Jigs for AJ Couplings

John Donnelly
Web Team

Jigs for AJ Couplings

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:35 pm

I wonder if someone could clarify which jigs I'd need for AJ couplings, the Stores page http://www.scalefour.org/eshop/ shows 3 different types of jigs.

Are the first 2:

http://www.scalefour.org/eshop/i?jpg=ajhookbendingjig

and

http://www.scalefour.org/eshop/i?jpg=aj180bendingjig

essentially 2 ways of getting the same results or should I be looking to get both sets?

John

shipbadger

Re: Jigs for AJ Couplings

Postby shipbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:39 am

John,

Both jigs are intended to allow you to check the angles of completed/nearly completed couplings. Actually for around thirty years (help, I'm starting to sound old!) I've just used a piece of plasticard with the drawings as found on the digest sheet written on it with a permanent felt tip pen. You just need one hole drilled to enable the wire to pass through for the 'end on' view. Now the fitting jigs are another matter and I wouldn't be without mine, although that was home made as well, but the design is the same as the Turner/Morgan Gilbert one.

Tony Comber

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:22 am

I've obviously been misusing them - but then, I have believed the instructions ... The second jig, as the name implies, helps you make the initial bend in the wire where it has to fold back on itself (180°). It is probably the one that gives the most help (along with a pair of parallel jaw pliers). The other, again as the name implies, helps with the other bends needed, although these are not as difficult as the first to achieve without the jig (main benefit I find is consistency, using the jig). You haven't mentioned what I consider the third essential component, the Mounting Jig. This really does replace my missing 3rd hand, and again delivers the kind of consistency which others (with their Superhero modelling skills) can probably achieve by eye (or telekinesis, or freezing breath, or (non-ferrous) magnetic attraction)!
David L-T

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 pm

There was an article in Scalefour News 147 and of course the AJ book from the stores.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:19 pm

The most comprehensive explanation of the use of these jigs can be found at:
http://www.mmrs.org.uk/technical/ajcoupling.htm

Tony

steve howe

Re: Jigs for AJ Couplings -mystery jig

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Some time ago I was given a box of bits and pieces belonging to a late chum, among them were various old jigs intended for AJs. The first is quite clearly an originally commercially made jig for forming the hook (by hand and eye) which also doubled as a height gauge when mounted in a brass frame.

jig1.jpg

The second is a bit of a mystery to me; a steel block with a round ended milled lug on one end with two holes. Is this a dropper jig? if so can anyone tell me how it is used? :?

jig2.jpg

jig3.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weskie

Postby Weskie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Steve.
It is a dropper jig used to make 'U' shaped droppers. A rod is inserted through the hole, then soft iron wire wrapped round to form a hook. then bent over the round end and back round the rod on the other side. the 2 holes being for different length 'U's.
And here's one i made earlier.
AJ dropper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Westcott

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks Andy,

I might give that a go, I'm really not sold on the sawn-off nail method.

Cheers

Steve

Tony W

Postby Tony W » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:25 am

Steve

The jig in your first photograph was designed by Martin Brent and allowed you to form the hook, check (some of) the angles and check the height of the coupling. It was really better at the latter two as forming the coupling against a relatively sharp point was not really conducive to accurate coupling production. I still have one in my collection but tend to use it only as a height gauge!

Two things to be careful of when using the inverted 'U' dropper. 1) Make sure the dropper cannot swing on the arm of the coupling as it may reduce the effectiveness of the electromagnet when uncoupling. 2) I hope you don't need to remove the wheels at any time because ....... :D

Tony

Return to “Couplings”