Stock for North Elmham

Lord Colnago

Stock for North Elmham

Postby Lord Colnago » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:16 pm

In the absence of any chance for us to meet for the foreseeable future, I thought it was about time that I posted some pictures of the first batch of Grain wagons that I have been working on for the layout. I have been meaning to do this for some time but never seem to have got around to it until now so apologies to the chaps in the group for that.

The wagons are Bachmann BR Grain wagons that have been re-painted and weathered to varying degrees. That and replacement wheels and couplings just about sums up the work involved. I haven't been able to get sufficient weight into any of them but they do seem to run OK. That said, new chassis have been commissioned and hopefully I can address that issue as I upgrade each one. At that point I will replace the moulded handrails and do something about the ladders but they suffice for now. Six have been done so far and here are pictures of each.

DSCN0188.JPG

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

DSCN0191.JPG

DSCN0192.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

I'm working on these in batches of six or so with a view to having around twenty in the grain train. The Wells next the sea branch had granaries at North Elmham, Ryburgh and Fakenham so there was considerable grain traffic at times. A long way to go then with these wagons!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The second best priest

Serjt-Dave

Re: Stock for North Elmham

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Excellent work there.

Keep Safe.

Dave

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:34 pm

What stops you getting sufficient weight into them, LC?

A new chassis sounds like excellent news! I'll look forward to developments on that.
James Dickie

My workbench

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi James,

I found that it wasn't easy to part the top of the body from the bottom and I didn't want to push it! There is some lead sheet in the hopper bottom but not enough. When we get the new chassis we'll be losing that. I think I'll look at drilling into the base of the body to add lead sheet when I do the upgrades.

John.
The second best priest

Denis Perkins

Postby Denis Perkins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 pm

One of those grain wagons has already had a run out on my (still nowhere near finished) Honiton layout.

https://vimeo.com/406625690/e9363b9544

As John say, runs OK given it's a wheel swap and has limited additional weight. Signs of a wobbly wheelset though!
Last edited by Denis Perkins on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Denis, the running was very nice. Your track work looks and runs beautifully. Would you put up some more photos. I would be most interested to see what and how you have been building the layout. :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Denis Perkins

Postby Denis Perkins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:34 pm

Thanks Doug. I did have a thread about my layout some time ago but didn't persevere with it. As this is a thread for NNAG's North Elmham stock, I'll resurrect the Honiton thread in a day or two with some more comment. In the meantime, https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3534 should provide some idea. Just seen the date, it was a long time ago and not that much happened since!

Denis Perkins

Postby Denis Perkins » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:51 am

With John busy taking care of the Grain Wagons and Milk Tankers for North Elmham, I wrestled away his Hornby D16 to do a drop in wheel conversion as a speedy way of getting some additional motive power for the layout. It really was a straightforward and quick conversion.

Runs satisfactorily as can be seen here https://vimeo.com/406658475/371af3ae0f

I think I had the sound off on this clip but can confirm it's a really quiet runner.

As soon as we're allowed out again it will be on its way back to John to be made to look more like the real thing!

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:35 am

Denis that does run very nicely. I am tempted to do that myself... though I promised myself RTR stays as OO and kit built is P4... but that is very nice. I am going to stick with my NER based and group standards for the LNER... :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “North Norfolk”