Serjt-Dave

Re: LMS D1735 Brake Third

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 pm

David, yes your right. It didn't sound right calling it Oil leaking,

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:19 am

Back to work on the Brake Third well not exactly the coach as such but the punters that want to spend their existence going between Edington and Bridgewater. When I first started on the railway the punters were always referred to as Passengers not now we have to call them customers. I love winding the management up arguing about this. If your on a ship, your a passenger, a bus your a passenger, a plane a passenger. If one of our beloved customers is fare dodging how can they be a customer as we've not had their custom. But they were still be a passenger. Anyway I digresses.

I do enjoy painting Modelu figures. I don't claim to be totally proficient with painting them and I'm still trying to warm to using acrylics but Modelu somehow make the task so much easier if you get what I mean?

And before anyone asks, I did enjoy shoving cocktail sticks up where the sun don't shine. LOL.

Keep Safe

Dave
20210310_201646.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:58 am

They've come out very nicely, Vlad. Looks like you've shaded the clothes exceptionally well. But how much is shading and how much from the natural contours of the figures?

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:53 am

Serjt-Dave wrote:Back to work on the Brake Third well not exactly the coach as such but the punters that want to spend their existence going between Edington and Bridgewater. When I first started on the railway the punters were always referred to as Passengers not now we have to call them customers. I love winding the management up arguing about this. If your on a ship, your a passenger, a bus your a passenger, a plane a passenger. If one of our beloved customers is fare dodging how can they be a customer as we've not had their custom. But they were still be a passenger. Anyway I digresses.

I do enjoy painting Modelu figures. I don't claim to be totally proficient with painting them and I'm still trying to warm to using acrylics but Modelu somehow make the task so much easier if you get what I mean?

And before anyone asks, I did enjoy shoving cocktail sticks up where the sun don't shine. LOL.

Keep Safe

Dave
20210310_201646.jpg

Lovely figure painting Dave :thumb

My old railway company had some "bright spark" who came up with the idea of calling passengers not customers but travellers (something about "going on a journey" but I think I may have dozed off by then). A lot of excitement prevailed at this apparently amazing proposal until someone asked if caravans were going to be parked at the station :oops:

Anyway, I hope your passengers enjoy their journeys going between Edington and Bridgewater.

Keep up the good work mate.
Last edited by Steve Carter on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Carter

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Thanks Guy. I try and just shade the natural contours. With Modelu this is very easy and more natural. I only add shading in other areas like the chap in the brown suit he originally not wear a suit, so I added lapels and the bottom of the jacket and oh yes patches on the elbows. For shading I use the main colour and darken it down. I also darken areas like the end of the sleeve of the edge of the neckline etc.

Thanks Steve. I used to say the only good railway management is dead railway management but then it was pointed out to me there's never been any good railway management anyway alive or dead. LOL.

Keep Safe

Dave

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:46 am

Even today, most clothes don't shine [although 1950s clothes did go shiny in places eventually due to prolonged wear in a much grubbier environment than today]. In the 1950s shoes usually did though, probably something to do with the millions of men and women in the services during the war, and most other leather items did. Artificial fibres were still mostly in the future, so virtually all clothes for day-to-day wear were wool or cotton, as other natural fibres were expensive. Domestic washing machines were unknown, and sending clothes to the laundry regularly was costly, so most washing was done at home without mechanical assistance apart from a mangle. The net result was that coats especially, but also other items such as trousers and suits, tended to be dark colours, which showed the dirt less. Lighter colours tended to be worn by those who could afford to have someone to do the washing for them, or were kept for Sunday best.
Regards
Noel

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:37 am

I've not matted them yet but will do before being installed in the coach. Your correct Noel with what your saying about everyday clothing was more muted in colour etc. As they will be seated in a compartment coach with a fairly dark interior I wanted them to stand out more so I opted for a slightly lighter palate. The lady the green dress is a more well to do hence the colours I chose and she's a bit miffed having to travel in a 3rd class compartment after having paid for 1st class. Similar with the guy in the brown suit and his wife in the blue dress. The old dear has treated herself to a new jacket, the first thing she's brought for herself since the war. And the girl in the yellow dress, well it's her birthday and she's having a day out with her mum and brother. These are my excuses and I'm sticking to them. LOL. Joking aside those Customers er I mean Passengers on the platform and others in and around the station etc I will be more subdued with their clothing colours.

Keep Safe

Dave

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:26 pm

I followed Ralph's suggestion earlier in the thread about using a Palatine LMS coach underframe. Having now built it as far as the kit components go, I can thoroughly recommend it, especially if your prototype coach has a rivetted rather than a welded underframe. I've attached some photos of it in its current state.
There are still a number of components to add from Comet and elsewhere, but I wanted to show what the kit provides. I added the buffer housings as these were much easier to do before fitting the bufferbeams. The cranks for the vacuum cylinders are loose awaiting the cylinders. Having just one end step is deliberate as the underframe is for a Driving Trailer.
Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 pm

That looks to be a very nice neat and well detailed basic underframe, Bryan. Far better than the Comet lace doily effort.
The inner longitudinals, under the battery box, etc., look to be brass rather than the N/S of the rest. Are these your own additions?
Dave.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi Dave,
I should have pointed these out. They are specified in the instructions but you need to provide your own 1mm x 1mm L section. The plate to support the regulator box is part of the kit.
One of the main differences with this kit is that the bottoms of the cross trusses are designed to be correctly level with the top of the longitudinal trusses, so the brass parts automatically sit at the correct height.
Bryan

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Hi All. Bryan your Palatine chassis looks rather nice and I most certainly be using them on the next two coach builds. As said they provide so much more detail than the comet ones {correction there are details on the comet ones} . Not only the rivet detail are provided but the supports for the running boards etc.

My Brake Third has just been lined out but will have to wait till I get the correct transfer for it running number. At the moment I'm cutting out little images to go on the compartment walls. Great fun!

All Best and Keep Safe

Dave

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:08 pm

Hi Dave,
The kit has a jig for drilling the solebars for the running board brackets, but the brackets themselves are your own 0.45mm wire. After fitting, I ground them to take them back slightly from the edge and to flatten the bottom.
On my earlier coaches, I printed representations of mirrors and pictures for the compartments, then painted the interior wood colour around them before fitting to the compartment dividers. This sounds easier than consistently placing little rectangles.
Bryan

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Just finished off the interior of my Brake Third and I think it's turned out good enough. I really like the carriage posters but the mirrors I think could have been better. I was going to go very silly {me silly?} by adding all the different cupboards, emergency coupling etc but when the coach is all closed up you can't really see inside. I'm just waiting on a new batch of transfers so I can number the coach up and then I can finish it.

All Best and Keep Safe
20210322_152640.jpg
20210322_152728.jpg

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:56 pm

I've finally finished this coach. I really cocked up the glazing of the Guards duckets. I thought I was using a similar product to Delux's Glue and Glaze, but no I was not. I then thought I could use clear gloss varnish and filled the voids up with it. But the shrinkage meant I couldn't get a smooth even surface. I then thought it would be best to repair the damage due to the varnish spilling etc and walk away. This was my first attempt in just using a airbrush to do the weathering. I did use some powders just for highlighting. Hopefully I will learn from my mistakes and the next coach will be better.

All Best

Dave

2021-06-18 20.57.51.jpg
2021-06-18 21.00.29.jpg
2021-06-18 21.01.10.jpg
2021-06-18 21.02.10.jpg

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:41 pm

That’s lovely work Dave. Thanks for sharing your process.

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Very nice, Dave.
Just a thought, though. I would think that coach ends were generally dirtier than the sides - the sides and windows would get the occasion wash down, but the ends probably not.
Dave.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:35 am

Dave Holt wrote:Just a thought, though. I would think that coach ends were generally dirtier than the sides - the sides and windows would get the occasion wash down, but the ends probably not.

Agreed. The other thought I had is that wartime staff shortages were mostly resolved by 1948, so that while a local passenger coach in an industrial area might be a bit grubby, a country branch coach would probably have seen a porter at its home station detailed to attend to it with bucket of soapy water and long handled brush on a regular basis...
Regards
Noel

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks Nerrington, I'm glad you like it.

Dave. I did make them quite grubby, honest. It doesn't show up as much in the images. They are certainly not the gloss black I painted them. LOL.

Noel. Yes your probably correct in what your saying. However the image I was using as a reference show the coach in a fairly grim state, so I assume it must have been the Porters day off when the photo was taken. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Dave the coach looks excellent.
I think the Porter went sick when he was asked to clean that. He only does windows normally.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Return to “Serjt-Dave”