Platform flagstones

Inside the fence.
steve howe

Platform flagstones

Postby steve howe » Sat May 28, 2022 2:31 pm

Needing to re-surface a fairly large area of platform on Watermouth which is GWR pre- War2 period. I'm thinking the slabs would date from the late 19thC when the line was built. Scale Model Scenery do a printed sheet which, online,https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/tx228-oo-concrete-slab-platform-texture-sheets-with-concrete-coping--pk-of-5-oo4mm176-10284-p.asp looks OK but states they are concrete slabs whereas I suspect the GWR would have used stone. Weathering with pastel chalks might help reduce the 'printed' look, but I am wondering if any alternatives are available?

Steve

Tim V

Re: Platform flagstones

Postby Tim V » Sat May 28, 2022 4:27 pm

I have seen many variations on platform flagstones and edging stones on the prototype. I would go with what you want to do - as Watermouth is freelance.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat May 28, 2022 9:43 pm

Slaters do a sheet of flagstones but they are quite uniform. However the forming process gives them nice rounded edges.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 am

Individual moulded plastic paving slabs are available from PPP in the Carrs scenery range (originally Formcraft, later C&L). Obviously need "laying" and painting but that gives you the option of choosing the colour(s).

I laid them overlapped 50/50 but was later advised by Brian Lewis who owned C&L for some time that they should be 1/3 - 2/3, which is how the Wills Victorian Stone Paving sheets are laid out. Slaters also list embossed Plasticard paving.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun May 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Thanks guys,
The downside of the embossed plastikard sheets is the rounded edges, and the fact that the grooves are overscale, Scale Model Scenery also do a laser etched card 0.8mm thick which looks very nice, but again, the grooves are deeply prominent. In real paving, as in brickwork, the surface is virtually flush. I'm wondering if the etched/embossed sheets could be 'grouted' in some way to give a flat finish. Modern photo-realistic brick and stone papers have come a long way from the days of Superquick and Hamblings and could be due for a renaissance!

Steve

mtaylor

Postby mtaylor » Mon May 30, 2022 10:02 am

Yours was a timely post as I have just finished weathering the platforms on my 1930s era model of an ex GNR station and goods yard at Morley in West Yorkshire.

When I was building the platforms I was faced with similar problems to you in that the propriety products representing Yorkstone pavings and edgings were not suitable.I finally decided to bite the bullet and make my own.

The basic material I used was 60 thou plasticard. I scribed lines representing the end joints between the pavings across the sheet. The sheet was then cut into strips of varying width at 90 degrees to the scribed lines. The strips were then “distressed” with a file to represent a riven top surface and irregular edges.

I have attached some photos to show the results. If you would like any further details please get in touch.

Mike Taylor
FBC587FD-6BA8-46E0-99D9-C6D56E556D87.jpeg
5FAB60A7-5D79-4AE8-A4FF-702B23AD51F2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Railway Buildings”