February Meeting

Marshlink Finescale Area Group (East Sussex / Kent Borders)
GregC

February Meeting

Postby GregC » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:44 am

The group met for the second session of the new year on 'Storm Eunice Eve' (17th February) at the St Mary's church centre in Rye. 8 members attended.

The theme for the evening was determining what each person hoped to get from his membership of the group. While there was some support for the idea of building a small layout as a focus for developing knowledge and skills for those who had no experience of different aspects of such a project, as had been discussed at our previous meeting,  in general it was felt that, at this time, this was too ambitious for a small group with limited time and no storage facilities.  A long-term aspiration perhaps?
In addition to the social benefits from meeting a group of like minded modellers on a monthly basis, a view expressed by many of the group, the opportunity to see what projects others were working on and learning from these was seen as a big plus. To this end Greg had brought in a whitemetal tank loco which has been causing much frustration in his efforts to make it look right. The original footplate castings had different wheelbases on either side leading him to scratchbuild a new running plate. A new venture for him. The loco does incorporate csb sprung suspenson (successfully) and Steve had already mentioned that it was a topic he wanted to learn more about.

Other areas of interest mentioned were signal building, structure building, whitemetal soldering, building a single slip, use of a lathe, 3D printing, layout photography and static grass application, all of which have expertise within the group and the opportunity for knowledge transfer.

It is hoped that at our March meeting members will bring items for discussion.

Thanks as usual to Steve who provided the tea and biscuits.

Greg Coady

Noel

Re: February Meeting

Postby Noel » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:53 pm

No criticism intended, but may I suggest for the future that the heading should show whose meeting it is?
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:04 pm

It is in the Marshlink AG subforum so there is no confusion. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

James Walters

Postby James Walters » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:19 pm

What is the date of the March meeting please? I'd like to attend if possible.

James

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:38 pm

James Walters wrote:What is the date of the March meeting please? I'd like to attend if possible.

James

Hi James
I'll send you the details.
Look forward to seeing you.
Steve
Steve Carter

Return to “Marshlink Finescale Area Group”