GWR Diagram V2 Van

Jeremy Suter

GWR Diagram V2 Van

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:10 pm

I have spent some time drawing in the computer and come up with a the GWR Diagram V2 Parcels Van which Colin Waite did many years ago and have never been able to get a kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Jeremy Suter

Re: GWR Diagram V2 Van

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:40 pm

PPD Have done the etching in 12 Thou Nickel Silver. :D
Although there are still one or two very minor errors, (As this is actually my second test etch). Which are the lengths of some of the Brake Rodding.
You can see there are two sets of brakes for both internal and external pull rods. The Daigram V2 Actually had the external type so I can use the others elsewhere . I have also opted at this point for the basic rocking bar compensation although I am thinking about drawing some for the sprung type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Now for some Building.

iak

Postby iak » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Impressive Jeremy.
Not my sort of thing but wow.
Are you looking for other subjects? :D
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Ian
Had a lot of enjoyment doing this so I think I probably am.
A bit more done.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:03 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:I have spent some time drawing in the computer and come up with a the GWR Diagram V2 Parcels Van which Colin Waite did many years ago and have never been able to get a kit.

I am sorry to pour cold water on a good job but why didn't you just buy one of these:

http://www.broadgauge.org.uk/modelling/ ... s_4mm.html
enter V2 into the search box.

It is one of the ex-IKBmodels narrow gauge ( standard G to you philistines) kits now owned by BGS and flogged through me. Also available in 7mm.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:22 am

Paul Townsend wrote:I am sorry to pour cold water on a good job but why didn't you just buy one of these:

Because he couldn't find it on the BGS site? It's on page 31 of an un-ordered, 51-page list and your link points to page 1 (looks like the paging is done in script and there are no URLs for individual pages). The BG and SG items are all mixed together. Modellers of GWR SG probably don't realise that there's stuff in there that they might use.

Jeremy: are you planning to market your kit?

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:I am sorry to pour cold water on a good job but why didn't you just buy one of these:

Hi Paul
This was always going to be a project in CAD drawing. I only wanted a kit to see what had been done before. I had seen the Colin Waite kit made up before and knew he had made a small mistake which I was going to correct.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Now looking at the sides I decided to make a secondary layer which folds down behind to give depth to the door windows and give strength to the sides. with eth lower panels being half etch single layer it should be easy to put the tumblehome in.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:Jeremy: are you planning to market your kit?

Hi Guy
Yes in time I hope to market it.
All the patterns for casting have been made and am now waiting for MJT to cast them,I only wished I had photographed them before I parted with them so I could have put a picture of them up.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 am

Guy Rixon wrote:

Because he couldn't find it on the BGS site? It's on page 31 of an un-ordered, 51-page list and your link points to page 1 (looks like the paging is done in script and there are no URLs for individual pages). The BG and SG items are all mixed together. Modellers of GWR SG probably don't realise that there's stuff in there that they might use.

That is why my post said to use the excellent search tool which is fine with many keywords eg carriage or narrow

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:08 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:

Hi Paul
This was always going to be a project in CAD drawing. I only wanted a kit to see what had been done before. I had seen the Colin Waite kit made up before and knew he had made a small mistake which I was going to correct.

But afaik the ex- IKB kit corrected that mistake, remind me what it was.

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Oh look, rocking w-irons -- how quaint.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Paul Townsend wrote:But afaik the ex- IKB kit corrected that mistake, remind me what it was.

Hi Paul.
The error that Colin Waite made was that the two sides are mirror images of them selves which is correct to the drawing published in Russell's Coaches Book Vol 1. But when you look carefully at photos of the van, the guards door on the opposite side to the drawing opens with the hinges on the left hand side. Not sure if IKB spotted this as Dart castings sides have made the same mistake. In my photo at the top of the page I had not changed it from mirror imaging the first side, yet as you can see this is not the drawing for the etches in the second picture.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:49 pm

This is the opposite side from the rear with hinge plates on the correct side(Far right). Note the slots to glaze the guards lookouts when painted. Also the ends are double thickness for rigidity and slotting the steps in the gaps puts in right place.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Four sides together ready for the lookout covers to be cut to the same length as the body.
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:42 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:
Paul Townsend wrote:But afaik the ex- IKB kit corrected that mistake, remind me what it was.

Hi Paul.
The error that Colin Waite made was that the two sides are mirror images of them selves which is correct to the drawing published in Russell's Coaches Book Vol 1. But when you look carefully at photos of the van, the guards door on the opposite side to the drawing opens with the hinges on the left hand side. Not sure if IKB spotted this as Dart castings sides have made the same mistake. In my photo at the top of the page I had not changed it from mirror imaging the first side, yet as you can see this is not the drawing for the etches in the second picture.

Thanks.
BGS has its annual field trip today....my apologies to AGM as awol walking the Atmospheric Rly.
If I get time before train I will check our V2 and can have an appropriate conversation later with Kay, lately of IKB Models

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Working on the guards lookouts. First putting the curves in with 4mm and 12mm rods.
Using the 4mm rod for the top and middle bend and used against a set square to keep at right angle, and then 12 mm rod to do the bottom reverse curve. when soldered in place I can then snip off and file flush the extra length of the cover to match the side base the top is also over sized but can stay on as will be under the roof when fitted.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Now the sides and ends are together I need to roll roof to correct curve and then tack soldering in the middle of each end of the body so I can then make sure over hang is parallel on all sides and the body does not get distorted before fixing properly.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:15 am

Hi Jeremy

Surprised you don't make the roof an independent part of the model? It makes it much easier to paint and of course for vehicles that aren't full brakes to put the internal detail in.

I make tabs that come down from the roof to floor level and secure these to the floor by way of a nut & bolt. Very easy for a full brake as you do it at the ends and use the same fixing points as you have for securing the floor to the body. A bit more difficult for open coaches but here I tend to use a couple of the compartment dividing partitions in the same manner.

Nice crisp etchings. The modern generation of CAD driven etch masters are better than most of what went before.

Mark
Mark Tatlow

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi Mark
Thanks for the comment a very welcome and good point to make. Like you I too make the roofs separate on passenger coaches so that I can put the interiors in after they are painted. My way of doing this is to make the roof like a tin lid. Fixed to an inner frame with a tight fit so that it holds it self on and can be glued on with varnish after painting.
Anyway as this is a none passenger vehicle there is no need to make the roof separate.
As to painting I shall have no problem with masking off the separate parts for spraying as you should see soon and it will be fully lined in GWR livery. Actually the roof being on with help to keep the coach steady when lining.
PPD did the Etchings for me and your right about being very sharp these days, although I do have them done in Nickel Silver rather than Brass for a cleaner finish.
picture know attached with roof firmly secured at both ends and in the centre for rigidity.
IMG_1807.JPG
Last edited by Jeremy Suter on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 am

The main mistake in the CW version was the vertical beadings in the long waist panels. These aren't present in the BGS version, being an ex-IKB.

The outside-clasp brake rigging on the CW was quite fearsome!

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:44 pm

I have now had some castings back from MJT which include
Buffer Shanks ready for sprung Buffer heads. 5' Leaf Springs, Vacuum Cylinder and Axle Boxes.
All these items are to be added to the MJT range, along with a 6' Leaf Spring and Gas Cylinder which is for another project I have been working on. A replacement chassis for Ratio 4 Wheel Coaches.
IMG_1809.JPG

Springs added to the body but not soldered on yet.
IMG_1811.JPG

I also did a Roof Ventilator can be seen on left in top picture but did not put a hinge on it as when I looked at the drawing in Russell's book one is not shown and could not see one in the photographs. I assumed it would open by just lifting off but studying other coaches it should have a hinge facing one side of the coach rather than one end.

iak

Postby iak » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 am

Very tasty Jeremy :thumb
Not my cup of grog but all the same, nice...
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Jeremy

Great to see MJT can now get the long-tailed heads for 2' buffers. Thanks also for the new spring lengths, which will be very useful items. (I think the only previous source of 6' springs was Mainly Trains, but they haven't been available for yonks.)

If I understand your picture, what you call a 'roof ventilator' is in fact an oil lamptop. I don't think the V2s ever had roof vents of the 'double-trumpet' type fitted to some early horseboxes. I think all oil lamptops mounted in the centre of roofs had their tops opening longitudinally rather than side to side. (Oil lamp tops mounted on sides of roofs might have been different.) Oil lamp tops had an adjacent filler. Some, perhaps most, V2s were fitted with single-pipe gas-light fittings from c 1900 onward.

Here's a detail of Dave Stone's 7mm oil-lamped V2:
v2-detail.jpg

Return to “Jeremy Suter”