Populating Connah's Quay

jon price

Populating Connah's Quay

Postby jon price » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Whilst waiting for inspiration to reappear on the construction front I thought I would do something completely inessential and paint some people. Dock and railway workers. Stadden figures, plus the one on the right from someone for whom I have lost the details. The lad isn't waving, he will be holding on to a horse's bridle when I actually have a ground surface to put them on. Basic painting technique. Paint the figures white, then use a diluted paint . That is it. Not sure whether to go for something more sophisticated. They probably look better at standard viewing distance than blown up on the screen.
P8280178.JPG

P8280179.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Armchair Modeller

Re: Populating Connah's Quay

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:33 pm

They look very characterful :thumb

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:56 am

Not 'inessential' at all. It's the miniature population (and all the 'odds & ends' of scenic detail) that brings any model to life. I think it is an excellent idea to have at least some of these ready as more basic construction proceeds - whether it is the Guard who is going to hang on to the veranda of a Van being built, passengers for a platform still to be installed, or the staff working an industrial sidings where there's currently no permanent way laid. Keeps inspiration going!
David L-T

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:52 am

Very nicely done, and I would not go for more detailed painting. They will be a nice 'part of a scene' rather than a central masterpiece around which a scene is set, if that makes sense. Bit like a backscene not needing to be detailed and overwhelming.

Philip

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Good looking figures which I now remember vaguely. I always go for static figures and group in 2 or 3's engaged in conversation, more realistic than figures that are in mid movement. I also agree with Philip re over detailed painting on figures and back scenes. Keep it as an impression.
:thumb
Rob

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Very nice characters Jon. Talking to Alan Buttler (Modelu) at Wells recently, he speaks highly of Vallejo paints for figures. Do you use the 'spray black and work towards light' technique? I find with dry brushing it gives very natural effects.

Steve

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm

The painting method is exactly the opposite of the one you describe Steve. I undercoat in white, then thin down the colours till they are not much more than a wash. Painted over the white they produce shading from dark, where the wash pools in and around the detail, to light on the plain areas. Each colour only needs a single coat if you get the density right. Yes I also use Vallejo. The colours are good, and they come in a small squeezy bottle which means you can put a drop of paint on a palette and nothing is wasted (in theory).
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm

I like the way each figure seems to have a character of its own ... very nice :thumb
Tim Lee

Return to “jon price”