Dinghams

Clack

Dinghams

Postby Clack » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi People,
Does any body know if Dinghams are still about.
I sent an order in Jan of this year. I chased it up about three weeks later and Trevor did get back explaining that he was out of stock at the moment but I should get my order in three weeks.
Nothing happened so come April I sent a polite reminder but there was no reply.
I sent another reminder in June but still nothing.
Your hopefully.
David.

David Knight

Re: Dinghams

Postby David Knight » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:36 pm

If the experience of other small suppliers is anything to go by it may well be a problem with getting etches done.

Cheers,

David

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:45 am

If your need is urgent I have a few etches I can send.

Clack

Postby Clack » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi David,

Things really must be backed up, I will just have to be patient.

Hi nberrington, many thanks for your kind offer. My layout is in the early stages of build and so the couplings are not urgent, yet.
I really want a fine and workable coupling and just wanted to get my hands on some before committing to converting my rolling stock.

All the best,

David.

Wizard of the Moor

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:23 pm

I ordered an etch of Dingham couplers at the start of April this year and received them very promptly.
James Dickie

My workbench

kevini

Postby kevini » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Looks like the website is no longer there and my last paypal payment/order was returned so I think they are not trading any more but it anyone has some more information then please let us know as I wanted to get some

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:11 pm

According to Western Thunder, the owner has stopped trading due to ill health:

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/thread ... ngs.10063/

philchudley

Postby philchudley » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:16 pm

I heard from a friend and confirmed by the Gauge 0 Guild website, they have taken over Dinghams and will be on their on-line shop (members only) shortly.

As I am not a member of the Gauge 0 Guild I cannot tell if this includes the 4mm version, or maybe they went elsewhere?

Phil

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:15 pm

A chap called Marc Dobson is shortly bringing out what he descibes as an updated and improved version of Dingham couplings. These will be compatible with the standard version which is no longer being produced by TRrevor Shaw. Whether this is the same as the ones shortly to be appearing on the Gauge O Guild website I do not know, but Marc says that while 7mm versions will be the first on the market, 4mm versions will follow soon after - see https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... couplings/

DT

kevini

Are Dinghams available any more?

Postby kevini » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Website is not available and I had my order payment returned from paypal with no explanation

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:27 pm

See posts above.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:27 am

I have spoken with my contacts in the Gauge 0 Guild. They confirm that they have purchased both the 4mm and 7mm scale versions of the couplings as the original owner wished to sell the Dingham couplings as a single entity. They will be available to purchase online soon.

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:02 am

ColinMcC wrote: .........They will be available to purchase online soon.

By non-members?

DT

Neil Smith

Postby Neil Smith » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:31 pm

I am only basing this on what's in the link from Marc Dobson - but he runs what was originally called the Furness Wagon Co, making 7mm wagons originally of Furness origin but now from all corners of the country (hence the name morphing not entirely to Pre Grouping Wagons - and now has started doing a few 4mm body only versions too).

So I would be very surprised if he doesn't sell these on the open market - as he already does with all his kits.

Best wishes

Neil

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:13 pm

As I understand it Marc Dobson is producing a new and he says improved product that will indeed be on the open market, initially 7mm ones to be followed a few months later by 4mm ones, whileas from what Phil says it would appear that he gauge O Guild has bought the rights to the existing Dinghams product from Trevor Smith and will continue to produce authentic Dingham couplers. It has been suggested that the Gauge O Guild will only sell to its own members, which if true suggests that there might not be much point in their producing the 4mm unit, particularly if Marc Dobson is to be doing so. No doubt we shall see in the fullness of time.

DT

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:09 pm

I have made further enquiries with the Gauge 0 Guild and the Dingham couplings will appear in the on-line shop in a few days. The prices for the 4mm scale coupling pack remains at £13.50 per pack and the electro-magnets are £5 each. Postage and packing are extra.

Non-members of the Gauge 0 Guild can purchase from the on-line shop although members of the Guild do enjoy a discount of about 10%.

Colin.

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi,

The Dingham couplings are now available from the Gauge '0' Guild. Further information can be found http://www.gaugeoguild.com/onlinesales/ ... spx?scid=8

A reminder that Gauge '0' Guild members do enjoy a discount of Dingham couplings and other products.

Colin.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:51 pm

There is also an alternative version available which claims some advantages over the original:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt-4636261
I have not seen or tested these couplings but they sound interesting.

Cheers,

David

SteamAle

Postby SteamAle » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 pm

Link to a new video showing them working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V3bcLR25E4
Philip

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:17 pm

There is now a rumour alive on RMweb that the S4Society has obtained the rights to the 4mm version of Dinghams. Can anyone confirm or deny?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176131-4m ... nt=5022914

Cheers,

David

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:17 pm

David Knight wrote:There is now a rumour alive on RMweb that the S4Society has obtained the rights to the 4mm version of Dinghams. Can anyone confirm or deny?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/176131-4m ... nt=5022914

Cheers,

David

Hi David

In the notes from the November 2022 Committee meeting, available in the members area, it says-

• Dingham couplings: the Gauge 0 Guild had offered the Society the opportunity to take over supply of the 4mm version to ensure its continued availability. There would be a further announcement when arrangements were complete.

Discussions are ongoing.
Steve Carter

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:28 pm

Thanks Steve. I hope there is a positive result.

Cheers,

David

peterbkloss

Re: Dinghams - Marc Dobson

Postby peterbkloss » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi everyone with an interest in Dinghams

Has anyone had contact with Marc Dobson recently - I had an exchange of emails around 20th December as I was after some of his longer loops for his to retro add to Dinghams, but he seems to have 'dropped off the net'

Just in case someone else has had contact with him recently

Kind regards, Peter Kloss

(edited after the comments below)
Last edited by peterbkloss on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:12 pm

According to Marc’s website he had a water outage that took precedence but normal service has now been resumed. He has been active on RMweb recently.

Cheers,

David

Winander

Re: Dinghams - Marc Dobson

Postby Winander » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:10 pm

peterbkloss wrote:Hi everyone with an interst in Dinghams

I'm adding this post because people who don't know that Marc Dobson produces a 'Dinghams-like' alternative he calls a Flippem may get confused about the supply of the genuine, original Dinghams.

MarcD's website is https://pregroupingrailways.com/2022/01/01/new-flippem-automatic-coupling-system-in-both-4mm-and-7mm-scales/
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Couplings”