More on batteries

zebedeesknees

More on batteries

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:16 pm

The supply options expands; I have just had really quick service from Aliexpress:- https://www.aliexpress.com/af/li-po-bat ... 0714065828

- and the choice of sizes is now enormous. Ones to fit any bunker, tanks, or tender - 'Suit you sir?'

Prices are good, four from here for less than the price of one from a UK supplier. Just keep an eye on the shipping costs of some.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

zebedeesknees

Re: More on batteries

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 pm

Further, Li-Po batteries with clear and obvious internal protection circuit as shown behind the transparent top here:-

502025 Bat. 200mAh.jpg

-can be safely and reliably charged direct from a USB 5v supply, using cables such as you might find by entering this:- 'usb a universal power cable' into your favourite on-line store. Connectors of your choice, just get the polarity right!

That protection circuit will prevent the battery being overcharged, and also turn it off before complete, damaging discharge. Up until then, of course, it is the nature of such battery technology that your loco will not slow down or lose power at any time before the circuit shuts the output off.

The battery pictured is nominally 5 x 20 x 25mm, but actually 20mm wide by 27mm long by 5.8mm thick, and fits comfortably in the bunker of a 14xx...

Ted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(A purists' purist)

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Looks interesting Ted. When can we expect to see “Christine” running under battery power? ;) No, seriously, is it possible?

Cheers,

David

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:56 pm

David Knight wrote:Looks interesting Ted. When can we expect to see “Christine” running under battery power? ;) No, seriously, is it possible?

Cheers,

David

It would be possible quickly and simply, with a shunter's truck or coal wagon permanently attached, carrying a battery and Rx wired through to the motor. If I were to start the kit again, that would involve some changes to the internal design as it is, something I did mention some time ago. But it is 'finished', unlike so many of the projects on my workbench, and I tend to prioritise what pleases me on the day. That at the moment is the two Collett Goods locos and tenders, and fitting this new battery to the 14xx followed by some tidying-up of the cosmetics.

No, the list of things that might take precedence over modifying 'Christine' is enormous!

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Return to “Radio Control”