Accurascale couplings

tmcsean

Accurascale couplings

Postby tmcsean » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 am

I've bought some Accurascale instanter and screw couplings - sadly almost the only items on their website which are in period for me. They look really fine, but in my glass-half-empty moments I have been wondering if the shank and the couplings themselves are robust enough to hold up to heavy use in long trains. Has anyone had practical experience of them?

Tony

kelly

Re: Accurascale couplings

Postby kelly » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:27 pm

I thought they were designed to be cosmetic or am I mistaken in that?
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm

That was the gist of my question. They look well made and ok, but I don't have a layout to allow me to put an Accurascale-coupled wagon at the front of a long, grumpy goods train and see what happens.

Tony

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:02 pm

The description on the website says there good for carrying a load. I've just ordered a bag of screw couplings as they look far finer than the old Smith's offerings. So, soon find out.

Mike

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:39 pm

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Got a pack of the screw couplings this week.

They look to be pretty strong but, if coupled, the tommy bar sticks up rather than hanging down.

I’ve seen someone on RMWeb who has modified his by replacing the top pin allowing the links to be turned round allowing the tommy bar to hang down.

John

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:11 pm

They're also of a type that as far as I am aware was mainly used on diesel locomotives and more modern rolling stock. Apart from the tommy bar issue, I don't think they are what we hoped. I asked Accurascale about the possibility of the availability of a product more suited to my needs, i.e as used on steam ere stock, and was told that if a future product meant that they developed one, it would be available as an accessory.

Shame as they are nice mouldings.

David C

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 am

The Accurascale coupling is an excellent representation of the later RIV/UIC "continental" coupling & Hook (To RCH drawing 2827) as used on some BR rolling stock from the mid 1950's. It was standard on Cemflo's, the majority of 35t GLW tanks wagons, some of the later lots of BR Brake vans BR built rolling stock for international use etc.

The RIV/UIC Loco coupling used a different profile hook and was more a much more substantial affair.

I've modified accurascale couplings by replacing the plastic pivot through the hook with a brass lace making pin enabling it to be used as a working coupling on heavy rolling stock.

You may find these of interest.

The Accurascale hook as compared to the official drawing.

A'scale-Cemflo-080-editSm.jpg

Cemflo Drawbar.

CemfloDarlo-021-EditSm.jpg

The prototype Esso 35 GLW Class B tank.

Esso-3300-prototype_1957RIV.jpg

Original fitment hook to BR Brake.

B954928-RIV_28-02-69(2)-©-Pwd-Coll.jpg

Original fitment hook, BR Ferryvan (Preserved)

QuintonRoad2014--61sm.jpg

Finally a BR Continental coupling showing the thicker top links with wider hook.

D5109pontiland2-1Edit.jpg

P

No connection with Accurascale apart from the fact one of their boys once gave me a free carrier bag (and very nice it was too).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Couplings”