GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

CornCrake

Re: GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Postby CornCrake » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Looks like you're building up a head of steam now!

Will you be attending Railwells on Sunday?

If you are, would it be possible for me to purchase a railmotor chassis c/w bogie, and also is it possible to purchase an extra 8' bogie?

Regards Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:46 pm

I missed this picture on my last post of the other side of the boiler.
IMG_5105.JPG

Now to the Roof

The roof is made of four main parts.
First two are for the base and need to be fitted together with screws so that they can be soldered together neatly and in the right position
IMG_5106.JPG

I am keeping the frame on at the moment and soldered some rail along the edge to keep it rigid and also have folded up the ribs for the roof profile.
IMG_5107.JPG

Now placing it on the body to make sure it fit, and the ribs are all level with the ends.
IMG_5108.JPG

This base produces the gutters and has a half etch line along the edge and slots so that the roof can be slotted in and held together for soldering.

I have taken the Roof pieces and put them through the long Role Bars to form the shallow middle section of the roof. Once rolled I have used a tight curve former and slotted it into the roll bars to hold it while I pull round the tighter curve with a steel rule.
IMG_5109.JPG

Notice I have also bent the tabs slightly so that they can easily be slotted into the base when pushed on from the top
IMG_5110.JPG

To get the very tight curve right to the edge I have put a 6mm rod in the bending bars and tightened with the roof in parallel then using the steel rule to push over and get the tight curve close the edge as possible.
Doing this with both pieces which have been half etched so the top layer has the rain strips on and the inner layer for strength
IMG_5111.JPG

The base has been made and was used as a former to check the curve of the roof.
IMG_5112.JPG

I should really attach the roof to the base but there is an error in the width it is slightly too wide 1.2mm or .6mm on each side. I could cut off the excess but when fitted to the base and put on the body the hole for the boiler top cover is 6mm forward of where it should be. Should have checked the measurements before sending to the etcher although I didn't expect to get the width correct first time.
IMG_5113.JPG

I will etch the new piece without such a big hole as this did get in the way of the tight curing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:32 am

That is some serious metal forming Jeremy!I have only managed single arch roofs so far! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 pm

The Summer has been long and busy in the garden and this O gauge loco a GWR Armstrong is finally finished which has been blocking the work bench.
IMG_5152.JPG

With that now built and out the way I have been having another go at the roof on the railmotor I redrew several versions of the roof top both half etched and solid.
IMG_5154.JPG

The two solid ones have half etch lines on each side so it can be rolled round the tight curve at the edge. Using the same method as before I've rolled round the rods. but in the end they were slightly too narrow.
IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

A new base was also done with the rib moved so its not in the space for the boiler.
IMG_5159.JPG

Using the two Half etched ones again rolled round rods to form the tight curve and roll bars to do the shallow part can then be slotted into the roof base I found the inner is slightly too narrow so scrapping that and just using the outer skin with rain strips etc on which fits about right.
IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG

Now slotted into base which has only been screwed together.
IMG_5162.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

Now the Roof skin can be soldered to the base from beneath and when done the side bars and the screws can be removed. and I have also removed the inner section of the roof for the boiler access hole which was kept in to keep the curve of the roof consistent when rolling.
IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

Now slotted onto the body and the boiler access cover has been added, next job is to make the lamp tops and fit some shell vents.

Any body know of a good source for the shell vents before i make casting patterns.

I have now started painting the body is in red undercoat as I am going to paint her in the Crimson Livery.
IMG_5171.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Well done Jeremy. Like the station building!

Ralph

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:I have now started painting the body is in red undercoat as I am going to paint her in the Crimson Livery.

I presume you are referring to the 1912-1922 livery? This was actually crimson lake, which is a very different colour to crimson, more or less maroon. In the case of the GWR this was a particularly dark version, apparently, referred to by Michael Harris as 'being best described as chocolate-lake'. The colour shown as Lake 1912 in the HMRS booklet of 1974 would agree with this, and is considerably darker than the colour used on the reconstruction of No. 93. Who is right, I don't know.
Regards
Noel

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Noel Wrote

I presume you are referring to the 1912-1922 livery? This was actually crimson lake, which is a very different colour to crimson, more or less maroon. In the case of the GWR this was a particularly dark version, apparently, referred to by Michael Harris as 'being best described as chocolate-lake'. The colour shown as Lake 1912 in the HMRS booklet of 1974 would agree with this, and is considerably darker than the colour used on the reconstruction of No. 93. Who is right, I don't know.

Hi Noel.
What ever the colour is, its coming out of the Phoenix Paint tin marked GWR Coach Crimson lake, I hope it is right as it looks very like the LMS Maroon. I did paint the body in chocolate and cream and lined it out just before going to Wells but the lining was not very good so I stripped it. I must remember not to do lining late in the evening when tired. It's also not quite in my time period as modelling just post WW1 to the grouping so would have to be ex works finish.
I must say I am not keen on the colour of the preserved one I think the colour needs to be darker/richer but you really can't tell from Black and White Photos it is also lined in cream rather than gold leaf.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:56 pm

This was the colour when I photographed it at Didcot in 2014.

Railmotor_g8515rw.jpg

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

The HMRS booklet I mentioned states "The staff in the locomotive drawing office and in the paint shop kindly produced and loaned colour samples to which the colour card was matched." Paint and print technologies being different, this is not an absolute guarantee, and it's certainly not contemporary with the period in question, but it's probably the nearest we're ever likely to get now.
Regards
Noel

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi Jeremy,
I have popped some spare MJT shell vents (short & tall) and MJT lamp tops in the post box for you (next collection 7am Saturday morning according to legend on box) so that you can inspect.
Hope it's not too late.
Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Thanks Steve for the Shell Vents not bad Although I managed to find some quite nice ones in an old Nucast kit for an Auto Coach which was sitting in the bottom of the cupboard must have been there 25 years at least.

As for lamp tops I decided to turn my own.
First making a form tool for the big lathe from 6mm tool steel.
IMG_5172.JPG

First cutting the top with very slight dome.
IMG_5173.JPG

Then driving down 2mm at a pre-set of .9mm from centre until the cutter reaches the cut out in the tool then pushing in the .2mm for the lip on the top.
IMG_5174.JPG

This gives the top and the base shape at the same time. Although the base width will need finishing when finishing later.
With the shape now in the parting tool is used to form the spigot to go through the roof.
IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

A piercing saw is now used to cut the vent off the rod as I set the parting tool to cut .5mm above centre. giving a 1mm spigot
IMG_5177.JPG

now the vent is put in the small Lorch lathe to finish the base. I have done it this way so I can set the tool posts to cut certain bits with out moving it out of the positions I set for the first one I could had finished the bases in the the big lathe before parting off but preferred not to.
IMG_5178.JPG

All slotted in position.
IMG_5179.JPG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:11 pm

The next job is to make the chimney
I only need to do the top so forming the basic shape with a nose cutter and finishing with files then the hole is drilled in and top cut to the right height.
IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

Baffle added and slotted into the roof also the whistle has been turned and fitted.
IMG_5189.JPG

I have also fitted the gas pipe for the lights and the shell vents.
IMG_5188.JPG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Painted just in time for Scaleforum
IMG_5196.jpg
IMG_5197.JPG

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Jeremy.

I have to say I thought your Railmotor looked terrific in the display case at Scaleforum last weekend.

Can only hope mine will turn out something like that! Cheers :thumb John

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am

Two photographs, same camera presumably, two very different colour renderings. Who says cameras don't lie? A very impressive model.
Regards
Noel

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:24 pm

I don't think the camera was being false, on the contrary. One of the great dangers of model photography in this digital age is the light source. I reckon one was taken in tungsten light, and the other in blue sky daylight.
Ted.
(A purists' purist)

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi Jeremy,
Your roof detail looks excellent. Just sorry I was not able to get to Scaleforum this year.
Will you be making castings from your turnings for the kit?
Regards Steve.

JFS

Postby JFS » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 pm

David B wrote:This was the colour when I photographed it at Didcot in 2014.

I would urge plenty of caution here! I first saw the SRM in 2011 at Didcot when it was fairly new. I next saw it on the Churnet Valley in Feb. 2014. In the intervening three years, the colour had changed some fair bit - whereas in 2010, it was quite a rich, dark "Red", by 2014 it was quite a blue "Purple" - which David's photo confirms. I think the colour when it was "new" was probably how it was intended to look, but how it looked in 2014 perhaps was not!!

Having seen Jeremy's roof in the flesh in its unpainted state, I can confirm that it certainly is a work of art.

Super work as always Jeremy!

Best Wishes,

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:31 pm

This is one of the pictures I took on Sunday, and I think it’s what I remember it looked like! Taken under two daylight craft lamps, camera (Leica V-lux 4) set to auto white balance. The picture is a little darker at the right hand side, but I will sort that out before it goes off to our webmaster, EditorTim etc. It was a beautiful thing to behold...

Philip

A8465400-65BA-4507-92B0-9B44E4F93C4E.jpeg

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi Philip
Thank you.
The photo has really brought out the colour well. I photographed it in my conservatory where the layout is and the light is not quite right at this time of year.

Noel
I hope you think the Lake livery is the right shade of red.
The roof was originally white but the contrast was too much so I over sprayed it with LNWR wagon grey to look like soot weathering. I think its a pretty good match for the real one although I still have some white areas on mine unlike the real one.
IMG_4716.JPG

Steve
I will be doing castings for the Lamp Tops and Shell vents in due coarse.
I just need to set out the Body and Roof etching tool and then do the instructions for the kit.

Thanks Howard for the comment on the roof this will be a stumbling point as a kit so am thinking of making lots of them. I've also been asked if the art work could be enlarged to 7mm.

My next project will be a 70' Railmotor and I am also now looking at the Great Central one

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Having developed an interest in SRM's after reading the Lewis book, I managed to hunt out a Mallard kit albeit missing some bits. i had some very generous help in hunting down the castings I needed. Then Jeremy released the SRM unit so I purchased one of them. Now I shall purchase the rest of it when it is available thereby making the rest of the Mallard kit redundant! I won a Kemilway 70' SRM etching a few years ago on ebay and that will be going the same way.

This is simply brilliant work Jeremy. What is especially heartening is that while we hear comments about kit ranges vanishing, gems like this and the iron mink enter the field.

Regards,

Craig Warton

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Wow a 70 foot railmotor to come as well! :thumb John

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:02 pm

ralphrobertson wrote:Well done Jeremy. Like the station building!

Ralph

Indeed, the whole project looks fascinating, :thumb Is the station building a William Clarke design? they seemed to crop up all over the GWR area in a variety of disguises.

Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by steve howe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:02 pm

ralphrobertson wrote:
Well done Jeremy. Like the station building!

Ralph

Indeed, the whole project looks fascinating, :thumb Is the station building a William Clarke design? they seemed to crop up all over the GWR area in a variety of disguises.

Steve

Hi Steve
Yes it's very much a William Clarke design based on Abbotsbury with the toilet block on the opposite end, and the Awning on both sides of the building in fact the track plan is very like Abbotsbury purely by accident rather than design.
Its just laser cut plywood at the moment I have done the corner stone but not attached them yet and still need to draw the window frames and surround for laser cutting before I fill in the gap with stone walling.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:03 am

They are nice little buildings. I did one in local stone for our Club layout a few years ago using the 'Pendon' method of card and watercolour using the drawings in Karau's book, but slightly adapted the floor plan to provide a forecourt entrance:
trenance1.jpg

trenance2.jpg

The goods shed was also Abbotsbury, but the engine shed was a mishmash of St Ives and Wallingford!

Steve

Return to “Jeremy Suter”