Finishing what I've started! Highland Coaches.

Paulhb

Finishing what I've started! Highland Coaches.

Postby Paulhb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:57 pm

Like many of us I have tend to start something, get a way along and then something else takes the fancy and off I go with something different with the end result I have a number of projects nearly but not quite complete. By sharing I might actually finish some things that have been knocking around in various states of non completeness for far too long.

To kick off some Highland Railway coaches for the Portmahomack Light Railway that have been finished a while all but painting.

Highland Railway Dia 25

A lochgorm kit built as per instructions but with Bill Bedford sprung suspension rather that the designed in compensation.

IMG_1030.jpg

Highland Railway all third, Dia 19

From basic floor and side/end frets purchased from David Geen or via eBay ( can't really remember), ex Gibson, ex Microrail. The chassis is sprung with scratch roof based on design used by Lochgorm, ie brass skin over a string former.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Paul Bannerman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paulhb on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knuckles

Re: Finishing what I've started! Two Highland Coaches.

Postby Knuckles » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Ooh ooh ooh! Now you've really grabbed me.
I'm not so bothered about 'normal' coaches but I have a soft spot for these earlier 4 wheelers of various design, prefer 4 over 6. Seeing this post has me excited to see more already as I've been eyeing some Roxey Mouldings 4 wheelers for a good while now, just waiting for the right time as my modelling desk is occupied a lot lately.

I relate fully with half completed projects. I thinknit is fine to have a few on the go at once as you can switch about rather than get bored but what I also find is too many half done tasks causes a bit of cognative dissonance, "finish me, finish me, pull thine finger out..." etc. The other issue is desk space.

Thanks for posting these, looking forward to seeing some progress.
Was the built in suspension a bit naff or was Bill's better or easier? I like Bill's wagon units much.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi Knuckles,

Quite agree it's ok to have several things on the go, as you say maintains interest. These two have however been in naked brass for several years so about time they were decorated.

Regarding the 4 wheeler, the built in compensation is fine it's just I prefer Bill's springing units.

Regards Paul

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:58 am

Very nice work there Paul. Like most of us I too have a number of projects hanging around awaiting completion and it is very satisfying to get them finished! I guess these two will be in Highland Rly livery - what is that please? Are they green?

Gerry

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Good looking carriages of the proper vintage :D
Test run soon at Highbridge where there are still plenty of bumps to test your suspension?

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Gerry, Paul thank you. They will both in overall Green - HR dark green 1885 - 1912 to be precise - rather than the short lived green and white livery. That delight will be my challenge when I finish the Duke of Sutherland's Small Saloon. Another one that has been waiting a rather long time to get beyond the bare brass stage.

The 4 wheeler has now received it's decoration and is waiting satin varnish, glazing, seats, buffers, wheels and couplings.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

The Dukes Saloon waiting...

Regards Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:21 pm

Looking good, also looking forward to the finished result.

That Duke's saloon is a beauty, interesting design with style. Very much wanting one.

Are you scratch building seats or can you buy them? I made some Ratio plastic coaches yonks ago but the seats you had to get elsewhere.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Knuckles,

The seats (benches) were obtained a while ago from Wizard Models although I'm sure others do them.

Regards Paul

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Ok many thanks. I like Wizard Models, so much cool stuff to buy. I usually get buffer heads and springs from there.

Anyway, thanks for the seat tip and good luck finishing the coaches.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:21 am

Hi Paul, those look good!

The second, the six wheeler, is the former Microrail kit. I have recently built one with a few differences to you. The most significant is that I have experimented with a middle axle that has a 2mm tube on a pin point rod. I have not yet got this finished but will share when I have.
Last edited by Mark Tatlow on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Tatlow

Paulhb

Re: Finishing what I've started! Now three Highland Coaches.

Postby Paulhb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Hello,

Quick update on progress.

The 4 wheel Dia 25 is now complete and have attached a couple pictures below including one with a Passenger Brake Van I did manage to finish a while ago.

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

The Dia 19, 6 wheel all third has now received its Halfords red oxide primer and hopefully will progress over next week or so.

Mark - I have also gone down same the route of springing the middle axle in the way you describe.

I'm not sure about those top step boards, I have a feeling they should be continuous.

IMG_0168.jpg

With the Dia 25 finished I dug out from the deepest recesses of the put aside cupboard a Highland Railway Diagram 2, 6 wheel all First. The one with Chariot ends.

This must have been put away well over 5 years ago and I can't really remember why. Its an old Microrail kit and I recall struggling with the 6 wheel chassis and eventually replaced it with a Brassmasters Cleminson which does work a treat. The coach as can be seen is in quite a sorry state and needs a new buffer, some replacement hinges, a hole in one of the white metal ends filled (how did that happen!), something done with the plasticard roof (i.e. replaced with a brass one, new full length upper step boards, lamp irons....... The intention is to finish this one in two tone white/green livery which should be an interesting challenge. At the moment it looks truly 'orrible!

IMG_0175.jpg

Paul

Mark Tatlow

Re: Finishing what I've started! Highland Coaches.

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:24 am

Hi Paul

Stepboards definitely changed over the lives of the carriages and possibly between batches. There are insufficient photos to be conclusive so you will probably be right whichever option you adopt!

I am now always arranging to have nut & bolt fastenings for my grooves. I just could not get them to sit tight without gaps in any other way.

Weren't the stoplights varnished mahogany? Would need to check the Livery Register but I have a feeling they were.
Mark Tatlow

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:...Weren't the stoplights varnished mahogany? ...

HR applied some odd fittings then, or is it just that you've upset you phones predictive text genie.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Will L wrote:
Mark Tatlow wrote:...Weren't the stoplights varnished mahogany? ...

HR applied some odd fittings then, or is it just that you've upset you phones predictive text genie.

Oops!

That would be spill-chucker's fault!

Try "drop-light".....
Mark Tatlow

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:07 pm

The all first Chariot end coach is now looking better. As well as minor repairs I have replaced the warped plastikard roof with a brass one and full length footboards. Now getting cold feet about the white/green livery and may go all green!

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Paul

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:14 am

Hi Paul,

Looking good, the chariot ended coaches are rather fun aren't they - they look to be something from a by-gone era even when they were first built?

The cast end of the Microrail one is a bit easier than the built up etch of the Lochgorm version (but give it a dusting of matt grey undercoat as I found some of the panel definition needed to be sharpened a touch). It would look fine in the two tone green/cream?

The droplights on the all green and the two tone are varnished, by the way. I had to look it up myself over the weekend!
Mark Tatlow

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks Mark. These coaches certainly have character and the cast ends definitely make it easier although I haven't tried the Lochgorm way...yet!

I looked for information about the drop lights but couldn't find anything so useful detail, cheers!

Paul

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi,

Things are coming along albeit slowly!

The Diagram 19 all third has now reappeared from the paint shop and is awaiting seats and glazing.

IMG_0269.jpg

Also progressed are some wagons that having been virtually completed for some time.

Highland 8 ton Meat van built by RY Pickering in 1911. This is a Lochgorm kit but with springing rather than the designed in compensation. Primed and waiting final finish.

IMG_0272.jpg

Highland 4 plank mineral, a basic kit from Highland Railway Society which included resin body and cast buffers and axle box's. I bought a pack of five so only four more to do! The single sided brake gear is an etch from the Society. A few Scaleforums ago I purchased some W-irons from Paul Tasker which are a combination of compensation and springing and which I would say are easy to put together and do work well. Also Highland 2 plank Timber wagon from Bill Bedford which took all of a few hours to put together and has waited patiently to go to the paint shop.

IMG_0274.jpg

And finally a train....

IMG_0283.jpg

Paul

Paulhb

Postby Paulhb » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:44 pm

The Diagram 19 6 wheel all third is near enough complete with glazing and seats, perhaps just a bit of weathering along the footboards to do. The main livery finish is Precision Highland Railway 1885 - 1912. Transfers are Fox on a thin layer of gloss varnish only applied where the markings are located to prevent the backing showing. The coach is then airbrushed with a Satin Varnish to bring things together.

Overall I’m quite pleased with this one especially as it was not a straightforward kit build but needed some thought regarding the chassis in particular. So far it worked well being push and pulled through the test track reverse curve.

IMG_0350.jpg

Took longer to finish both of these but there was some diversion and time is limited. Role on retirement!

IMG_0364.jpg

Best wishes Paul

Return to “Paulhb”