Exactoscale wagon couplings - a problem

Mike Garwood

Exactoscale wagon couplings - a problem

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Let me start by saying I love the look and simplicity of these couplings. I like operating with them, despite my deteriorating eyesight, and they'll be used on the fledgling Hengoed High Level. But why, oh why, do the links fall out of the hook- nearly every time - I put them away and then take them back out, half a dozen will have parted company with each other. Discounting the evil coupling pixies how do I stop this from happening? Someone with more brains than I have must have a solution without compromising the link chain.

And having returned from Scale4 can I say a big thank you to all concerned, especially those out in the cold of the car park. And to Terry a very big thank you for another inspirational show.

regards

Mike

steamraiser

Re: Exactoscale wagon couplings - a problem

Postby steamraiser » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Fill the gap in the top of the hook where the top chain link goes with a piece of wire or a minute dab of solder.

Gordon A

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm

Mike Garwood wrote:....why, oh why, do the links fall out of the hook- nearly every time - I put them away and then take them back out, half a dozen will have parted company with each other. ...

I used to close up the gap with a pair of pliers after inserting the top link. No falling out after that.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

iak

Postby iak » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Horsetan wrote:
Mike Garwood wrote:....why, oh why, do the links fall out of the hook- nearly every time - I put them away and then take them back out, half a dozen will have parted company with each other. ...

I used to close up the gap with a pair of pliers after inserting the top link. No falling out after that.

I agree with our model making jockey. Some pliers do the job for me also.
Stick the coupling in a vice, drop in the chain, close the gap a shade, give it a wiggle and voila...
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm

To get the links into the hook, you must have pushed them in, widening the gap at the top.

I broached the hole for the links out, to ensure the links would hang freely. This also made a burr across the top, ensuring the links would not fall out. The links were then threaded into the holes in the hook.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 pm

Tim V wrote : "To get the links into the hook, you must have pushed them in, widening the gap at the top."

Sorry I reasoned that it would be wiser to thin one link and push it in to the gap...which is probably why they fall out, BUT, I'm only taking a nats wotsit off the link. I didn't want to compromise the shape and function of the hook.

Anyway, thank you for the responses, time to go and try....

Mike

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 pm

The thinned bit should be half way up the long side of the link, then you have to try hard to get it to fall out.
But I just open the link and thread it in, then close the link. Can't do that in full size :)
Rgds
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Couplings”