Gas Holders at the rear of Barrow Road Shed

barrowroad

Gas Holders at the rear of Barrow Road Shed

Postby barrowroad » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Bristol Barrow Road had two Gas Holders at the rear of the shed.
These two gasholders were built by the Bristol Gas Company for the storage of gas made at their various gasworks in Bristol (Cannons Marsh, Avon Street & Stapleton Road). The first gasholder was built at Barton Hill in 1874 and had a capacity of about 1 million cubic feet, an additional lift increased the storage. In 1894 another gasholder on the same site with a capacity of 5 1/4 million cubic feet was built.
This second Gasholder dominated the sky line at the rear of the shed as seen in the attached photo.

View of Shed Sidings 27.6.1965 - Copy.jpg

Photo 27.6.1965 Robin Whittle
Barrow Road 006 (1280x902).jpg

The small Gasholder to the right and part of the large one to the left.
Photo Robin Whittle October 1965

I have yet to decide whether to add this gasholder to the list of 'to do' items for the layout [ perhaps a painted back scene ] but for now I have focussed on the small building on the gas company property that is on the layout. The building modelled is top left in the photo below.

img453.jpg

Photo Robin Whittle

I have been advised this red brick building would have been associated with the storage of gas from the gasworks and then distribution of gas from the gasholders to the district. It would have housed the plant associated with this most likely governors for changing the pressure for distribution. The building is vented to allow the escape of gas.

IMG_20211112_163654162.jpg

IMG_20211112_163812234.jpg

The model of the building is sectioned as it's footprint is not all on the layout.

Any recommendations for painting a Gasholder backscene?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bécasse

Re: Gas Holders at the rear of Barrow Road Shed

Postby bécasse » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:42 pm

One possibility is to "model" a foggy day and only have faint outlines of the gas holders (and everything else depicted) on the painted back scene. This has the twin advantages that they are "there" but don't overwhelm the 3D model in front of them and that perspective becomes much less of an issue when little detail is visible. I might be inclined to depict the holders well down in their tracks too.

Look around on the internet for photos of various things taken on foggy days to get a feel for how things half disappear in the gloom.

ted.stephens

Postby ted.stephens » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:43 am

A detailed model of a gasworks was built for the Southwark Bridge layout and it provides a scenic break for trains to exit to the fiddle yard.
Phoenix Gasworks.jpg

Drawings and background research material used to create the models can be downloaded from our website. There is also a set of videos explaining the various components of a gasworks and how each model was built.

Gas Holder.jpg

Links
Main site - http://www.southwarkbridgelayout.org.uk/
Gasworks videos http://www.southwarkbridgelayout.org.uk/gasworks
Gasworks downloads http://www.southwarkbridgelayout.org.uk/phoenix-gasworks

Of particular value to anyone considering building a model gasworks are the documents in the research section in downloads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:59 am

I'm inclined to agree with David, a suitably 'smoggy' day with the structures just visible using a slightly darker tone. Perhaps create paper stencils/masks of the structures and skyline and airbrush in layers in slightly lighter and darker tones?

Steve

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice chaps I might have a play around with a painted backscene.
I have scaled the larger gasholder and it measures 89cm in diameter and 52cm in height so as it will dominate that end of the layout I need to get it right.
First I intend to make a detachable backscene board to which I can attach a suitably sized sheet of paper or card and try some pencil sketches to see what it looks like.

Robin

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:00 pm

It's worth remembering that buildings and structures painted on the backscene should be less than 4mm scale depending on how far back they would stand behind the plane of the backscene.

I recommend 'parallel perspective' for all buildings and structures painted on a backscene (i.e. avoid the temptation to have lines converging towards a vanishing point, as you would in a conventional painting).

Buildings and structures on the backscene should also be a lighter and bluer shade depending on how far back they are supposed to be in the scene. I have seen the idea of a misty/foggy day used to good effect on several layouts, although on my own layout [the Burford Branch] the effect is more like hazy sunshine.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:05 am

Crikey Robin, I hadn't realised that they were that big, so perhaps I won't volunteer to build one for you! It would be an interesting project though.

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Oh go on John I sure you'd love to make it for me :)

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:22 pm

I think you might need a wider shed Robin!

Return to “barrowroad”