Couplings - to spring or . .

David B

Couplings - to spring or . .

Postby David B » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:47 pm

What are people's thoughts on springing couplings? I have in mind 3 link.

Most couplings I have seen and used have been fixed, yet there are 'coupling springs' sold and I have some springing bits from Exactoscale.

steamraiser

Re: Couplings - to spring or . .

Postby steamraiser » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:04 pm

IMHO if you are running long trains, say over 20 wagons then it is worth springing your couplings to reuce the snatch at the rear of the train when pulling away.

Gordon A
Bristol

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:34 pm

I have seen a very convincing demonstration of the virtues of springing coupling hooks on Trevor Pott's Churston a little while ago. He runs his stock buffer to buffer, properly close coupled when it should be, including engines to trains. Sprung buffers, coupling hooks and gangways all help and they all have a little bit of 'give' which when combined with heavy carriages looks very convincing and easily goes around a 42" radius curve.

I wouldn't usually spring the hook on a wagon unless as Gordon says the train is long.

Philip

Noel

Postby Noel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm

As Gordon knows, I, a good many years ago now, provided stock for a long goods train on Aberhafren. This usually amounted to 40-45 wagons, with three link couplings, fitted without springs, and with unsprung buffers. Admittedly these couplings were a bit overscale, as I use Smith's, which increased the gap between wagons a little. No problems arose from the use of these couplings so far as I know, even on a train that long. Three link couplings with springs have been around for a long time; I suspect that this originated in the days when people used three links on much sharper curves than we would accept in P4, and sprung buffers were not generally available.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm not convinced that springs on coupling add much value. Sprung buffers on the other had I would not do without these days.

Will

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I wouldn't bother using spring couplings. It's just more parts that can seize (out or in). In a thirty wagon train, I also wouldn't be concerned about snatch - that is a driver problem.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Couplings”