GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Armchair Modeller

Re: GWR Steam Railmotor Chassis

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 am

Just curious about the wheelbase as (shame!) the kit might be useful for something else. I found a diagram on the Internet suggesting 8ft but would appreciate confirmation.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:28 am

Hi Jeremy,
I didn't realise you were planning a body as well.
And then the internals, my mind races with thoughts of walk-over seats, coal bunker, quadrant reverser and 3D printed boiler moulding to slip over the motor.
As far as the underframe is concerned, would it help if I sent you the Mallard body etch?
Steve

JackBlack

Postby JackBlack » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:I will be releasing an undeframe and body kit later. Possibly as seperate kits but not sure yet the Underframe and Bogie etches are now almost complete, and I am midway through drawing the body.

Fantastic news!

Nick Allport
CLAG

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:18 pm

I have just spent the last few days making up some Chassis Kits ready for Wells show next week end they are £90 each.
IMG_4511.JPG

I only have 12 kits at the moment plenty more etches but need castings and gearboxes to complete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

GWSGMember

Postby GWSGMember » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Here's a request for two but unfortunately not at Railwells.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:.....they are £90 each.
IMG_4511.JPG

Ooof! :shock:

The dawn of the £100 chassis kit is not far away.

...I only have 12 kits at the moment plenty more etches but need castings and gearboxes to complete.

How will you be dealing with non-show orders :?:
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am
Just curious about the wheelbase as (shame!) the kit might be useful for something else. I found a diagram on the Internet suggesting 8ft but would appreciate confirmation.

Hi Richard
You don't say if you mean the Motor Bogie or the Other end.
All the GWR Motor Bogies were 8'. My railmotor has a 8' fishbelly for the other end.
I have also drawn the 9' Fishbelly. Just working on the castings and also waiting for the steps etch to arrive these bogies were used on some of the longer Railmotors.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Ivan

All you need to buy extra are the wheels. If you want a kit PM me.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:.... If you want a kit PM me.

PM sent :thumb

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:

Postby Armchair Modeller » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 am

Hi Richard
You don't say if you mean the Motor Bogie or the Other end.
All the GWR Motor Bogies were 8'. My railmotor has a 8' fishbelly for the other end.
I have also drawn the 9' Fishbelly. Just working on the castings and also waiting for the steps etch to arrive these bogies were used on some of the longer Railmotors.

Hi,

Sorry Jeremy - I meant the motor bogie. Many thanks for your reply. I will PM you to order one.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Jeremy,
On subject of wheels, for the Railmotor engine chassis I assume we will need 2 pairs of Alan Gibson 4S47L (for P4), but what should we order for the trailing bogie?
Are they 14mm Mansell or plain disc coach wheels?
Would help to know as I might as well order them all at the same time.
Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm

On subject of wheels, for the Railmotor engine chassis I assume we will need 2 pairs of Alan Gibson 4847L (for P4), but what should we order for the trailing bogie?

Hi Steve
Correct for the Driving wheels.
Good question on the bogie, I assumed they would all be Mansell but checking photos, I found that it depends on which Railmotor you are building. The early Matchboard vehicles had Mansell wheels, but the later ones had Plain Disc. Certainly the Gloucester built diagram Q's and the 70' vehicles had Plain Disc wheels.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:
On subject of wheels, for the Railmotor engine chassis I assume we will need 2 pairs of Alan Gibson 4847L (for P4), but what should we order for the trailing bogie?

Hi Steve
Correct for the Driving wheels.
Good question on the bogie, I assumed they would all be Mansell but checking photos, I found that it depends on which Railmotor you are building. The early Matchboard vehicles had Mansell wheels, but the later ones had Plain Disc. Certainly the Gloucester built diagram Q's and the 70' vehicles had Plain Disc wheels.

The preserved 93 has disc wheels and what looks like an American 9ft bogie, so that's what I'll be following!

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Jeremy,

On your "instructions" topic there is a step concerning the wheels where you state:-
Slot the Hornblocks onto the axle the correct way round so that the spring guide will be nearest the middle and face centre when slotted into the chassis. Now check they fit in the chassis and run freely. This will have to be quick check as the crank pin fouls the Slidebars. I had to put a 6 thou washed on each end of the axle to remove excess slop.
The right hand side leads when quartering the wheels.
Once gauged and quartered I have pinned them so that this axle is now fixed

Repeat for the drive axle but adding the motor gear box first so that it will slot up into the chassis.
I will not pin these wheels until I am happy with running.

What do you mean by "pinned"?

Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for asking about the wheels being "Pinned " Good question I didn't think to explain it when writing the instructions.

Pinning the Wheels is making sure that they will not move on the axle so that they do not loose there quartering.

This can be done in two ways by either drilling through the boss and axle and putting a wire in.
Or my prefered way is to put a small slot in the axle so that when the wheels are on, I can drill a .45 mm hole between the axle and the plastic wheel centre so that a .45mm wire can be slotted in so that the wheel will not slipe round the axle.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Payment sent for one kit initially :thumb

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Jeremy,
I have not started my build yet, I've been reading the instructions thoroughly to get acquainted with everything before I make a blunder.
The etches look too good to spoil!

At the end of the instructions for the chassis, you state:-
For this 4 milled posts are supplied. They need the corners rounding and the hole in the bottom drilling out to .7mm for a .7mm wire to be soldered in a starter hole has been made. They need to be soldered to the Underframe 10.4mm apart. Now the height should be adjusted to suit.

Did you make a jig to get them exactly 10.4mm apart?
Steve

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 am

Hi Steve
Good Question. I hadn't thought about people using the Mallard Bodies.
So the short answer is No, but on the Underframe etch which is now ready for a production run. There are two holes and rivet overlays at the right spacings to mount the suspension Brackets to. I originally thought to fit a rod to the Bracket to fit to the Underframe, but I have not done it on the test Build.

David B

Postby David B » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 am

I would suggest mounting the posts on the solebar last. Make the bogie and suspension bracket, fit the posts to the bracket and then match them to the underframe.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 am

CornCrake wrote:Hi Jeremy,
I have not started my build yet, I've been reading the instructions thoroughly to get acquainted with everything before I make a blunder.
The etches look too good to spoil!

Almost enough parts to build two motor bogies.

At the end of the instructions for the chassis, you state:-
For this 4 milled posts are supplied. They need the corners rounding and the hole in the bottom drilling out to .7mm for a .7mm wire to be soldered in a starter hole has been made. They need to be soldered to the Underframe 10.4mm apart. Now the height should be adjusted to suit.

Wait now.... you got instructions with your kit? Mine must be missing....

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Horsetan,
The instructions were not with the kit but the ones Jeremy published on here:
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5928&p=62221&hilit=gwr+instructions#p61785

Steve

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:48 pm

CornCrake wrote:Hi Horsetan,
The instructions were not with the kit but the ones Jeremy published on here:
https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=5928&p=62221&hilit=gwr+instructions#p61785

Think I'd better print those out.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I have recently received some 3'11" wheels from Alan Gibson for the motor bogie, but they are without crankpin holes, just an indent on the front surface as a position guide.
It looks as though I am in need of a crankpin drilling jig as described by Will L here https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8522#p8522, but suitable for an 8" throw.
Does anyone know if such a beast is currently available, or where I might get one made?

Steve

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Could you not make a simple jig yourself? I made one for my Gibson wheels that had dimples ....

My method was quite crude but has been successful.

I used an off cut of milled brass (I soldered together two pieces of an old set of K's frames to gain some thickness). I drilled an axle hole to house over the wheel axle and then drilled a pilot hole offset the correct distance for the crank pin.
I then drilled the crank hole (located by eye over the dimple) through the pilot hole and into the wheel using a pin vice.

The pilot hole and axle hole were drilled using a Dremel held in a stand (I don't have a pillar drill yet) which kept the holes pretty vertical. The pilot hole acted as a guide for the drill in the pin vice (both for location and verticality) and the accuracy has worked pretty well for me.

Alternatively, you could use Allan Goodwillie's jig a description of how to make is found here .... its the 20th post down

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666
Tim Lee

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I will give it a try, but without a pillar drill don't hold out much hope in getting the holes vertical/parallel.
I've also found this suggestion:- https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2019&start=50#p18358
The required crankpin throw is 8" which equates to 2.6mm, will have to see how accurately I can measure & mark up.
Steve

Return to “Jeremy Suter”