More Radio Control Questions

Winander

More Radio Control Questions

Postby Winander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:08 pm

As I haven't started building track yet, a battery supplied RC option is of interest. One thing discouraging me is the functionality of the transmitter/chip. I may be totally wrong as I have only done minimal research, but why can't DCC commands be sent over RC, it is, after all, just a packet of data?

This would provide the wealth of functionality available in DCC and save re-inventing that wheel, or am I barking up a tree....
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

zebedeesknees

Re: More Radio Control Questions

Postby zebedeesknees » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:04 pm

Winander, you say you haven't built track yet, but have you invested in any DCC kit? I steered clear of DCC myself, not seeing any advantage for me, and the prices... Plus you still need track wiring, pickups etcetera. Therefore I have no idea what there might be in DCC that is desirable but not available in r/c apart from sound - yet.
I am aware that there are such things as cvs - control variables - but I have no idea how extensive the options are. There is 'programming' available in the Micron/DT receivers which equate to cvs, perhaps if there is something that you might desire that can't be done with these:- http://www.deltang.co.uk/rx62b-v611-p.htm - you or anyone with DCC experience might take the trouble to enlighten..
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:12 pm

http://bluerailtrains.com/latest-news/
If you want radio with DCC.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Serious question, could you fit R/C and battery in here? http://www.clag.org.uk/coronation0-4-0.html

Cheers,

David

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:41 pm

It's not going to happen now, but it would be possible, and an interesting challenge. I would use an RX63, a smaller 4v coreless motor, leaving room for the Rx in the tank, and a button cell 'somewhere'! That's the configuration except that the Rx is under the roof of the the High Level 'Husky', which Chris Gibbon filmed running on no rails at all on his counter at Scaleforum 2019. The Husky is a little smaller than the Coronation, but I would guess that there is marginally more space. I think it was Will L. who challenged us to do it in a small tank loco - that's the 14xx on the CLAG site..
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Winander

Postby Winander » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have bought and made MERG DCC equipment, but nothing else. As I said, I haven't any track and the only experience I have at operating is on others' models. I do like sound and particularly like the 'realism' of inertia achievable with DCC control. If I was able, I would use something other than a worm drive to enable the wheels to drive the gearbox to get more realism.

I asked the question only to ascertain if it were possible. I did not understand why providers were not just producing a chip that piggy backed onto DCC chips - one reason would be another board to squeeze in.

After looking at the Deltang site recommended by Ted, their controllers do appear to support inertia and there is an array of other functions that I barely understand. I clearly need to understand more about DCC and then RC to be able to compare what's available in each.

regards,
Richard
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm

David Knight wrote:Serious question, could you fit R/C and battery in here? http://www.clag.org.uk/coronation0-4-0.html

Having built a Coronation from High Level a few years ago, and crammed a lot of DCC electronics into similar and much smaller models, plus a RC bus in 2mm scale, then yes, RC in that loco should be possible, with the battery properly hidden. Would almost certainly start with a different motor, and possibly different gearbox. It needs planning as some parts will need modification or changes into assembly. Its much harder shoehorning into something already built.

Winander wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have bought and made MERG DCC equipment, but nothing else. As I said, I haven't any track and the only experience I have at operating is on others' models. I do like sound and particularly like the 'realism' of inertia achievable with DCC control. If I was able, I would use something other than a worm drive to enable the wheels to drive the gearbox to get more realism.

You could look at "N20" motor-gearboxes. These usually (depends on configuration) have spur gears throughout (no worms). Between £3 and £10 each, from Ebay, Amazon, Ali-express (wider range if dealing directly with Chinese sources). The "folded over" types are short enough to fit transversely in tank engines. The "in line" types need either a set of bevel gears, or a crown+pinion to move drive through 90 degrees.

Not sure what you mean by "more realism" though about worm drives per-se, other than the ability for loco inertia to drive them backwards.

The key issue in RC of model rails is numbers... DCC is now fairly well established, dominant with a lot of manufacturers world-wide. RC is still niche, with most providers not even at "cottage industry" scale, and there is no established standard for the components/systems. Even if Bachmann US is "having a dabble" with a couple of releases, its still just dabbling.

- Nigel

Return to “Radio Control”