WM&CQR No14

jon price

WM&CQR No14

Postby jon price » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:46 am

The problem with posting stuff on here is that everyone can see how slow you are. With that in mind here is the beginning of WM&CQR No 14. It is a Manning Wardle Type Q built in 1889 for a Manchester Ship Canal Contractor, and bought by the WM&CQR in 1895. This is my second attempt at a soldered brass loco. Starting point is the excellent CSP/Agenoria kit, with some minor adjustments, although extensive modification and replacement of the cab is needed, so we will see how well I manage that. Any way, yesterday I managed to knock the main bits of the boiler and tank together. The Boyd book on the line unnacountably fails to illustrate this loco, but a visit to the Clwyd Archive at Hawarden turned up a photo. The photo is copyright to Clwyd Archive, The photo of the CSP/Agenoria kit finished as produced by them is from their website.

no14 a.JPG

csploco kit.jpg

PA270709.JPG

PA270710.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Armchair Modeller

Re: WM&CQR No14

Postby Armchair Modeller » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:09 pm

jon price wrote:The problem with posting stuff on here is that everyone can see how slow you are.

The trick is to start so many projects that no one can remember them all ;)

Looks like a good start to an interesting project. RT Models do lots of MW bits from their kits that you might find useful.

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm

New cab area on No14 substantially complete. My first attempt at fabricating brass. This picture pre clean up so too much solder splodged around. Hunslet Jazzer in the background not strictly valid for this layout, but explanations will come later as they approach a more finished state.

PB150747.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 pm

jon price wrote:New cab area on No14 substantially complete. My first attempt at fabricating brass. This picture pre clean up so too much solder splodged around.

And a pretty good first attempt too. All looks square, and nowhere near as messy soldering as you make out.

You should be very pleased :-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

WM&CQR No14 aargh!

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:49 pm

So I knew No14 was a Manning Wardle Type Q (allegedly). I had no photos or plans but the Agenoria/CSP "Warwickshire" kit was a Manning Wardle Type Q. The kit is based on an extant loco and matches the photos. I bought the kit as the closest I would be able to get. When I located a photo of No14 it was clear that the bunker, cab and firebox were different (to be expected as No14 was built in 1889 whereas Warwickshire was built in 1926). So after modding the bodywork I began on the chassis.

I just assumed it was correct. Big mistake.

After cutting out the hornblock slots, and drilling the CSB fulcrum holes I placed a side against the body. It looked wrong, because it was. The wheelbase is drastically different. Using the photo to make a calculation it seems the rear axle should be about 5.5mm further back.

So I now need to cut out new hornblock slots, probably fill in the wrong slots, or maybe just plate them from the back, make a new CSB plot, and redrill the fulcrum holes.

RobM

Re: WM&CQR No14 aargh!

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:14 pm

jon price wrote:
So I now need to cut out new hornblock slots, probably fill in the wrong slots, or maybe just plate them from the back, make a new CSB plot, and redrill the fulcrum holes.

Jon
If it is only the one axle that is wrong I'd cut brass fillers for the slots, solder and finish with filler, thus keeping all flush. If the new slots encroach on the filled section then maybe start again....... :(
Rob

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:51 pm

thanks Rob. There is just enough distance not to overlap (1mm) so if I fill in the slot before cutting the new one I should be OK. I really don't fancy fabricating a chassis from scratch.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Working on the table suspended over christmass, but now, after extensive movement of household equipment I have a permanent workspace. Work restarted on the chassis and rods and today I made two injectors from scratch using wire, tube and washers as described in Ian Rice's Whitemetal Kits book. Although fiddly it seemed a lot easier than drilling tiny holes in tiny hard brass castings, which in any case weren't that correct for this loco. Experts may guffaw, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. I used Flymo's DAS assembly cradle tip, though it wasn't as easy as he suggested.
P2060012.JPG

jon price

Waltz progress on No14 and No9

Postby jon price » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:01 pm

Progress on WMCQ No14 and No9 (which doesn't have its own thread because it is not really that good) in Waltz time. (two steps forward and one step back)
No 14 body undercoated and pretty well ready for painting sitting on the chassis (which has High Level hornblocks and CSBs and which awaits new con rods before hornblocks are soldered in place, after a filing disaster). Just noticed that the body is facing one way, the chassis another as the rear axle which needed moving is clearly at the front. This is not a build error, just a photographic one!

P3020069.JPG

Return to “jon price”