Auto- Couplings , what choices - decisions

martin goodall

Re: Auto- Couplings , what choices - decisions

Postby martin goodall » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 am

Le Corbusier wrote:
Tony W wrote:..... even if I don’t encounter them myself (sorry, I’m not trying to sound smug but I was taught the coupling by the above named gentleman who had probably sorted most problems before most of us were even born)

Ever thought of demonstrating at Scaleforum ;) I for one would love to sit down and watch/have a go :thumb

The proof of the pudding is on an operating layout.

One of the limitations of a demonstration at Scaleforum is that you are showing the couplings on a short length of straight track, in near perfect conditions.

When demonstrating the 'Burford' coupling last weekend, I was well aware of this, and simply had to ask people to accept my explanation of how these couplings operate on curves, particularly when fitted to bogie vehicles. I will deal with these points in the write-up, but they are not capable of being demonstrated except on an exhibition layout. (The Burford Branch, as I have mentioned, is an entirely home-based layout, and is incapable of being transported to exhibitions.)

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:41 pm

You should have come over to the test track Martin! (I would have been interested to see them myself, but had little time away from it.)
Rod

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 pm

martin goodall wrote:The proof of the pudding is on an operating layout.

One of the limitations of a demonstration at Scaleforum is that you are showing the couplings on a short length of straight track, in near perfect conditions.

...... I was well aware of this, and simply had to ask people to accept my explanation of how these couplings operate on curves, particularly when fitted to bogie vehicles.

I assume that all the above would apply to Tony were he to demonstrate. My point was that if Tony feels that by constructing the AJ couplings in the right manner and setting them up in a certain way, then reliability is pretty much ensured .... it would be good to watch and understand how he does this. I suspect that there are many committed to AJ couplings and such a demonstration might therefore be much appreciated. :thumb

Still no idea what I might do myself but watching is always the best way to learn ;)
Tim Lee

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:36 pm

martin goodall wrote:
Le Corbusier wrote:
Tony W wrote:..... even if I don’t encounter them myself (sorry, I’m not trying to sound smug but I was taught the coupling by the above named gentleman who had probably sorted most problems before most of us were even born)

Ever thought of demonstrating at Scaleforum ;) I for one would love to sit down and watch/have a go :thumb

The proof of the pudding is on an operating layout.

When demonstrating the 'Burford' coupling last weekend, I was well aware of this, and simply had to ask people to accept my explanation of how these couplings operate on curves, particularly when fitted to bogie vehicles. I will deal with these points in the write-up, but they are not capable of being demonstrated except on an exhibition layout. (The Burford Branch, as I have mentioned, is an entirely home-based layout, and is incapable of being transported to exhibitions.)

Martin , in advance of the “ tome” , perhaps you might some simple build instructions here to enable us mortals to make a few test couplings

Dave

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:46 pm

junctionmad wrote: Martin , in advance of the “ tome” , perhaps you might some simple build instructions here to enable us mortals to make a few test couplings
Dave

I have actually made good progress on the updated instructions in the last few days, so you won't have to wait too long.

It would delay their completion if I were to break off and attempt to produce a 'quick start' version.

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

Le Corbusier wrote:
Ever thought of demonstrating at Scaleforum

The Scaleforum organisation team quite rightly thought that the show needed a break from my ugly mug at the demonstration table! :D

I agree totally with Martins comment that the proof of the pudding is on an operating layout. Under demonstration conditions near total reliability should be able to be achieved but on a layout it might be a very different matter. However this thread is entitled, “Auto-Couplings, what choices - decisions” and some of those reading this are seeking to find the best auto-coupling available. Hand on heart I can guarantee that the best coupling, without a shadow of doubt, is...........the one that works best for you. Martin could demonstrate the Burford coupling until he’s blue in the face but it would still not suit some people. I’ve had people come back to me at consecutive Scaleforums saying they were still having difficulty with AJ couplings. It’s a bit like painting - some people are only comfortable using enamels whilst others find acrylics much more to their liking. It really is a matter of personal choice.

Having said the above please don’t think that the setting up of any auto coupling is a black art, it’s not. It just takes a bit of care and attention. At the end of the day the AJ coupling is no more that a bit of bent 11 thou guitar wire. The effectiveness of it comes from knowing what to do with it and the accuracy with which it is applied. Le Corbusier said, “.......my point was that if Tony feels that by constructing the AJ couplings in the right manner and setting them up in a certain way, then reliability is pretty much ensured ....”. I think that reliability should be pretty much ensured but as stated above this really is up to the individual and for some the coupling simply may not suit them.......and no, I don’t think you can achieve total reliability with any coupling - even full size couplings can fail!! :D

Tony

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:59 am

Tony W wrote:The Scaleforum organisation team quite rightly thought that the show needed a break from my ugly mug at the demonstration table!

Ugly Mug .... nah .... rather smiley face - avatar and imoji interchangeability methinks :D
Tim Lee

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:51 am

Tony W wrote:
Le Corbusier wrote:
Ever thought of demonstrating at Scaleforum

Martin could demonstrate the Burford coupling until he’s blue in the face but it would still not suit some people. l!! :D

Tony

Absolutely right, Tony.

I am happy with the design of auto-coupling that I have now perfected, but every type of coupling has its limitations - for example, coupling bogie vehicles on sharp curves. The 'Burford' coupling is no exception in this regard, although I have done my best to address this particular issue. (It tends to be a problem, whichever couplings you are using. I even encountered it with three-link/screw-type couplings!)

The full instructions for the 'Burford' coupling are nearly ready to be published, but my commitments over the next few days will force me to break off from this now until next week, and so it will not be until the middle of next week at the earliest that I shall be in position to 'press the button' to post the instructions on this forum.

As I promised, I will start a new thread specifically for the 'Burford' coupling, which will enable a discussion on auto-couplings generally to continue on this present thread.

junctionmad

Postby junctionmad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 pm

While I agree auto couplings are a personal choice. Or more correctly , the layout chooses them. But I do think there are engineering benefits that mark one coupling over another. The fact that under optimum benign conditions most autocouplings work very well , but then so does everything

Dave

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 am

Dear Martin

Your demo at Scaleforum last week, and your explanation, was very impressive and has got me thinking. Is there any chance you might use your phone to take video of them in action on Burford? Apart from being of itself a lovely thing to watch, it would make their practicability and the aesthetics much clearer. It doesn't have to have the full Life On Earth production values - just a phone propped up on a book would be fine.

Regards,

Tony

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm

I could try, Tony, but I am technologically challenged when it comes to anything beyond the simplest digital photography(!)

I will give priority to getting the written instructions finished first.

With those notes (or as soon as possible afterwards) I will try to post some close-up photos of the hooks and loops.

Any video will have to come after that. To illustrate the couplings in operation, it might be best to show them in slow motion on the test track, before an action shot on the layout. In the latter case, you almost certainly won't see the actual operation of the coupling - you will just see the wagon being propelled to the point where it is to be left, and the train then moving away from it. The actual uncoupling operation is almost invisible (rather as it is when you see Alex Jackson couplings in operation).

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 pm

As promised, I have now produced full instructions for my 'Burford' auto-coupling.

These have been posted on a separate thread that I have started specifically for this coupling.

Meanwhile, no doubt the wider discussion of different types of coupling will continue on this thread.

Return to “Couplings”