Bachmann B1 61372

barrowroad

Bachmann B1 61372

Postby barrowroad » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:50 pm

A while ago I converted a Bachmann B1 to P4 and it has recently been in the paintshop for a heavy weathering job courtesy of my friend David Clarke.
During the early 1960's B1's from Sheffield - Canklow shed - made fairly regular appearances in Bristol most of which were in a pretty filthy state.
David has done a great job and here is a video which I took this morning in my shed - it was rather cold in there and required a coat and hat to withstand the 15 minutes it took to take the video. Hope you like it.

Philip Hall

Re: Bachmann B1 61372

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Very nice, Robin. I sympathise about the temperature - the radiator is working overtime in my workshop to get it up to comfortable!

Philip

Albert Hall

Postby Albert Hall » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 pm

Very nice weathering Robin. There was frequently a grimy B1 simmering away in the yard on Saturday mornings around 1963/4. I understand they relieved a Paignton - Newcastle service on the Bristol avoiding line without a station stop at Temple Meads. I recall one languished inside the Barrow Road roundhouse for the best part of a week with a 'Not To Be Moved' board attached presumably having been failed. The number 61394 or something very similar sticks in my mind for that one. 61158 appeared a few times. For my book, Michael Beale (son of Donald Beale of S&D fame) supplied me with a photo from his collection of 61372 traversing Dr Days Junction off the Rhubarb Curve from North Somerset Junction. That suggests that it worked up Filton bank rather than passing Barrow Road onto Fishponds bank, regaining the Bristol - Gloucester line via Stoke Gifford and Westerleigh.

Roy

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:28 am

Thank you Roy for your comment about David's weathering.
As you say quite a few SW/NE trains exchanged engines on the Temple Meads bypass line at St Philips Marsh and then went via North Somerset Junction and Rhubarb curve to join the South Wales line up through Lawrence Hill and up Filton Bank to eventually join the Gloucester line at Westerleigh.
I have a photo of 61372 passing through Lawrence Hill station on a northbound train - 1V10 - not sure what that was and also another taken in the carriage sidings at the side of Barrow Road shed with 1V23 on the smokebox.

Robin

Return to “barrowroad”