Buckley Wagons

jon price

Buckley Wagons

Postby jon price » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks to discussion elsewhere on this forum, and as a result of John Bateson's freely offered and excellent assistance I am now looking at a shiny etch with my name on it from PPD ( http://www.ppdltd.com ). These are lifting rings, with and without strapping, for the trader boxes which sit on the Buckley Merchants' trader wagons. Soon they will start to be applied to the models, some new, some replacing my previous botched solution of links cut from fine chain. I can't help seeing this as a major rite of transition, yet I still think, on viewing the work of modellers of longer standing, that I have still so far only reached the 1=0 grade of the Independant Order of Finescale Modellers (though clearly a step above 00 grade). Much work yet to be done with brake gear (the wagons have a 7'6" wheelbase), transfers, and couplers (most likely to be Dingham), but for now I'll just have a quick gloat over a shiny sheet of brass.
P2240062.JPG

P2240063.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Buckley Wagons

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:15 pm

jon price wrote:Much work yet to be done with brake gear (the wagons have a 7'6" wheelbase), transfers, and couplers (most likely to be Dingham), but for now I'll just have a quick gloat over a shiny sheet of brass.

It is rather lovely when something from the etchers turns up in the post!

They look very neat, and just the thing for your wagons. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of some of them.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

Buckley Wagons: getting there

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Forwards In All Directions!
Wagons from the Buckley Branch in various states of completion. Construction follows a random process so of the nine wagons so far some have springs and axleboxes, some don't, and none has brakegear as this is at the "gazing into space trying to work out how to address this" stage. The first photo shows wagons on their way down to Connah's Quay with loaded boxes. One of the sets of boxes has been upgraded with the new etched lifting loops, the other hasn't. The second photo shows wagons on their way back up to Buckley after the bricks have been loaded into a coastal schooner. These empties are fitted with the etched loops, but the next batch will get the loop and integral strapping. The trader wagons, and the boxes, are made from plasticard with added metal buffers. The brake van is the closest I can get to the only known photo of a WM&CQR brake van. It is a modified Dragon TVR van kit. The first wagons were fitted with a variety of compensation devices, but I've now settled on Bill Bedford springing and this has also replaced the compensation units on the brake van.

P4250187.JPG
P4250189.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Comparing your wagons with plate 103 of The Wrexham, Mold & Connah's Quay Railway, the plate shows removable side baulks above the side rail. The baulks are shaped over the ends of the transverse rails for the boxes and pinned through to the side rails.
Regards
Noel

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Rather nice to see some local history in the model. This was from a time when there were nearly 200 chimneys on the Buckley skyline and Buckley bricks were exported around the world.

John
Last edited by John Bateson on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

essdee

Postby essdee » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Delightfully different, Jon. Lovely work - now, how many hours work in each of those wagons I wonder?!

Keep 'em coming...

Best wishes,

Steve

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:01 pm

They have great character Jon, nice work.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks for your kind words. The wagons aren't too difficult to make, once I had got the dimensions sorted. To an extent you can use batch production methods with plasticard as it is almost as easy to cut out the pieces for several wagons together as it is for one. The boxes that go on the wagons are a bit of a faff, as I need twelve per wagon, six for empty and six for full. I have more wagons than duplicate loads at the moment, and they would never have run without a full load of boxes. The published sources talk about them as if there was one type, but it is clear from the photos (well sort of clear) that there were different varieties. I will add in the baulks, maybe not on all of them. In addition Astons appear to have had a longer variant with eight boxes, and their short wagons had taller ends, and they had branded boxes. Some had dumb buffers at one end with self contained buffers at the other, but some had self contained buffers at both ends, obviously different stages of converting the original dumb buffered wagons. Most sources appear clear that the wagons were painted red, but the WM&CQR built their own versions, and I wonder if these were painted dark grey like the rest of the WM&CQR wagons. This would make for an interestingly variegated rake so I'm considering that option. Once I have a few wagons complete I will start on the trackwork, and when that is in place the locos come next. I had one nearly finished, but realised my measurements were out so it was dismantled.

Return to “jon price”