Proscale Princess built by Alan Sibley

barrowroad

Proscale Princess built by Alan Sibley

Postby barrowroad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Earlier this year I came into possession of a Proscale Princess which was originally built by Alan Sibley. The model,46200 Princess Royal, was DC with a Portescap motor and I have converted it to DCC for use on Barrow Road - not strictly prototypical but I like the model.
Alan obviously was sparing in his use of solder to assemble the kit as I had to re-attach a lot of small parts which fell off when I breathed on them!!!
Hope you like the video

Robin

triumph3

Re: Proscale Princess built by Alan Sibley

Postby triumph3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Robin, Excellent, bits fell of even when it was in its box, one of the outside steam pipes was in the bottom of the box when I opened it!
It’s not been run in at least 15 years, so it’s really good to see it running well. You just need to put a special train headboard on the front, prototype for everything!

David

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:33 am

Gees that is lovely. A bit annoying regarding having to resolder a number of bits back on. I am slowly going to the less is more route a the moment. When castings and etches are being installed using as least solder as I can to save on the clean up. Many years ago (MRJ66) Mr Haynes built the A3's and there was as subsequent letter about how little solder and it was described as a small rhino horn. I have found this a correct description as I would say it is the equivilent of about 0.5mm sphere of solder.... if that! Infact I have been using 145degree solder to tin a surface of a item on the fret then drag the soldering iron away from the part across the tab. Then removing it to be soldered onto the assembly, either with a conventional iron or a resistance soldering unit. All sloshed through with red label flux.

Its all just techniques and practice I tell you! :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 am

DougN wrote:... I am slowly going to the less is more route a the moment. When castings and etches are being installed using as least solder as I can to save on the clean up...

Bin there done that and things started falling off. While I do like the look of nice solder free finish I've decided that something that comes out of the ultrasonic bath in the same number of pieces as it went in is to be preferred.
Its all just techniques and practice I tell you! :D

Absolutly

Return to “barrowroad”