Sprat and Winkle on locos

jon price

Sprat and Winkle on locos

Postby jon price » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 am

I'm thinking of attaching loops for Sprat and Winkle directly to loco chassis (will be using the lower attachment method). Apart from not wanting to use S&W, is there any reason not to do this?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Philip Hall

Re: Sprat and Winkle on locos

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am

I always attach a loop for S&W to the lower edge of the buffer beams. Either with small holes drilled in the edge of the beam (for RTR engines) or soldered to the back of the beam for others. I usually use 0.3mm wire and bend the ends over about 2-3mm to go in the holes or be soldered, and it is almost invisible once blackened.

Not sure what you mean by the lower attachment method - do you mean a lower height for the loop and hook rather than the centre line of the buffers? Attaching to the lower edge of the beam gives approximately the right height with a little bending.

I think that trying to attach the loop to the chassis is unnecessarily complicated as there is too much other stuff in the way. This way the loop is in there with the coupling hooks and links and all the pipes in one place.

Philip

steamraiser

Re: Sprat and Winkle on locos

Postby steamraiser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Something to be aware of is the hook on the adjacent wagon / coach could foul any pipe work hanging off the loco buffer beam.

Gordon A

Return to “Couplings”