Simple start

zebedeesknees

Simple start

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Forget batteries for now, the idea is just to see if radio control is a viable option. Our locos already have pickups and generally, 12 volt motors. So I wanted to try to fit radio control to one to see how difficult it would be, and if it would be worth the effort.

My Bachmann diesels have very reliable pickups even after re-wheeling, so a Class 20 was volunteered.

I bought a DT transmitter (Tx) -22 kit and a receiver (Rx) -61 from DT or Deltang, now marketed by Micron Radio Control.

Fitting was easy, the realisation that polarity would be an issue was the only problem, apart from finding space. So a bridge rectifier was fitted to a piece of stripboard, and that mounted to the bonnet end of the Bachmann chassis. It turned out to be convenient to mount the Rx on the end, as shown in the pic. Wiring involved simply connecting the pickups to the AC input of the rectifier, and the motor to the outputs of the Rx. Since the pin spacing of the Rx is the same as that of the stripboard, and the connecting holes in the Rx are 'plated through', it was not necessary for trial to solder the connections to the Rx pcb, but slide it onto 0.7mm brass wire soldered onto the stripboard.

Voila! A radio controlled Class 20 for around £60. It works with DC on the track, and doesn't care which way round it is. It also works on DCC supplied track, so for those who have that, or wish to take a loco to a DCC fitted friend or club track, it still works from the Tx. The only thing it took me a while to get used to is that 'forward' is always forward, whichever way round the loco is placed. A promising start.

Ted.
DSCF0004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(A purists' purist)

dave_long

Re: Simple start

Postby dave_long » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:11 am

Doesn't that require your DC controller to be permanently on, to provide 9-12v to the RX. What advantage to you see from this use of Deltang? For me using Deltang was to get away from dirty track and track wiring. Plus if you just bypass the pick ups you can use it on others DC or DCC layouts anyway (provided you have a battery of course)

zebedeesknees

Re: Simple start

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm

The simple start is working on an assumption that most, if not all of us, have some sort of 12 volt DC supply, or an AC supply for DCC, available. A DC controller isn't required, just the power supply, an old-fashioned transformer with a rectifier, or a switched-mode 'wall wart' will do. On the test track at the Scaleforum last year we learned that some controllers are not compatible, it was a Pentroller I think, that provided a pwm on the track that the DT Rx wouldn't play with. A capacitor fitted 'after' the rectifier would have solved that should space have been available.
Other assumptions are that our locos are already equipped with pickups and 12 volt motors.
One advantage at this stage is independent control of all or any locos on any track with a DC or DCC supply, but without the need for section switching, in the same way as offered by DCC control.
When we get to battery power, there is no need to bypass the pickups if they are already installed, as they can be used to charge the battery.
The next step is to install a battery as demonstrated at Scaleforum this year, producing a loco which could be described as a hybrid...

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Return to “Radio Control”