GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Jeremy Suter

Re: GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:00 am

Seasons Greetings to all and I do appreciate all the great comments which does give me encouragement to get on with this project.

As I have two pet hates with coach construction, I designed the body so that it becomes more rigid for handling and easy to fit the glazing without getting glue on the glass.

I have spent the holiday break catching up on this project by finishing all the etches I have drawn and got it running.
So that's The Motor Bogie. Available as kit. The 8' Fishbelly and the Underframe is now done just waiting for the Lost Wax Buffer Heads to arrive. Then I will do the Instructions. Lastly the body test etch, very pleased with this as a first attempt. The two main corrections to do are the partitions and one of the sliding door on the boiler end which I should have mirrored rather than copying.

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

View of the 8' Fishbelly bogie with the castings on I have also fitted pickups to this end and will add an extra note on the Fishbelly instructions page as to how I did it invisibly.
IMG_4609.JPG

The end view showing it clearly has a tumblehome and also the Screw link Coupling which I did. The Vacuum Pipe I always make myself from .7mm wire with 36SWG copper wire wound round rather than use a casting which usually breaks when painted.
IMG_4613.JPG

I still need to add the Grab and Door Handles which I will do after painting although I have put on the Handle for the luggage compartment as this has a jig on the etch so that I could file bend round file flat the face, which I wanted to make sure it worked. I will remove it before painting.
IMG_4611.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm

I wonder if there may be some confusion in the nomenclature here?

A 'tumblehome' is an inward cant of the body sides above the waist line (originally a naval term for the inward slope of the hull of a wooden warship above the waterline). The term for the inward curve of a coach body below the waistline is a 'turnunder'.

The GWR autotrailers had a turnunder, but not a tumblehome. The Special Saloons had both. Off-hand, I can't remember whether the Dreadnoughts had a tumblehome (as well as a turnunder).

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:14 pm

martin goodall wrote:The GWR autotrailers had a turnunder, but not a tumblehome.

Apart from the matchboarded railmotor conversions, which had neither in both incarnations.
Regards
Noel

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 pm

The naval stuff I’m familiar with; a lot of ships had a tumble home above the belting and flare (particularly at the bow) below. The preserved motor ship, Balmoral, sadly laid up right now in Bristol, is a classic example.

Now I know you shouldn’t take Wikipedia as concrete evidence, but that says that tumblehome in railway parlance can also be applied to Martin’s ’turnunder’! If a carriage has both, I’m inclined to Martin’s definitions, but it gets confusing...

Philip

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Jeremy,

That looks fantastic, what livery will you be painting it, I'm assuming that you will be painting it?

No rush in producing the kit, as I am involved in a swearing match with the Worsley Works Diag Q and R auto trailer etches, which are one step forward and 3 back!

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm

Noel wrote:
martin goodall wrote:The GWR autotrailers had a turnunder, but not a tumblehome.

Apart from the matchboarded railmotor conversions, which had neither in both incarnations.

Noel is absolutely right. I knew there were some exceptions, but forgot that this included the match-boarded railmotors and autotrailers.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 am

Another step forward toward the kit has arrived from Slaters who have done some lost wax casting for me in nickel silver.
Is the buffer heads they have a neat hole in the end to find the centre for drilling out to fit the tale rod.

IMG_4656.JPG

Also included on the casting is a centre piece for the screw link couplings, still need to add the turning pole.

IMG_4657.JPG

The buffer heads cut off and drilled out with a .5mm drill and a Nickel silver wire added for the tale and a buffer spring added.
There is a pop mark in the centre part of the coupling so it can be drilled out with a .3mm drill and a wire added for the turning pole. The Pole has been folded over at each end and a blob of solder on to stop it coming out .

IMG_4658.JPG

Bufferheads added, the tale has been folded and runs in a slot to keep it straight. I have not added the cast coupling centre yet it still has the etched one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:26 am

Wow :shock: :thumb
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:Another step forward toward the kit has arrived from Slaters who have done some lost wax casting for me in nickel silver.

Is that a service they'll perform for anyone?

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 pm

Crepello Wrote
Is that a service they'll perform for anyone?

Yes they will but masters need to be made and soldered at high temperature to go through Vulcanisation mould process at 180 degrees. The costs are £20 for the mould and £2.80 per casting plus VAT.

MPR

Postby MPR » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Very neatly done - these are especially vulnerable parts on a bow-ended vehicle and will be much more robust as well as functioning and looking better. Fantastic to see further progress on this fascinating design and build!

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 pm

I have been having a few problems with the roof as not sure about all the roof detail that is where the pipes come from and go to so I went to Didcot Railway Centre on Monday morning this week to have a look at the rael one.
Luckily for me it was in the works being overhauled with a ladder leaning against it and a word with one of the staff got us up it with a camera.
IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

IMG_4721.JPG

Its how where the Gas lamp pipes run from, and they come up through the walls in the passenger entrance to the roof with a separate line running through the motor compartment for the front lamp.
Many Thanks to Didcot Railway Centre.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:30 pm

I took these not long after the Railmotor first appeared at Didcot.

IMG_3540r.jpg

IMG_3541r.jpg

IMG_3548r.jpg

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Anyone got any idea as to what the oval hole in the roof is, just infront of chimney and is it also on the other side? I have not noticed it before in photos or drawings.

Phil.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Having looked again at the photos, I think it might be for the safety valves and is only on one side. I hope that Jeremy is going to add that feature to the kit.

Phil.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Post by Phil O » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 pm
Anyone got any idea as to what the oval hole in the roof is, just in front of chimney and is it also on the other side? I have not noticed it before in photos or drawings.

Hi Phil
Yes you are write they are not on the published drawings the small hole in the Centre is for the whistle to go through and the whistle has another cover attached to it which is a bit larger than the hole and can be seen in one of David's Pictures. The large hole to the right is for the safety valve and yes I have incorporated them both in my roof etch still need to draw the lining for the safety valve hole or make a casting.
IMG_4769.JPG

So far the roof will be made of eight etched pieces. First one is a base with fold up ribs to roll parts two and three over, that is an inner half etch and an outer for strength with the rain strips etc. etched on and should slot into the base then solder up in the frame to keep straight. Then the boiler cover and the hatch with door. Not made the door sliding yet but will before it goes for etching. then I will solder the gutter onto the protruding edge and file flush. But this may all change after I have tried it out.

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Jeremy,

I think that this kit will be a true Rolls Royce amongst kits with the level of accuracy and detail it has. It's also well thought out and should be relatively straightforward to build.

Phil.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks Phil for the comment I have been trying to get it right as far as I can. Its not going to be a beginners kit and a plenty experience in soldering will be needed.

Anyway I received today a large stack of production etches for the Diagram Q Footplate and the 8' fishbelly bogie so will spend the weekend making up Underframe Kits.
IMG_4770.JPG

I added a few parts to the footplate etch from the earlier one I did for my Railmotor as I had put them on the body etch but realized I would need them before the body is ready.
IMG_4771.JPG

Here on the Bogie etch I have added an extra parts etch for the Valve gear in case of any damage on any of the delicate parts while putting it together and a few screw link couplings always handy.
IMG_4772.JPG

The third production etch received is another project I have been working on. A Sprung Underframe for the latest Wizard 51L models wagon kit which is the LYR Goole End Door Coal Wagon with 12' wheelbase. Its time to update to sprung chassis for the kits in fact I have drawn underframes for the GCR 9'wheelbase 3 plank and the next one to come out the GCR 5 plank with a 9'6'' Wheelbase but have not test etched them yet.
IMG_4774.JPG

GWSGMember

Postby GWSGMember » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm

looking forward to placing my order for two railmotor kits to finally complete the motor bogies.

Regards
Ken

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Just been making up the Underframe Kits which will be £45 aech
Includes all parts except wheels to build the 59' Gloucester Built Diagram Q and Q1 Railmotors.
Etched Floor, Etched Bogie , White metal castings for both and a lost wax Buffer heads and Screw Link Coupling Centre
IMG_4776.JPG

Shows all parts except the various wires which I am now cutting to length. Vacuum Pipes will need to be made as well.
I will start building it for the instructions this week end.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 am

Well done Jeremy!
Another milestone.
Please put me done for one, I will email you as I need a few extra bits and pieces, and at long last I am in process of moving in to our new permanent home, but at the moment am surrounded by removal boxes that need unpacking, but before need some re-wiring, then carpets fitted etc. So it will be a while before I get to do some real modelling!
In the meantime have to make do with reading about other modellers exploits!
Steve

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:18 pm

Will wait to see if 70ft R footplate is a goer.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Its been a while since I have done any work on the Railmotor with trying to get the underframe instructions done but I have just received the interior and roof test etch. Just need to find an evening to put it together.
The roof is made from two baseplates with fold up ribs and two half etch top overlays we will have to see whether it goes together ok.
IMG_5079.JPG

I have also done some more Sprung Wagon Underframes test etches for 51L wagon kits. This time the GCR 3 plank which came out recently, the NER insulated van which I have had sitting on the shelf for many years waiting to be fitted with some form of compensation, lastly I have done the GCR 10ton 5 plank coal wagon which has just been or will be released any time now as I delivered the patterns to Andrew Hartshorn before Scalefour North there are two versions a fixed end and drop end.
I was recently asked to do some Generic Cosmetic Loco Springs I think look very nice on the etch but will have to see how they look on a chassis.
IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5086.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

Not sure why I wrote brakes on this etch.

You may notice I always do everything in Nickel Silver. This is for a very simple reason its is much nicer to work in and far cleaner than Brass. When soldering, Brass sucks the heat out of your iron so the tip cools slightly where Nickle keeps the heat where you want it without the tip cooling. I must admit I do tend to do turnings from Brass as it is cheaper and much easier to get brass rod than Nickle but I do use nickle for turning when I can.

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:I was recently asked to do some Generic Cosmetic Loco Springs I think look very nice on the etch but will have to see how they look on a chassis.

That was quick, really must put that chassis together.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:38 pm

Back to the Railmotor
Just made up the interior section of the model starting with the floors and seats
IMG_5095.JPG

The seats are made up but the flipside chairs need the cushions making and shaping out of thick plasicard but the bench seats are Ok as they are.
IMG_5094.JPG

The floors and seats are made up and can be painted before fitting.

These are the inners for the ends. The single layers are to be fitted behind the ends to give a slot for the glazing to fit in, then the bunker can be fitted behind that.
IMG_5104.JPG

There are two sizes of bunker and the large one has the rails fitted, some had 3, some had 4 rails and there was a period when the tall bunker was fitted with no rails.
IMG_5101.JPG

The next part is to make the boiler. This has been made from a half etch with boiler band on and rolled, then some backing parts for the washout plugs soldered from behind. It is fitted to the stepped floor to go around the pickups which protrude into the body area. The reversing lever then made up and soldered to the boiler.
IMG_5099.JPG

The top of the boiler is made from laminated plasicard and then been turned in the lathe but still needs the final finishing and smoothing. The pipes are made of copper wire from the scrap box to mock up on this one I will make some injectors for lost wax casting for the kit.

These are the Levers for the centre steps not sure if they can be seen from the window.
IMG_5103.JPG

All the parts lined up, there is a floor for the centre section but I slotted it in and have not been able to get it out again.
IMG_5096.JPG

Boiler in.
IMG_5097.JPG

Bunker in. This and the end backing pieces would be easier to fit earlier in the build before fitting the sliding door mounts.
IMG_5098.JPG

Return to “Jeremy Suter”