The ‘Burford’ Auto-coupling

martin goodall

The ‘Burford’ Auto-coupling

Postby martin goodall » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Following the demonstration of my ‘Burford’ auto-coupling at Scaleforum, I am now publishing as promised a complete set of instructions, explaining the fabrication, assembly, fitting and operation of these couplings.

These are attached to this post as a PDF file.

BURFORD COUPLING INSTRONS (2018).pdf

Don’t be put off by the lengthy and detailed nature of these notes. I simply wanted to ensure that all the ‘FAQs’ that might reasonably be asked have been answered, and that any points that might not be obvious have been fully explained.

In practice, the assembly of these couplings is relatively straightforward, and making up sub-assemblies in batches as suggested in the notes will undoubtedly speed up production.

I really do find the operation of these couplings as near as damn it 100% reliable, and they have fulfilled my aims in developing this design.

I haven’t had time yet to take photos (let alone the video that someone asked for), but these will follow if or when I get ‘a round tuit’.

I would welcome any comments and questions about the ‘Burford’ coupling on this thread, although remarks concerning other types of coupling would best be directed to the thread started by Dave McCabe [junctonmad] (“Auto- Couplings , what choices - decisions”).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alan Woodard

Re: The ‘Burford’ Auto-coupling

Postby Alan Woodard » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Martin.

The build instructions are very good, but even one or two photos would be great.

Cheers.

Alan.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:37 am

I read the document , very comprehensive text wise But short on diagrams ( no side or front view diagrams )

And As has been said a couple of photos would be very useful

Thanks again Martin

Dave

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Photos to follow shortly.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Here are the promised photos.

The first shot is a broadside of a 4-wheel wagon, showing the hook on the left (with the hinged over-rider partially visible above it) and the loop on the right, with its dropper hanging down. This dropper seems to be at a higher angle than intended, but it works perfectly, so I haven’t bothered to bend it down to the correct angle of 45°.

CPLG 1.jpg

The second shot shows the hook on another wagon. The hinged over-rider is more clearly visible in this photo.

CPLG 2.jpg

The same coupling is seen obliquely from above in the next shot. The three-link coupling is purely cosmetic. It is not entirely clear in this photo, but the hook and over-rider are 3 mm closer to the camera, whereas the hanging coupling links are on the centre line of the wagon.

CPLG 3.jpg

Next we have an oblique shot from above of the loop at the other end of the wagon suspended from a pair of handrail knobs soldered into brass tube. You can just see the dropper hanging down from the back of the loop.

CPLG 4.jpg

This next shot shows two wagons buffered together and coupled up.

CPLG 5.jpg

As the train sets off, the hook hauls the next wagon by its loop. The separation between the buffers is about the same as it would be with 3-link couplings.

CPLG 6.jpg

Below is an example of a widened coupling loop mounted horizontally on a bogie frame. The dropper can be seen projecting below the loop, but in this case the tail stop reaches down to bear on the underside of the bogie frame instead of being bent up behind the headstock.

CPLG 7.jpg

The final shot is a horizontal view of the same coupling loop.

CPLG 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Couplings”