Bachmann Dukedog P4 Conversion

barrowroad

Bachmann Dukedog P4 Conversion

Postby barrowroad » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:11 pm

I have just completed a P4 conversion of a Bachmann Dukedog for my friend David Clarke. I was provided with a good set of notes by Peter Hill for a conversion of this model to EM gauge which were very helpful although I did change his method of altering the brake rods to cope with the wider gauge.
IMG_20211126_150156238.jpg

IMG_20211126_150211494.jpg

Here is a short video of it's test run.

Please ask if you want any information on the conversion.

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

triumph3

Re: Bachmann Dukedog P4 Conversion

Postby triumph3 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:23 pm

Brilliant! This is the first Bachmann Dukedog I have seen in P4. It’s a lovely prototype and looks very elegant on the 4 coach train.

David

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:54 pm

Indeed. It looks like a very neat conversion and runs well in the video.
I seem to detect further scenic developments and the start of some point rodding. Are you planning to locate the stools before ballast laying and then do the rods after, Robin?
Dave.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:33 pm

A lot more scenery since you were last here Dave. I am going to just lay the concrete bases for the stools first and then lay the ballast.

Robin

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Very nice, one of my favourite prototypes. I well remember the local Croes Newydd and Oswestry ones when I was a lad. Seeing them approaching with the outside cranks flashing and whirling was so different to any other class of loco.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 pm

How did you do it, Robin?

I have been wondering about using the Branchlines (Westbury) etch for the City of Truro.

Steve Bomford

Postby Steve Bomford » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:03 am

You have done an excellent job, it would be great to known how you carried out the conversion.

Steve

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 pm

Well I hadn't realised there is a mine of information on converting RTR models on the 'downloadable instructions' part of the Alan Gibson website.
Most if not all are produced by Peter Hill and I would recommend them to anyone doing a conversion.

David provided a hard copy for me to convert his Dukedog and Peter Hill's instructions are for an EM conversion.
When it comes to the removal and modification of the brake gear he recommends cutting the plastic operating rodding to allow
1. removal of the wheels
2. gluing thin - 1mm wide - metal strip to the plastic stubs to give the extra clearance for EM wheels.

More clearance is needed for P4 and I removed the brake rods completely by pulling/twisting them from their mountings in the chassis. Some broke off but this does not matter.
My replacements are made from 1.5mm OD brass tube which has an internal bore of 0.8mm which takes 0.8mm N/S wire.
I drilled out the holes in the chassis to 1.5mm, cut four 6mm lengths of the tube and glued them into the drilled holes in the chassis.
2mm goes into the hole and 4mm protrudes to give the correct width for P4 brake gear.
Next cut off the plastic supports at the back of the brake shoes and drill a 0.8mm hole at the top of the shoe to take a length of the N/S wire.
Now glue a length of wire into the hole in the brake shoe.
The Brake shoes with the N/S can now be inserted into the brass tube giving you removal brake gear.

I used this method after cutting the operating rods but I think my method permits leaving out this operation so the pairs of brake shoes and operating rodding remain intact.
IMG_20211124_163943700.jpg

This photo shows the rear right replacement brass rod in place with it's plastic brake shoe in place.

Pete Hill's instructions for the Dukedog are below.

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Bachm ... ukedog.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Very nice job, Robin.

I have done five of these now, two EM and three P4, and they have been wonderful runners as your video shows. I did the brake gear a little differently to yours; as far as I remember I left the hangers as they were since the shoes were almost in line with the wheels and they’re not visible behind the frames. I did retain the plastic outside brake rodding, thinning it down on the inside with a scalpel, which made running it very close to the wheels a bit safer.

Philip

Return to “barrowroad”