Bristol Barrow Road - Storage Sidings Turntable

barrowroad

Bristol Barrow Road - Storage Sidings Turntable

Postby barrowroad » Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm

At long last I have an operational turntable at the end of the storage sidings.
The actual turntable was built in the 1990's for the Glevum Group layout 'Brinkley' by Peter Daveney. Peter took the turntable with him when he left the group and I purchased it from him about four years ago in an unfinished state.
Since then I have added additional rivet detail to the main girders and added a pick up and drive mechanism in order to get it operational.
The turntable has a MERG TTSM Turntable Controller(Stepper Motor) kit 79 which uses a Stepper Motor and Reduction Gearbox sourced from RS Components. I am not a member of MERG nor do I have the skills to make up the electronic board so a BIG thank you to Bill Newstead, a member of our area group, for building it for me.
The DCC track power comes via a Tam Valley Auto-reverser with electrical pick up on one side of the bridge via the turntable ring and the other via the turntable shaft.
Having set up everything the MERG unit worked perfectly but I found the Auto-reverser shut down when the PSX1 circuit breaker tripped the Zone for the turntable, much to my annoyance.
Thanks to Digitrains and Coastal DCC for advice on how to slow down the trip speed on the PSX1 so that the Auto-reverser could function before the circuit breaker trip.
Anyway enough of my ramblings here is 45561 Saskatchewan completing a full turn.

Dave Holt

Re: Bristol Barrow Road - Storage Sidings Turntable

Postby Dave Holt » Tue May 17, 2022 10:12 am

Very nice, Robin, though added rivet detail for a fiddle yard item may be a bit OTT?.
Looks to be about its limit with a Jubilee or perhaps a Scot. How about anything longer?
Dave.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 pm

Dave Holt wrote:Looks to be about its limit with a Jubilee or perhaps a Scot. How about anything longer?

Send them round the triangle at Mangotsfield?
Regards
Noel

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Dave, I might try Mike G's Brit......

Robin

Return to “barrowroad”