Tips and tricks in machine tool practice

Jeremy Suter

Re: Tips and tricks in machine tool practice

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:16 pm

Turning Six Splashers for 3'6" wheels that sit 1.1mm high above the footplate
This is a very simple job to turn. They need to be cut on both sides to go over the wheel on one side and recessed for the beading on the other, I also need 6. So will need to do it two units.
Starting with a block of brass 3/4inch diameter in the 3 Jaw chuck. First cut using a slightly rounded cutter is to reduce the end so that it will fit in a 1/4 inch collet.
IMG_7334.JPG

With one end cut to 1/4 inch and fitted in the collet the other end needs to be done as well to make two units
IMG_7354.JPG

The outer edge has also turned down to 16.5mm which is slightly more than it needs to be.
Now I need to cut out to make the internal part of the splasher
IMG_7355.JPG

This is done with a 3mm boring cutter I start at the 1/4 inch spigot push into the metal to be removed about 1/2mm wind out the cross slide to a internal measurement of the splasher at 15mm and draw the cutter out again. The wheels over the flange measure 14.6mm
IMG_7356.JPG

Repeating this movement over and over to a depth of about 4mm.
Then turn the unit round and repeat. Once both ends are done the outer wall can be thinned down to about .4mm thick and the edge cleaned up and reduce the depth to 3mm then polish with fine emery paper.

Then unit can now be split in two.
IMG_7357.JPG

IMG_7358.JPG

Now face the outer section of the splasher to a depth of 4mm.
IMG_7360.JPG

A recess has now been cut in the face to a depth of .5mm using the 3mm boring cutter again
IMG_7361.JPG

I have not bothered Polishing up the centre of the face as it will end up in the scrap.

Now the two complete splashers are done I have slipped in a 3'7'' coach wheel tyre in to make sure it fits without touching.
IMG_7363.JPG

I can get 4 splashers out of each one. So mounted in the watchmakers lathe which has a milling attachment with a slitting disc in.
IMG_7370.JPG

Using the indexer on the other side of the headstock I can hold the splasher unit fast and slice off the 4 quarter splashers
IMG_7372.JPG

IMG_7367.JPG

IMG_7371.JPG

Leaving the last few thou to be cut by hand so I do not shoot the splasher across the table.
IMG_7374.JPG

The six splashers are now all done. I have sliced them off 1.5mm deep so they will allow a little leeway for the compensation but could be filed down a bit later if required.
IMG_7377 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am

A neat idea Jeremy. The work in the lathe is fairly straightforward but for those without the facility to index and cut the segments from the bar it would be necessary to hold the spigot in a vice and use a saw to cut them off. I would probably use a piercing say to do that job.

Terry Bendall

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:29 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:The six splashers are now all done. I have sliced them off 1.5mm deep so they will allow a little leeway for the compensation but could be filed down a bit later if required.

The splashers will have a base too - 5 thou I think - which gives me a little more clearance. But I wonder how people calculate splasher height in P4? Presumably true-scale splashers are not possible and I need to add a bit of leeway for the wheels moving under springing?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:02 pm

Daddyman wrote:and I need to add a bit of leeway for the wheels moving under springing?
As did the prototype. :)
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:22 pm

Here is what I do.
010 Class 8H V0.2 Splashers Spacing.PNG

The frame shows an axle box (Markits) located on the second, driving axle. This is centered on the wheel centre height. The front wheel shows the official P4 and EM flange measurements to be added to the main wheel radius.
I allow the cut out in the frame to be 2" or 0.67mm above the top of the Markits axle box so that the wheel is limited in upwards movement. Some designers use 1.5" or 0.5 mm.
To this must be added the thickness of the splasher, probably 0.3 mm to give the top of the splasher.
John

PS for axle box read hornblock although this is a little inaccurate as a true description.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:41 pm

John Bateson wrote:Here is what I do.
010 Class 8H V0.2 Splashers Spacing.PNG
The frame shows an axle box (Markits) located on the second, driving axle. This is centered on the wheel centre height. The front wheel shows the official P4 and EM flange measurements to be added to the main wheel radius.
I allow the cut out in the frame to be 2" or 0.67mm above the top of the Markits axle box so that the wheel is limited in upwards movement. Some designers use 1.5" or 0.5 mm.
To this must be added the thickness of the splasher, probably 0.3 mm to give the top of the splasher.
John

PS for axle box read hornblock although this is a little inaccurate as a true description.

Thank you, John. I'll take some time to get my head round that.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:40 pm

Parting off a chimney in the centre so there is no locating spigot and fitting a casting plug

Staring with a chimney I have shown how to make earlier in this thread.
This is a 7mm scale Stannier 262t Chimney and will be going for casting.
IMG_7165.JPG

The inside has been nearly finished with a tapered hole about 7/8th the way down.
IMG_7166.JPG

I now have to remove this spigot which means I have to drill it out but the hole needs to be a taper.
IMG_7167.JPG

Mounted in the watchmakers lathe with the lead screw angled at 2o to taper the inside wall.
IMG_7168.JPG

The cutter is like a long knife. It started as 3mm square ground down to a triangle about 2mm thick on the rear face and tapering to the point. The cutting edge is the approximately 2mm shinny bit at the tip you can see in the picture. It looks parallel to the outer part of the chimney but is only cutting with the point on the way in and the shine on the way out.
IMG_7168 (2).JPG

To part the chimney from the base the cutter is run in along the inner wall cutting it to the correct thickness required as far as it goes plus and a little bit more then screw in with the cross slide about 1/2mm to cut the bottom. Then do it again until I reach the depth required.
You can see the line of cut on the rear face inside.
IMG_7171 (2).JPG

After several goes I need to make sure I don't cut clean off as the spinning the chimney loosely on the cutter will not do it any good.
IMG_7172.JPG

After measuring the length of cutter against the chimney give it a gentle push and it should give.
IMG_7173.JPG

There will be a slight push in the metal as the cutter wants to break through.
IMG_7174.JPG

The rough edge can be cleaned with a fine grade file.
IMG_7175.JPG

The waist
IMG_7176.JPG

The Casting plug will be made of Tufnol rod. Its not a very nice product to turn although it does turn very well, the smell is a bit obnoxious and not very good for you health either. So I usually do it with a vacuum cleaner sucking up the chips. I say chips but its actually a very fine dust and seems to get everywhere.
IMG_7178.JPG

A taper will be turned on the rod at 2o to match the internal angle of the chimney.
The tool post lead screw angle has been set.
IMG_7179.JPG

Using cuts of about 1mm to get the rod diameter to fit the chimney.
IMG_7180.JPG

Chimney slotted on and the plug can be parted off with a piercing saw.
IMG_7181.JPG

Finished chimney's and pugs with the rest of the parts for that job.
IMG_7185.JPG

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 am

More interesting stuff Jeremy. Please excuse a small correction to terminology

Jeremy Suter wrote:Mounted in the watchmakers lathe with the lead screw angled at 2o to taper the inside wall.

The lead screw is the threaded bar that is found on an engineer's lathe along the front of the bed and is used to move the carriage along the bed. Some lathes will have a hand wheel on the right hand end to achive this and in most casaes the threaded bar is connected by a system of gears to give a power feed and to allow a screw thead to be cut using the lathe.

What Jeremy has shown is how to set the top slide at an angle to produce a taper. Not all lathes have this facility but it is the only easy way to turn a taper on a small lathe.

Jeremy Suter wrote: The Casting plug will be made of Tufnol rod. Its not a very nice product to turn although it does turn very well, the smell is a bit obnoxious and not very good for you health either. So I usually do it with a vacuum cleaner sucking up the chips.

Turning Tufnol will also blunt the tool quite quickly. WEaring face mask to FFP3 grade is also a good idea.

Terry Bendall

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:17 am

Turning a Safety valve which is not round.

I have been given an Arthur Kimber kit for the Tennent 240. The castings supplied both in white metal and lost wax brass are very poor, especially the dome and safety valve . The dome is tapered rather than parallel, and the safety valve is too small and twisted.
IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7648.JPG

The only option is to remake them.

Starting with the fly cut to go round the boiler. The brass bar is mounted on the vertical slide, centre level found and the fly cutter is set to the radius of my boiler 8.75mm. The bar already had a small hole in the end but not deep left from a previous job.
IMG_7576.JPG

Once the fly cut is done a hole needs to be put in the base to mount the safety valve ready for doing the top. I need a 2mm hole rather than a 1/8inch which is my usual, we will see why later.
One thing I have not said earlier in these post is that the three jaw chuck or self centering chuck spins off centre and why we should use collets for certain jobs. This chuck spins .03 mm off centre on the no3 jaw.
If I set the curve of the bar in line with this jaw the finished item is not off set to one side on the model and will correct it self as we turn down the side.
IMG_7650.JPG

IMG_7651.JPG

The basic shape needs to be put in before parting off.
IMG_7578.JPG

With basic shape done and spigot added this is an 1/8 inch rod turned to fit the 2mm hole in the base. Just need to part off from the bar.
IMG_7579.JPG

Once parted off I have fitted it in the flare Jig which I have shown in earlier posts. This is why I use a 1/8 inch rod as a standard base.
IMG_7580.JPG

Now rotating the flare jig by 90o to change the point of cut as the ball cutter isn't actually a ball but a wide ellipse. This changes the angle of cut to a softer curve.
IMG_7582.JPG

Base milled.
IMG_7583.JPG

Now centred in the watchmakers lathe.
IMG_7584.JPG

A half round file is used to blend in the two curves. Once done is finished with fine emery papers.
IMG_7585.JPG

Now the top needs to be put in. Using right handed cutter to cut under the lip and the sides it has a 1.5mm radius changing to a 5mm radius on the left hand side. This is a right hand cutter so I start at the left hand end and work backwards to the top of the safety valve. The curve needs to be tighter and have some 1mm round files for this job although they are getting shorter and shorter.
IMG_7587.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

A pointed cutter to do the top.
IMG_7590.JPG

I use a round file to tighten the curve over the top of the boiler. and finish with fine emery papers
IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

This gives us a round safety valve. The top still needs to be hollowed out. I did the dome first but already shown how to do them
IMG_7598.JPG

The next job is to remove the sides of the safety valve.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:45 pm

With the dome done.
The safety valve needs finishing by taking off the sides and making it oval shape.

To do this in the lathe I need to off set the safety valve far enough away to only cut the the side and produce a very shallow curve.
Off setting the safety valve by 5cm will give a very shallow curve.
IMG_7602.JPG

The block has been drilled to fit the safety valve 5cm from centre and a piece of bar turned to 17.75mm drilled and milled out to go over the bar so as to keep the safety valve square on to the centre and a tightening screw to hold it in place.
IMG_7599.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

Mounted in the chuck, the same cutter I used to form the shape is now fitted to the tool post and starting just under the lip.
IMG_7605.JPG

I could spin the chuck to cut but it will make this lathe shake a bit. So I just flick the safety valve over the cutter by hand moving the toll in slightly between each cut.
IMG_7604.JPG

IMG_7608.JPG

After doing the first side making a note of where I start and finish on the cross slide and top slide dials. so I can turn the safety valve round and do the other side.
IMG_7611.JPG

With both sides done its back in the block. The top slide angle is changed to do the lower edge and repeat what we did before.
IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

With the lower sides done the top is next step for the same treatment but with a pointed cutter. once that is done the rim can be taken back.
IMG_7616.JPG

Now mounted in a 5mm offset block I have rounded the corners in the same manor as the sides.
IMG_7621.JPG

Now mounted in the Watchmakers lathe I need to blend in all the angles with files and emery papers.
IMG_7622.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_7623.JPG

The shape is all done.
IMG_7625.JPG

The inside now needs to be drilled out and am putting a centre drill in to put a dimple in the centre for later.
IMG_7626.JPG

With a starting point I can mount the safety valve back on the block I used earlier and mount for milling This could be done in the lathe.
IMG_7629.JPG

I prefer to use the milling machine.
Starting in the centre and zeroing the table dials I can work out how far I need to move the table to cut a hole in the top 4.5mm long by 2.5mm wide which is why I needed a 2mm spigot so that the sides would be sold for this part.
IMG_7631.JPG

Top is now machined out 2.5mm deep. The dimple from the centre drill can be just seen on the bottom.
IMG_7632.JPG

Back into the watch makers lathe I will put a 1mm hole down the centre this finishes this part of the safety valve.
IMG_7634.JPG

The final stage is to make the Ramsbottom valves that can be seen inside.
I first cut the arm out in 30 thou plasticard 3 times bigger than needed and mount on a board ready to be pantograph milled.
IMG_7644.JPG

Using a 1.5mm cutter so that means I have a 4.5mm runner to go round the pattern and cutting it out in 15 thou nickel silver.
IMG_7645.JPG

The long base is 1mm wide to slot into the 1mm hole we made.
IMG_7646.JPG

Now I need 2 valves which are turned out of 1.5mm rod in the watchmakers lathe two cuts and 2.75mm deep and part off.
IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7636.JPG

A slot cut in the top to fit to the arm and a spring made from .3mm wire wound round a file and then all soldered together.
IMG_7647.JPG

All fitted together just need two whistles to fit in the cam to finish.
The best thing about this kit is that the boiler and cab can be removed from the footplate and the smoke box can be removed from both. There are some twist lungs to hold and tighten the parts together after painting.
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:56 am

Beautiful!
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:22 am

Elegant and beautiful!
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:15 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:There are some twist lungs to hold and tighten the parts together after painting

Another excellent and useful thread. Can I ask for more about the above - I assume there's a typo (lugs?), but what do they look like and how do they work?
thanks
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:58 am

Very interesting, Jeremy. Looks more like a Tennant now - not that that's a good thing...

Looks as if, like me, you also replaced the oversize beading on the rear cab edge?

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:41 pm

I have a s/h Tennant kit on the way from foreign parts, and am a little dismayed to learn that the boiler fittings aren't very good. I'll have to see what I can find elsewhere (LRM?) as getting Jeremy to make me set might be beyond my budget!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:11 pm

Very interesting Jeremy. The off set mounting of the safety valve is an idea that i have not seen before. Thanks for the information.

Terry Bendall

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 pm

Winander wrote:
Jeremy Suter wrote:There are some twist lungs to hold and tighten the parts together after painting

Another excellent and useful thread. Can I ask for more about the above - I assume there's a typo (lugs?), but what do they look like and how do they work?
thanks

Hi Richard
Yes they are lugs I do like it when a model can be taken apart into smaller pieces for painting does make it easier than masking as well as lining it.
IMG_7652.JPG

Hi David.
The beading was replaced, like you I thought it too fat so replaced it with copper wire and filed flat.
IMG_7653.JPG

The lugs fit through the slots in the footplate and should be twisted to hold fast after painting.
IMG_7654.JPG

IMG_7655.JPG

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:25 am

I can't see from the photos what the smokebox door was like in your kit, Jeremy, but mine was far too dished - the real Tennants had a very flat door.

Another thing is the coal rails: the proportions of those supplied look wrong (too much rail and not enough gap). I substituted some spare Bradwell ones, but the originals can be improved by running a mouse-tail file between the rails to make them look more half round - but you may have done that already.

Season's greetings!
David.

Edward45

Postby Edward45 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:03 am

Just on or two things. This was one of Arthur's earlier kits and since that time a better safety valve has been produced, I believe this is also the case with the smokebox door.. Castings particularly white metal castings are always better replaced with turned replacements. The tender shouldn't have valancing, but this is easily omitted and the slot filled.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:48 pm

Daddyman wrote:I can't see from the photos what the smokebox door was like in your kit, Jeremy, but mine was far too dished - the real Tennants had a very flat door.

Another thing is the coal rails: the proportions of those supplied look wrong (too much rail and not enough gap). I substituted some spare Bradwell ones, but the originals can be improved by running a mouse-tail file between the rails to make them look more half round - but you may have done that already.

Season's greetings!
David.

Hi David
Yes the original white metal smoke box door was a bit fat especially the rim I did think I would use it but the more I studied the parts it had to go.
So another was turned. A simple turning but worth showing. One thing to mention is always start at the back so that you can hold it when doing the front without needing to thin the back later or part it off from a bar.
IMG_7692.JPG

First of all I take a bar fat enough to produce the smoke box door and face it off.
IMG_7657.JPG

The first cut after facing is to do the back so turning the block to fit the hole in the smokebox front.
IMG_7652 (2).JPG

Its done in two cuts, first cut gets rid of most of the bulk and the second to get the right size to fit in the hole.
IMG_7658.JPG

Although this picture looks the same as the last one I have the finished the part to fit the hole an am now turning the outer ring to just slightly larger than the door.
IMG_7659.JPG

Now parting off.
IMG_7660.JPG

Now turned around with the back block in the chuck ready to be faced off again. I have put a couple of .68mm feeler gauges just to pack it out slightly, once jaws tightened they can be removed before spinning.
IMG_7661.JPG

IMG_7662.JPG

Once faced off a .5mm centre drill is used to make a starting pop mark for a 1mm hole.
IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

To form the shape of the front of the dome I have dodged it slightly which means as I pull the cutter from the centre I have pushed in slightly to form a slight taper on the front of the door. I then use a cutter which has the tip shaped to form the rounded edge of the door.
IMG_7675.JPG

The cutter is pushed in from the front. A lip is left at the back to allow for the rim.
IMG_7672.JPG

Now starting at the centre the same cutter is pushed in to make the handle lip.

The door front is done by changing the angle of the cutter and using the side to form a slight taper then the cutter angle is changed again and a second section of the front is done. producing a straight line curve ready for a file and emery paper to finish off and smooth.
IMG_7676.JPG

IMG_7677.JPG

Next a facing toll is used to bring the handle rim in line with the rest of the door.

IMG_7679.JPG

Last job in the lathe is to make a thinner back so it will fit flush with the smoke box front this is done by resetting the door further out in the chuck enough room for the parting tool to fit and a bit of spare.
IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

the final section has been cut off with a saw. so not to damage when it flies off with the cutter.
The basic shape of the door is done so I need to add the hinges which are made for 6 thou brass sheet cut out with a scalpel.
IMG_7684.JPG

the strips are mounted on a piece of .7mm nickel rod.
IMG_7685.JPG

Soldered to the door
IMG_7686.JPG

grab handle added by drilling and soldering in place a piece of .4mm wire.
IMG_7687.JPG

Now fitted to the model.
IMG_7693.JPG

Other things I had to replace were the door handle and Westinghouse pump and buffers.

Stephan.wintner

Postby Stephan.wintner » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:44 am

Jeremy, can you describe your soldering process for the hinges & straps to the door? You've achieved a very neat result, did you use an RSU? Fixing such thin straps to the very thin but much thicker door , and then door to loco, seems... Well I'm not sure how I'd approach it. I'd try using paste solder and an RSU, but even then I'm struggling to imagine the details of the process.

(If you've described that elsewhere, say so and I'll go searching)

Cheers
Stephan

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:15 am

Very impressive, Jeremy!

You might as well do the front spring supports now!

Edward45

Postby Edward45 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:52 pm

The original NER smokebox door as with other Edwardian types poses problems. Cast doors will always be subject to criticism simply because of the limitations of the casting process. In my view anything is better than carving the door off off a plastic model. Back to the problem. Turn the door itself separate from the sealing ring and locking housing, so we are dealing with three parts for the main part of the door. The sealing ring is a piece of 10th or so and the locking housing a separate turning. Turning to the straps across the door use a high wattage iron of sufficient thermal capacity - not a flimsy bit- and be prepared to have to clean up afterwards. i am now ducking!

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:48 pm

Stephan.wintner wrote:Jeremy, can you describe your soldering process for the hinges & straps to the door? You've achieved a very neat result, did you use an RSU? Fixing such thin straps to the very thin but much thicker door , and then door to loco, seems... Well I'm not sure how I'd approach it. I'd try using paste solder and an RSU, but even then I'm struggling to imagine the details of the process.

(If you've described that elsewhere, say so and I'll go searching)

Cheers
Stephan

Hi Stephan
Soldering the straps to the boiler front is done with the Antex 50 watt variable temperature iron on full power, which is about 425o.

The door is about 2mm thick by 16.5mm diameter and fading to 9 thou around the rim.

The hinges are made from 6 thou brass sheet wrapped round and soldered to a .7mm Nickel Silver at wire the correct distance apart. Now the straps need to be slightly curved to match the curve on the door and tinned on the back with 188o solder.

The door is placed with the final part off spike fitted into a hole in the board so it does not move. The rim sitting on a piece of thick card to make the leveL that the hinge needs to sit on. With the hinge sitting in approximately the correct place and green label acid flux added its held in place by the two prongs of the tweezers. Heat is added and allowed to heat up the door until the solder melts and joins the straps to the door. There should be very little excess solder which can be removed with a brass squawker. Brass as against steel so as not to mark the door in any way . It can be heated up again to move the straps to the correct position if they need it. any excess solder can now be removed with the brass or glass fibre brush.
The door can be added to the body in the same way but I would use 145osolder so not to disturb the door hinge.

This picture has been staged as job has already been done without the door handle which has since been added
IMG_7725.JPG

For cleaning excess solder off I use these.
2 steel 1 brass squawkers 1 suede brush 1 brass brass and a glass fibre brush for finishing.
IMG_7733.JPG
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:49 pm

Daddyman wrote:Very impressive, Jeremy!

You might as well do the front spring supports now!

Hi David
It had to be done.
When you look at photos of these the spring need to look a little more ornate than those supplied.

1468d Inside Gateshead shed I'm doing 1463 which has different pipe work arrangement for the Westinghouse pump, In fact there seem to be quite a few varying arrangements of the pipe work among the class.
img20221224_20564774.jpg

So looking closely at the spring hanger it is quite shapely
img20221224_20564774 (3).jpg

First of all I need to make the U shape to fit to the springs which is done on the pantograph milling machine Just cut out of plasticard 3x size I need and glued to a piece of scrap.
IMG_7695.JPG

A pin point marker for the 3 holes and a pin point cutter marking out the 10 thou nickel sheet.
IMG_7697.JPG

IMG_7700 (2).JPG

With a 4.5mm runner going round the pattern a 1.5mm cutter will cut them out 3 times round will see it through.
IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7702.JPG

I have done 5 as these are only 6mm long I am bound to loose one
IMG_7703.JPG

The cutter is getting a bit old now as there is quite a burr round the edges which can be rubbed off on a piece of fine emery paper and the holes can be drilled out with a .5mm drill.
To fold them up into a U shape I have drilled and soldered a .5mm wire into a piece of brass bar the same width as the end of the springs and then folded each side round it.
IMG_7705.JPG

IMG_7706.JPG

IMG_7707 (2).JPG

The original spring hangers have been cut off and filled back to take the new hangers and the ends drilled with a .5mm drill for the pin.
IMG_7708.JPG

the new U shape fitted pinned and soldered in place.
IMG_7709.JPG

To make the leg of the hanger I have made a small jig to go in the watchmakers lathe. Made from an EM axle with a 1,4mm hole drilled about half way through then each end has been milled away to just above half way through. the centre part is 3mm wide with two saw cuts in it. it fits in the tailstock and is pushed over a piece of 1.2mm wire for turning in the collet
IMG_7710.JPG

The first cut using hand tools the rest, rather than the tool post. I slim down the end of the rod to make the base 1mm to fit through the hole in the footplate.
IMG_7712.JPG

The second cut does the two saw blade holes with a piercing saw.
IMG_7713.JPG

These are used as marker points to use a 3 square file to shape the ball in the centre.
IMG_7714.JPG

lastly the top is thinned down to .7mm to fit the base of the U which will need drilling to size before fitting. Once done should be cut off to length and soldered to the springs
IMG_7716.JPG

A view of the whole machine the tailstock can be just slid on and off as required.
IMG_7717.JPG

Lastly the leg U and spring are fitted together on the model and then soldered together to make sure it all fits and can be removed for painting.
IMG_7720.JPG

Return to “Jeremy Suter”