Johnson 1P

Serjt-Dave

Johnson 1P

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi All. As I was hoping to have the 4f done and dusted {HA!} I decided to start my next loco, a Johnson 1p 0-4-4 Tank Engine. This will be based around a Craftsman kit and the Rumney Models chassis.

The Craftsman kit I got off of evil bay and it came with a set of Ultrascale wheels. As this is a round top 1p I'll be making it as S&D engine 1303 or as it was later 58047.

As you do, I started with the chassis. The Rumney chassis goes together well and it has some nice features like the removable keeper plate which makes wheel removal so much more easy. I've basically got it a rolling chassis but due to me ordering the wrong hornblocks for the bogie production has halted. Whilst I wait for the replacement parts I thought I'd get on the the body. Lord know how old the design of the Craftsman kit is but it does go together quite well but it's certainly not up to today's standard. First thing I had to change was the buffer beam. 1303 had rounded ends and was quite thick. So I rounded the ends of buffer beam etch and fitted them to the footplate along with the valances. I then using scrap etch strips built up the thickness of the buffer beam and then filed them to match the rounded end of the buffer beam. This loco didn't have any overhang of the footplate over the buffer beam so I filed it flush. The buffers were added next but they needed to have packing pieces added behind them on the buffer beam. I then soldered in place the rear bunker. I cocked up a bit hear, I should have soldered the bunker rear as far forwards as I could to create more of a ledge between the bunker and buffer beam. I made up the tank sides next but the tank tops had to be reduced in length as they came to far into the cab. Once they were shortened { and yes I did cut one too short} I soldered them to the tank sides but slightly below the top edge to create a lip. I added some thin sheeting to the inside of the tanks in the cab area to finish them off. I held off from fitting them on to the footplate until I had sorted out the back of the cab and the coal space etc. This kit was designed to take a Ringfield motor the arse of which filled the cab area. The bloody great hole had to be filled. I took the original part that fitted into the bunker and modified it. Where the coal would sit was plated over so I cut out the centre section to create the coal space and either side of the coal space would be the rear tanks {I didn't know there was water tanks in the coal bunker}. The front part of the original part is meant to fold down to form sort of legs to support the rear of the cab, I cut these just past the fold lines and at an angle which would become the front and top of the rear tanks. Using scrap material I made up and fitted the sides, back and the bottom of the coal space. Again using scrap material I made up the front of the bunker, coal space and tanks, fitting also the coal chute. This just left a hole in the top of the bunker inside the cab. On the real loco there was a locker in this position. I made up the lid of the locker out of some scrap and added a latch and hinges and soldered it into place. I had to make the lid slightly over size to cover the hole, but I think it works. Before fitting the top part of the cab I added spectacle plates over the windows, the front ones were made from washers the rear ones are the ones supplied with the kit and had bars in them which I removed and added better ones to the cab rear. Next I soldered the main tanks in place and added the beading to the top of the bunker and tanks. Before I soldered the top of the cab in place I made up a floor. As there were all sorts of funny angles and shapes to contend with I used paper templates. Once happy with a paper template I used it to make one from some brass sheet and of course it didn't fit. So much for the template. After some fettling I got the floor fit. I then soldered the top half of cab into place. As with all edging on a loco it would have had a beading covering it. The cab opening didn't have any supplied with the kit but I was lucky to find some etch beading in my scrap box.
Well that's the state of play with my 1p at the moment, I will keep on the the body works until the replacement arrives and I can get the chassis finished.

Keep Safe
20200823_200514.jpg
20200823_200638.jpg
20200823_200729.jpg

Paul Townsend

Re: Johnson 1P

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm

I have had one of these running on Highbridge for many years. Since it predates the Rumney chassis it has a DiY job which works adequately.
I have a second to build and that will have a Justin (Rumney) chassis.

I like your detailed mods and wonder if you will be do any of the Pete Tarver enhancements?

Bad luck about the lever frame and leg accident!

Serjt-Dave

Re: Johnson 1P

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks Paul. I think the first one I brought was about 1982 {ish} and paid £29 for it. Most of the ones I've got off E bay have been almost three times as much. I would have love to have some of Peters etches on my loco, especially the tank fillers but alas he's unable to produces the etches. If I can survive a Brassmasters 4f I can deal with anything. LOL.

Keep Safe

Return to “Serjt-Dave”