Linc-up or Lin-cup coupling

Mario KESR

Linc-up or Lin-cup coupling

Postby Mario KESR » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 am

Hello. The linc-up coupling was the subject of an article in Model Railways magazine in 1978 ( I think that is the right date ). The author had developed the coupling using an L shaped piece of wire which was hinged behind the buffer beam. The wires would couple up when pushed together and be uncoupled by a magnet in the track bed. The author used this system for 2mm scale but he said his son had doubled the dimensions and used it for 4mm scale. Has anyone used this system and is it easier than the Alex Jackson coupling ?
I asked this question before and Nigel Cliffe answered with "I've just looked up the original 2mm article. Its simpler than the Alex Jackson and less reliant on precise alignment. But, the Lin-cup appears to lack the "propel whilst uncoupled" feature of the Alex Jackson, so the Lin-cup relies on having a magnet to open it directly where the wagon is to be left."

The lack of a delayed un-coupling feature is a disadvantage but an old internet site called "LisaP4" implied there was a way round this. At the time there was no explanation of how to do it and the site is no longer there. So has anyone used this system and is there a way to introduce delayed un-coupling to it?

Regards Mario.

Return to “Couplings”