St Mary's Crossing Signal Box (Colour Schemes)

Inside the fence.
IainS

St Mary's Crossing Signal Box (Colour Schemes)

Postby IainS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:36 pm

St Mary's Crossing Signal Box is located between Kemble and Stroud. The current colour scheme is a somewhat unusual all over green. I have been searching for some time for photographs of the colour schemes of the box during British Rail Western Region and Great Western Days but, all bar one colour photograph from the pages of "Steam Between Swindon and the Severn" by Mike Artlett & David Lockett, I have been unable to locate any others. Can anybody assist me in my search. I have no doubt that the likes of Norman Lockett took a number of photographs at any one location when out with their camera so access to his photo library may be one answer to my quest. The reason for the colour schemes is to enable completion of a scratch built model of the signal box in question.

I await any response in anticipation

Iain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by IainS on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Re: St Mary's Crossing Signal Box (Colour Schemes)

Postby Tim V » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:23 pm

What makes you think it wasn't painted in the standard colours?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

IainS

Postby IainS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:44 pm

The one colour print that I have is dated c1961 but shows only one side of the signal box. Whilst they are no doubt standard colours for that time it is how they are applied to the whole structure itself which is not clear.

Iain

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 am

What's the precise period/date of your planned model, please Iain?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

IainS

Postby IainS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 pm

No particular period or date. As far back as one can go with the information that may be available. Anything pre the current green colour (or grey in some older photos). There have been a number of minor alterations to the structure over the years, that I have observed, from the info received so far, such as differing styles of stair case and landing, a window below the stairs has been bricked up at some time, the box name plate was removed at some stage (and sold at a previous railway memorabelia auction I remember seeing on the internet). Even the crossing gates and crossing surface have altered as the years have passed.

Iain

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm due a (work-related) visit there in the not-too-distant future. Signalboxes etc. often have old photos on the walls, I'll see if there's anything of interest.
Tim M

IainS

Postby IainS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Any assistance will be appreciated. I await your response with baited breath.

Iain

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 pm

IainS wrote:Any assistance will be appreciated. I await your response with baited breath.

Iain

Iain, best not to hold your breath too long, the work-related visit won't be until September at the earliest (I'd like it to be sooner, but there's just too much other stuff going on...). But I will report back when I do go.
Tim M

Return to “Railway Buildings”