The Newcastle Mail.

barrowroad

The Newcastle Mail.

Postby barrowroad » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:41 pm

Mike Garwood kindly built a stowage van and sorting van to add to a sorting van I obtained from Graham Warburton some while ago. The three vehicles now make up part of the Newcastle Mail train which left Bristol TM at 7.25pm. The full train now contains five ex LMS Hornby coaches and in the video the train is hauled by 45561 Saskatchewan a Bachmann model I converted to P4 and which has been expertly weathered by Gerry Beale. A big thank you to Mike and Gerry for their help with this train.

nberrington

Re: The Newcastle Mail.

Postby nberrington » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:20 pm

Fantastic! So much atmosphere in what you've done to date!

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:38 am

Thank you. Progress on the scenery is mainly down to covid lockdown - at least it had one positive for me :)

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:59 pm

Towards the start of the video theres 2 alignment dowels in the front of the baseboard. Is there a scenic board to go on the front?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:48 pm

Excellent bit of running Robin.

That looks like a minivan parked in Hemmings Parade so that would set the scene as at least early 1960s. Within a few years the Postal would be handled by a Peak. My gang used to hang out by the bridge where the Midland line crossed the Western at the north end of Lawrence Hill. As we went into autumn, once the Postal had growled up the bank it was dusk so too dark to read any more numbers. Wandering home, we would then hopefully be able to underline a few new cops in our Abcs before wasting ten minutes on the homework we should have done earlier. Happy Days!

Roy

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Hi Jim, When my friend Chris constructed the baseboards we decided that it would be sensible to add dowels to all the scenic boards 'just in case'. The original idea was to have the viewing side on the other side hence the roundhouse is sectioned to enable viewing into it and the coal plant lifting gear. My house move and the new large shed enabled the enlarged version of the layout but this meant the viewing changed to the opposite side.
I will be using one set shortly to add a small additional scenic section at the back of the shed to position the water softening tank. So in conclusion a bit of forward planning has worked.

Roy the green minivan is a homage to my first car although it post dates the closure of the shed - I bought it second or maybe third hand.

Return to “barrowroad”