Johnson 1P

Serjt-Dave

Re: Johnson 1P

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Thanks John and John.

Yes I did go for a lie down after making and fitting the rear irons. To be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I found drilling the hole in the 1mm strip the most challenging part, but once done you bend the strip into a L shape, solder the wire in. File the wire flush with out face of the iron and round off the ends and fit to the bunker. I used a high temperature solder to make the iron and then a low temperature solder to fit them.

I haven't forgotten about the brake release spring, but thanks for letting me know that they were on both sides. I have some more detail bits to fit to the chassis as well as the brake release springs, like the front sand boxes and ash pan bits but yes it's all coming together now. I'm saving the ejector and motor train thingy me a do da to last.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi All.
I've fitted the front lamp irons as you can see from the image. You will also see that the handrail knobs I used for the smokebox are different. I used the ones supplied with the Craftsman kit but managed to break one when fitting it. I replaced it with a Gibson one but didn't notice the difference when I fitted it. It was only when I took this image I realised they were different. If I've got a spare one of the original type supplied in the kit I'll replace the Gibson one as I only soldered this in place using low melt solder. If I have to replace the original one this will be more of a pain in the butt to do.

The other images show the steps fitted and the pipework under the running plate. Now to tackle the buffer beam details.

All Best

Dave

20220424_210757.jpg
20220424_210131.jpg
20220424_210333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 am

A little more progress. Tackling the front and rear buffer beams.
The buffer beams are quite a crowded place and fitting all the gubbins around the S&W couplings make it even more fun. I'm using MJT brake and steam pipes but decided to make my own pipes and just use the hoses. The pipes were made from 0.8 brass rod and used a brass washers to indicate the join for the top bent portion and a bit of brass tube to add detail where the hose clips onto when not being used. I made the pipe support bracket out of scrap material. Still got to add the electrical cable and cradle.

Dave
20220501_205833.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat May 07, 2022 4:23 pm

More going on with the 1P.
Finished all the brake pipes, steam pipe and the motor train gubbins. Pleased with the result but wish I had made my own hoses rather than use cast ones. I don't know if I've cocked up or it is a sort coming with the kit but there wasn't much of a ledge between the rear of the bunker and the edge of the footplate to fit the support plates for the brake pipe stanchions, so I had to bend the plates at right angles and solder them to the rear of the bunker. It was a bit of a challenge fitting it all as well as the S&W couplings but I got it all in and working.

All Best

Dave

20220505_112551.jpg
20220507_062047.jpg
20220507_062158.jpg

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Sun May 08, 2022 11:59 am

Dave, the only photograph of which I'm aware that shows the rear of 58047's bunker with reasonable clarity is at page 57 in Norman Lockett's 'The Somerset & Dorset Railway 1935-1966', and was the guide for the setting up of my own model as shown here:
58047 rear.jpg
As you say, the running plate only protrudes a short way beyond the rear face of the bunker, and I simply filed indentations in the running plate to permit my pipe stanchions to lie flush with the buffer plank - didn't go to the trouble of providing the support plates you mention, as they don't seem prominent in the Lockett picture. For the motor train jumper cable terminals I was able to sweat a small plate to the top face of the running plate without having to extend it up the bunker, but I remain dissatisfied with my representation of the terminal screws - hoping the custom etching I've done for 58086 will represent these better.

Looking good; now on to the vacuum regulator casting on the smokebox side and associated plumbing, and stand by for squalls. I think that the best way of securing the brass turning I used to represent the casting was by fitting a peg into the back of the turning which fitted a hole bored in the side of the smokebox; this way you get a really strong fixing for the component which makes attachment of related plumbing at a later stage easier.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

John Palmer wrote:Dave, the only photograph of which I'm aware that shows the rear of 58047's bunker

Does it have to be 58047? There are several rear views of this class in Locomotives Illustrated,No. 138, including one of a PP-fitted engine.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm

Thanks John. The finishing line is in sight now. When I start the next one I might try and extend the rear of the footplate. I was thinking cutting the footplate where the slots for the rear bunker are and soldering in a slightly extended piece. You can add some support underneath the foot plate at the join without it being seen.
I'm about halfway through making the ejector and then onto the brake thingy me-do-da.

Thanks Daddyman, any images are welcome of a loco but they all have slight differences etc. I was lucky enough to be given some images of 58047 whilst on shed at Highbridge. They give a all round view of the loco but sod-law never the the bit your trying to model. LOL. Here are a couple of examples.

All Best

Dave
1p 3.jpg
1p 5.jpg
1p 7.jpg

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun May 08, 2022 4:16 pm

That looks like an odd one judging by the LI photos. Yours seems to have a plate bolted to the face of the (wooden?) buffer beam, flush with the top of the footplate, so that there's no footplate overhang at the rear. Most (?) seem to have a little overhang of footplate over b.beam.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 am

Best rear view I've ever seen of 58047! Wish I'd had that one when building mine.

I too was surprised by the sight of the apparently separate plate on the top of the rear buffer beam, and decided to look at little further. The GA drawings for the 1833 and 2228 classes show the running plate extending over the buffer beam and protruding slightly beyond it. I don't have a GA drawing for the earlier 1532 class, of which 58047 was a member, so was obliged to rely on what could be seen in photographs. There's a range of these in Volume 3 of "An Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives", but they don't greatly assist in clarifying the extent of the running plate, since at least two shots (Plates 30 and 33) seem to show separate plates atop the buffer beam, whilst other pictures show the runing plate extending slightly beyond the rear face of that beam. I had speculated that 58047 might have acquired a replacement strip over the top of the beam as a repair following some minor contretemps, but the fact that two other members of the class seem to have an identical strip tends to suggest otherwise, and the possibility of a change in construction practice during the course of the class' manufacture.

Perhaps there's a Midland expert around who can shed further light on this?

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed May 11, 2022 8:36 pm

Hi All. Just finished making the ejector thingy for my 1P. I think it turned out quite well even if I do say so myself. Made from basically for a lump of white metal some cooper and brass rod, etched washers, handrail knobs and the only part from a kit is the etched plate where the pipe enters the smokebox. Only problem was when I fitted the pipework onto the smokebox it must have moved before the glue had gone off and so sticks out a little. You can only see it when looking down from above. I tried to realign it but ended up braking off the little stub. This was soldered but I didn't want to risk trying to resolder it back so I just glued back into place.

Next up tackling the brake vacuum thingy on the other side of the smokebox.

All Best

Dave
20220511_182950.jpg
20220511_183110.jpg

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat May 21, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi All. Another thrilling installment of my 1P build.
Made and fitted the Vacuum Controlled Regulator apparatus {not the brake vacuum thingy}. I really enjoyed making this bit of kit even though I had to make the main cylinder twice as the first one was about half an mill to short. Even though I tried to make everything the correct size using the GA Drawings but when fitted to the engine the two tanks didn't quite line up. I had to make the lower vac cylinder support platform slightly bigger, this meant the cylinder stuck out a little further than on the real loco.

Before tackling the cab interior, I've got some little jobs to do on the chassis, like fit the front sandboxes, brake hanger return springs and some detail work on the ash pan. BUT THE ENDS IN SIGHT!!!

All Best

Dave
20220521_135053.jpg
20220521_135251.jpg
20220521_135350.jpg

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Sat May 21, 2022 5:06 pm

Very neat work on the VCR gear - far superior to the Bachmann moulded items on my Ivatt or the cast W/M items on my BR Standard 2 tanks.
Wonderful.
Dave.

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 am

A wealth of delightful detail there, Dave - well worth all your effort. That VCR is a stunner......
Looking forward to your pics of the final result very much; keep slogging.

Hats off!

Steve

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon May 23, 2022 11:44 pm

Well done, Dave, looking good. Whistle's turned out nicely too. Look forward to seeing her in mixed LMS/BR livery.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue May 24, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks Dave, Steve and John for your kind comments.

It's a great feeling getting near to the end of the build. Just finishing off some detail parts of the chassis and the last big {ish} job the cab interior. I'm not going to go nutts with this as it is a enclosed cab and once the crew are in place your not going to see too much anyway.

Will keep you posted.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Thu May 26, 2022 11:56 am

Hi All.
Chassis now all complete. I fitted the front sandboxes and the sandpipes {I'm glad they were gravity fed sanders, less pipework to do}. Also added was the brake hanger release springs. These had to be soldered directly to the hangers so that the brakes and pull rods can be removed. I also had to add some sort of support arms to the ash pan. I have no idea exactly what they are but I had to add them. The ash pan is part of the keeper plate and so is removeable. I soldered the support arms to the mainframes and added stubs representing the support rod that runs underneath the ash pan. I then soldered the main support rod directly to the ash pan but left slight gaps at either ends, this enabled the keeper plate to be removed etc. Last job was to add some copper wire to one of the ash pan support arms and the front guard irons.

Final pat of the build. The cab interior. I won't go too mad with this as it is an enclosed cab so you won't see much anyway.

All Best

Dave
20220524_200019.jpg
20220526_104227.jpg

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Thu May 26, 2022 12:24 pm

Lovely detail, especially those brake return springs. Never seen anything like that on a steam loco before.
Dave.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Fri May 27, 2022 9:40 am

Thanks Dave. Yes not your everyday item on a loco. On other the members of the Johnson 0-4-4 class these springs are fitted to the front brake hangers and are quite visible, where my loco has front sandboxes and so are fitted to the rear hangers and will be hidden by the front steps. But at least we know they are there. LOL.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue May 31, 2022 9:09 pm

It's done {ish}. Fitted out the cab interior and backhead. One thing I have forgotten to add is the cab doors. I'll make them tomorrow morning.
Next up is to set the ride height and balance {it's a little tail heavy at the mo} then stripped down to await the it's turn in the paintshop. Once I slap some paint on it I'll add the rivet transfers.

This will be some time coming as I need to start the scenic on my layout first.

All Best

Dave
20220531_170505.jpg
20220531_170108.jpg

Dave Holt

Postby Dave Holt » Tue May 31, 2022 11:52 pm

Must say, that reverser looks pretty nifty.
Dave.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:01 pm

Hi Dave - its looking great! Though I had though I'd just finished mine (I will admit to ignoring most of the inner cab fittings, in the hope that the crew will obscure the view anyway) - but well reminded about the brake return springs. I kept thinking about them but somehow they never made it onto the list! I need to replicate the front fitted version, which as you say is quite visible.

I was planning on trying a section of screw thread (8BA?) but will offer one up first to see whether it is workable or whether I do need to twist it from fuse wire.

At least my break gear is a separate sub assembly, so easy enough to add to!

Cheers,
Pete

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:43 pm

Thanks Dave and Pete.

Dave. I had fun making the reverser. It was a bit of self-indulgence really. Looking as the GA drawings I thought I have the right bits to make that. I used some remains from the Brassmaster 4F kit, a balance weight from the inside motion, and it went down hill from there. It was a tight squeeze getting all the bits onto the backhead which was a bit undersize anyway let alone adding the reverser gubbins. LOL.

Pete. I made up the spring frame first and then coiled some 0.7mm wire around a piece of 0.8mm wire to form the spring. I then soldered some 0.8mm tube into the spring frame. removed the centre section of tubing, inserted the spring into the frame, then pushed a piece of 0.45 wire through the whole assembly to act as the spring actuator.

All Best

Dave

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Evening All. I've just slapped some black gloss paint on my 1P and whilst I wait for the paint to dry my thoughts turn to it's number and lettering. 58047 will be wearing it's LMS livery {I don't think it ever received a BR livery}. I need to confirm is the correct LMS livery to use is the Serif Style Straw insignia, HMRS Transfers sheet 2a? I have it in my head something about the red shaded insignia was used but under BR ownership the red shading was painted out. To me this sounds daft but looking at images you can see the LMS has a square shape around it. Is the where the shading is painted over or just the letters been cleaned a bit?

Looking at these images of 58047 I can't see the power classification. I believe the LMS had high up on the cab sides but I can't see any evidance of it.

All Best

Dave
1p 6.jpg
1p 5.jpg

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:38 am

Dave, I'm hoping someone with greater knowledge than I of LMS insignia will provide a definitive answer, but I applied yellow serif lettering and numbering to my own model of 58047, taken from PC Models Methfix sheet 2 rather than 2a. The historical notes accompanying both of these sheets in my possession date from 1979 and were presumably penned by Peter Chatham himself. These notes state that the serif style straw coloured insignia on sheet 2a was "used at Crewe works 1928-47 for almost all plain black engines" and since 58047 appears to have stayed true to her Derby roots when receiving works attention I assumed that yellow rather than straw insignia were applied.

The BR Database entry for 58047 at https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=113451&loco=1303 gives 13 May 1950 as the date on which the BR number 58047 was applied to the locomotive in the place of her LMS number 1303. The same entry makes reference to a report indicating that she was admitted to Derby works in March 1950, and the propinquity of these dates leads me to surmise that this renumbering took place on conclusion of the work for which she had been admitted to Derby a month or so earlier.

After a close study of the photographs of 58047 that are available to me I simply can't see any trace of red shading to the insignia. This is not to say it wasn't present, and indeed it's possible the locomotive also carried red lining, the problem being that any such red colouring becomes indistinguishable from its black backing in a monochrome print, even when the locomotive is in pristine condition. For an example see plate 54 in "Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives Vol.3" where the caption comments specifically upon the invisibility of the red lining applied to classmate 1273. I'm not unduly troubled if any red shading or lining was applied to 58047 when she carried that number, as it's apparent that she received little attention from cleaners, perhaps other than a wipe over the 'LMS' to account for the rectangular-shaped panels highlighting these letters in your picture of the engine at Highbridge's platform 4, and it's in a distinctly woebegone condition that I have chosen to represent her, in which any red shading/lining would be hidden under the grime.

One possibility commented upon in Essery/Jenkinson's "Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives" is that the renumbering and lettering did not involve the use of transfers (red shaded or otherwise) but rather consisted of a repainting of the insignia in yellow over outlines of the pre-existing letters. Of course that can't be true of the number 58047 representing her BR identity. If those numerals were hand painted then a remarkably good job was made of them, and I'm inclined to think that the re-numbering was instead effected by application of transfers, using up remaining LMS stocks of these.

Can't see any sign of a power classification number, but it could just be submerged beneath the filth.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:10 am

Thanks John. Very helpful. Your right, it's very hard to tell what the colour is let alone if it was shaded or even lined under the build-up of grime etc. Attached is an image of 1303 {can't remember where it is} showing the loco in a fair condition and in a good light. No evidence of lining but the lettering may be shaded. However, another image of 1303 this time on the S&D and the lettering looks plain. On the first image there is a hint {or a light reflection} of the power classification possibly?

We have a little time to debate this as first I've got to add the rivet transfers and then another topcoat before the insignia is applied.

All Best

Dave
post-21193-0-55478300-1531144587.jpg
1p 9.jpg

Return to “Serjt-Dave”