Track Cleaning Wagons. The Saga!

Serjt-Dave

Track Cleaning Wagons. The Saga!

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:05 am

Hi All. As stated from my thread on my last layout update, I decided I needed a more efficient way of cleaning my track, so I decided to go for a mobile type track cleaner. I was aware of the tanker one from the US which seem to work quite well and I think there is a British made version as well, but what caught my eye was the one available from Lanarkshire Models, where theirs fits inside a Hornby Stanier 20 ton Brake Van. I thought that would be just the ticket. They could be attached to a freight service and trundle round and not look too out of place. So parts were ordered. Over the next couple of days the items started to arrive in the post. The donor brake vans I got off of Evilbay and paid the princely sum of £10 for two brake vans. I cringed somewhat when I examined them, thinking I've got my work cut out hear to make them look anyway half decent but the underframes I thought NAH! No way. So I then ordered a couple of Bill Bedfords Stanier 20 ton Brake Van underframe kits, HAPPY DAYS! They arrived very promptly EP {no instructions though, thanks Bill} and so I cracked on and made up the basic chassis. At no point did I bring the body of the Hornby brake van or the chassis together until it was time to cut out the hole for the Lanarkshire track cleaner to be fitted. Ffffff... Blo....Dam and blast the body was somewhat smaller the the underframe. After much cursing of the railway gods and a generous offerings of tea and choccy biccys, I rummaged through my wagon kits draw and found a Jidenco 20 ton Brake Van. Suddenly the Hornby ones didn't seems as bad but there were two of theses kits {why in hell did I buy two of them? I must remember not to take drugs before going to a show}. Another thing they were of L&Y heritage, not usually found on the S&D so that would knock my plans of running them on a service train during a running session etc, but I was getting board with the whole idea of track cleaners so I pressed on. Taking a deep breath {and some more drugs} I opened the first kit and placed the etch in front of me. The instruction were basic and didn't mention the the etch fold were on the outside rather than in inside as is the norm. The whole thing went together reasonably well, modifying for the track cleaner and P4 items as I went along. Hopefully when I do the second vehicle I can sort these amendments out beforehand. There were no guidelines for fitting the sole bars, so had to disassemble them to allow for the springing units {David Bradwell types}. There was no real brake rigging to speak of with the kit other than four weird looking brake blocks on the W irons, they were removed. I'm not going to fit any brakes to these anyway, as the track cleaning unit takes up most of the floor space. The casting for the axle boxes had their own W irons cast in with them, so very carefully they were filed away and much to my surprise only on fell apart in the process {thank god for super glue}. The bottom running boards wouldn't fit unless you cut out the area around the axle boxes. This particular kit didn't come with a roof but the other one did have a thin sheet of plastic. I made one from card but will probably replace it with a plastic one. The chimney casting was totally unusable, so I used a bit of brass tube and a washer. The kit says to use 3' 6" wheels, but this made the ride height too high, so I swapped them for 3' 1" wheels which did the trick. Overall it turned out not to bad, some of the joints could be better but being etched in plate armor the heat required meant that if you allowed it to get too hot the joint seems started to pop. If it was going to be a display model I would go back and redo them but I'll just spray them in black weather the heck out of them. The important thing it runs well and the track cleaner works. In the instructions for the track cleaner, Lanarkshire Models say to use some thin tape to secure the cleaning cloth, but as I use a cleaning fluid this makes the tape come unstuck. I now tie some thin cotton around the drum. I might mess around and try to add a small container to hold the cleaning fluid and drip feed onto the cloth rather than having to stop the train and re-moisten the cloth. I plan on running them with one van at the front and run at the rear of a loco so I don't have to worry about turning the clearer train around to do siding etc. Anyway now to start on the second kit.
A A 1 Brake Van.jpg
The basic parts, what could go wrong?
A A 2 Brake Van.jpg
The slight amendment, I can cope with that.......!
A A 3 Brake Van.jpg
DOUGH!!!
A A 4 Brake Van.jpg
Brave or foolhardy?
A A 5 Brake Van.jpg
I survived it {ish} You can see the roller under the van
A A 6 Bake Van.jpg
Round Two. The original kit on the left and the add on's on the right
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Re: Track Cleaning Wagons. The Saga!

Postby nberrington » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 pm

I think it looks great. Those old Jidenco kits can seem to be a pigs ear, but you have a nice looking unusual model to show for your trouble! Well done, I like it.

PhilipT

Postby PhilipT » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:09 pm

The later Hornby (ex Airfix? ex Dapol?) LMS brake van is correct length for the Bill Bedford underframe.

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Dave, as soon as I saw this I thought - 'oh no what's he trying to do, that is completely the wrong van'. The track cleaner is designed for the old Airfix RTR guards van that Hornby took over to replace that dreadful toy one with the red light in it.... Yes the very one that can be had on Ebay for not very much more than what you paid, it's the correct length and the underframe is quite passable, the trackcleaner kit fits it easily. There are many hundreds of these track cleaner guardsvans running about on layouts around the world.... Yes and the instructions cover using fluid and tying a fine thread around the cloth on the roller as you have done. A realistic job can be done on the Airfix/Hornby van with correct buffers and vac pipes.

LMS Track Cleaner.jpg

Dave Franks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Okay everyone trying to upset me now. LOL. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that. I thought there must be a newer version done by Hornby {not including the latest release}. But hey look on the bright side of life. I've now got two chassis's for my PMK Stanier Brake Vans and I've found a use for two Jidenco kits. So all well that ends well.

Thanks for your comets guys and your Brake Van/cleaner Dave has turned out a treat.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:47 am

Finished constructing the second Jidenco brake van and replaced the first ones card roof with a plastic one. They run quite well in fact and so after a bit of a clean up off to the paintshop. I think I'll just spray them in plain matt black. These will be the first kits that I will use Acrylic Paints on.

Dave
00 AA Brake Van TC.jpg

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm

This afternoon I finished off the two brake vans I'll be using as my track cleaners. I decided to keep the livery simple after all they are not going to be seen in service on my layout. I also thought I'd use them as my first attempt in painting some stock just using acrylics. It's was nice using a paint that's not trying to kill you but I found that the two primers I used they didn't adhere to the brass very well. The Mig Ammo One Shot was a lot better but I found it a bit messing in cleaning up my airbrush. I don't know is there is a equivalent etch primer in acrylics? I think for the moment I'll stick with enamels for locos, coaching stock etc and use acrylics for buildings and scenic. Anyway more stuff completed and on my layout. However as my shelf of shame is clearing it leave the dammed 4f to finish. That can wait till next week. Keep Safe.

00000000 4 AAAAAAAA.jpg
00000000 5 AAAAAAAA.jpg

Return to “Serjt-Dave”