Wilkinson No2

jon price

Wilkinson No2

Postby jon price » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 pm

This loco has been built from an Agenoria Hunslet Jazzer. It is intended to be owned by the (fictional) Wilkinson's Chemical Works at Connah's Quay. There was a chemical works, but it had shut down in 1887. By 1906 it was R.Williams and Sons' timber yard, and by 1933 it had become Crumps' wagon repair site. I intended ordering a nameplate for Watkinson No2, an actual loco owned by Watkinson's and used at their Colliery, which occasionally brought wagons down to the Quay. Instead I accidentally specified Wilkinson (my partner's name) instead. So obviously rather than waste the plate I got her to pick a loco and livery. This is likely to be my first completed build. The body has been made up unmodified, but the chassis has been modified with a compensation beam suspension for the rear two axles. When I've sorted out the motor and gearbox we will see whether it runs! This is the progress so far.

PB100723.JPG

PA190313.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Le Corbusier

Re: Wilkinson No2

Postby Le Corbusier » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:40 pm

looking good Jon. :thumb

How did you get on in the end with the issues you had on the 'milking' to the paint surface?

Tim
Tim Lee

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:46 am

After staring at it for a long time (always a useful technique) I decided to try T-Cut. It worked fine, but I did have to reline the side. It coincided with a decision to change the colours from red/pale blue to red/amber. I'm happy with the "straight out of the paintshop" finish, so now I have to decide whether to put the handrails, a bit of pipework, and safety valve cover on before or after the weathering. I suspect it will be before as the weathering process decision making may take some time. The finish is a lot darker in normal light, but the photo is under the super-bright workshop lamp wth an automatic camera. I still have the backhead to finish and install, plus crew and cab roof.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:20 am

jon price wrote:After staring at it for a long time (always a useful technique) I decided to try T-Cut. It worked fine, but I did have to reline the side.

Thats fantastic .... I had visions of you having to strip the model. Did you do any further experimentation to find why it happened in the first place ... would be good to know.
Tim Lee

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 am

Well it wasn't anything to do with the red transfers, but I havnt used any more of the light blue, so couldn't say about them. It wasn't the right structure for anything on my fingers. Apart from paints and water the only other possible contaminant (only possible in the sense that it has been used on the workbench) is flux, or a midnight visit by the cat, but she has no record or form for licking trains.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 am

jon price wrote:but she has no record or form for licking trains. :shock: :shock:

I thought there was some suggestion that it might not have fully cured and so the water or carrier transfer might have affected the top layer? Interesting to see if the result could be replicated or if it was a freak .... and if it can, how long the paint should be left to avoid in future.

.... but then again you may well have better things to do with your time :D
Tim Lee

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I'd rather be a loco licker than a window licker! :D :shock:

I have a loco painted and varnished that has some super glue blooming. Do you think T cut is the answer there too or shall I repaint those bits?

Your loco is looking grand indeed, very juicy. Will be good to see it once complete.

Blue is the only colour for a really useful engine - everyone knows that....

I don't wear hats often so I can't retrieve it, I do don coats though.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. This may well be the only blue engine on the layout, unless Wilkinsons expand their fleet (there must at least have been a No1 at some time). The fleet will be mostly Indian red, with possibly two engines in black depending on which of the WMCQR engines I manage to build, and the colliery engine will be green.

I think superglue is quite hard, so T cut might be too subtle for it, but it wouldn't harm it to try.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Good to hear the t cut worked. The loco's looking good.

The fogging looked very like the trapped gas effect that can occur under masking tape if left too long. Was the loco ever left for some time on its side?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 pm

That is indeed a possibility. The loco was on its side as I worked on the lining. This sounds like the answer. Must avoid this in future.

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Slow but steady progress, handrails fitted, name and builders plates attached, cab interior finished and crew installed. Now the glass can go in (once I've worked out how it will be done) and the roof can go on. Was it worth making the water guages out of slivers of acrylic with wire handles and pipes? Probably not when you think about what you can see inside the cab. I'm not making the axles out of blu-tak,these are masking the bearings prior to painting

PB070370.JPG

PB070372.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Where do the crew come from and what period are they?

Looking good :thumb
Tim Lee

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

thanks Tim
The crew are Stadden Edwardian workmen. The bowler hat is probably the foreman, but I've seen plenty of bowler hatted drivers around this time, and since this is an industrial loco they are not in uniforms. You can see them full length in my "populating Connah' Quay post on my Workbench thread. They are the left hand figure and the guy in the bowler. The other figures are another workman in a cap, a 1/87 workman, and a 1/87 loco crew whose source I have forgotten

Return to “jon price”