Holy Grail of all that is AJ

John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: Hinged Alex Jacksons

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

According to 'Down for Me?' MMRS.co.uk is down at present. Suggest trying later ...
David L-T

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

If I recall the article on hinged AJs is in Part 3, however not a lot said about coiled types and, as I said, both the images are the same! however I think it will be a while before I progress to the more esoteric variations :) :)

Steve

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm

I found Brian Self's article on making AJs in the 210 issue of Snooze and the 'back to basics' approach very useful, some sound advice to mull over from a seasoned practitioner. I was interested to see the underside view of one of his wagons shows the dropper to be forward of the axles rather than the perceived wisdom of setting them 1mm behind the axle. I am wondering if this is due to wheelbase dimensions or if it improves dropper performance?

Playing with my inglenook earlier which had just been set up on a temporary stand, a number of wagons which I know to be generally reliable were reluctant to uncouple on the magnet. Nothing seemed amiss, and trying several different locos produced the same result - despair sets in - then close observation showed the wagons were 'surging' when in the magnetic field, but failing to uncouple. A check with the spirit-level showed the layout to be off by some 20mm, enough over 4' to make a significant difference. The wagons were rolling downgrade against the hooks which were unable to disengage. Packing the layout up to level solved the problem - another lesson learned!

Steve

Return to “Couplings”