Starter kit problem or not?

DaiDavies

Starter kit problem or not?

Postby DaiDavies » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:19 pm

Hi, I have installed my first starter kit (minus motor) in a Bachmann 2251. All working fine initially, but the loco is now not so responsive to the controller: takes time to stop, sometimes goes in the wrong direction to controller command.
Would this be a problem with the controller, receiver, or what? Batteries fully charged, rebound, etc. suggestions please.

Tribus

Re: Starter kit problem or not?

Postby Tribus » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm

I had an issue with my Micron Controller (TX) and my charging connection in the starter kit which I bought from the stores last summer. On Ted Scannell's recommendation I contacted Andy Rutter directly at andy@micronradiocontrol.co.uk. He responded rapidly and sorted my issues. 10/10 for customer service :thumb
I am now making promising progress and hope to post my adventures with R/C at some point, but until then, good luck!
Russ

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:56 pm

DaiDavies wrote:Hi, I have installed my first starter kit (minus motor) in a Bachmann 2251. All working fine initially, but the loco is now not so responsive to the controller: takes time to stop, sometimes goes in the wrong direction to controller command.
Would this be a problem with the controller, receiver, or what? Batteries fully charged, rebound, etc. suggestions please.

Hello Dai, a couple of thoughts.. is the inertia control on the transmitter turned up? The LED in the on/off button will flash until the loco stops if it is, then it will shine steadily until the speed control is turned up again. With the centre-off controller, the loco will continue in the original direction if the control knob is suddenly reversed with the inertia control on.
Also possible is if the speed knob is not set to zero when the transmitter is switched on, or if the transmitter is on first and again not set to zero when the receiver is energised. These sometimes cause unexpected results.

I hope it is one of these, but another thought is that the Bachmann original motor may be drawing more current than the 500mA @ 6 volts that the receiver was designed for, and that has damaged it. If that is the case, then you should find that an email to Andy at Micron will be worthwhile.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

DaiDavies

Postby DaiDavies » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:47 pm

Thanks for your quick reply on this. I have ‘redone’ the installation, and it seems ok again. My guess is speed setting issue, not inertia control. —- but, what do I know? I have an RX 6 receiver in case it is lack of oomph from thr RX4, but I am hopeful it is not. Btw, I had the loco pulling 4 coaches up a gradient effortlessly.

Return to “Radio Control”