Connah's Quay terminus and main office building

jon price

Connah's Quay terminus and main office building

Postby jon price » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Never one to do things one at a time I set about the first building on my Connah's Quay layout. At the end of the old quay was the terminus and office buildings for the Buckley Railway. With very few photos of any description I produced a reasonable (and reasoned) plan. This might sound ambitious for a first scratchbuild project, but in fact the building was tiny. I used greyboard for the shell, with Slaters plasticard brick sheets, Scalescenes printout slates, gutters from plastic straws, downspouts from plastic rod, York Modelmaking doors, S&D chimneypots, and Geoff Taylor window frames with celluloid glazing. The doors were modified with panel inserts to reduce the depth of the panels, and added doorknob from a pinhead. There is no pavement round the building, what you see is just an indication od the height that the finished ground surface will reach. At the opposite short end to the door the building sits on the quay wall and so when finished the stonework will cover the base of the wall. I just realised on looking at the photos that I havn't added the mortar flashing round the base of the chimney.
P9130324.JPG
P9130322.JPG
P9130319.JPG
P9130321.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Connah's Quay terminus and main office building

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:11 pm

jon price wrote:Never one to do things one at a time I set about the first building on my Connah's Quay layout. At the end of the old quay was the terminus and office buildings for the Buckley Railway.

That looks rather lovely :-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Jon,

Nice model.

You will find the Ridge Tiles sit on a mortar mix. The Chimney to Roof Tiles/Slates, to allow for movement, would be sealed from rolls of lead sheet. Tesco's 'Pure' milk containers have a good metal foil gasket which may be ideal. Humbrol No1 & a touch of silver mix - add black / white to vary, or make a final wash.

What I find interesting from your model. Is given strong UV light, how Slate can possess a varying blue hue, as depicted in your pic's.
On a cloudy day - its just - grey !

Steve.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:56 am

thanks Flymo and Steve. I was going to put on lead flashing, but the photos of the inn across the road (which will be modelled) shows very clear mortar flashing. It is an older building, so the question is when lead flashing came into general use. Do you know? The only other Buckley Railway building for which a photo exists is the equally minimal station building at Buckley, but the photos are not clear enough to see the flashing in detail.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:14 pm

beachboy wrote:What I find interesting from your model. Is given strong UV light, how Slate can possess a varying blue hue, as depicted in your pic's.
On a cloudy day - its just - grey !

The colour of slate can very considerably depending on its source. I have some pieces of slate waste picked up in Snowdonia a few years ago: in today's overcast and wet conditions that from Cwm Croesor is a darkish grey, but the others, from locations above Bryngwyn, are either purple or darkish green. Geologically, the Cwm Croesor slate is Ordovician, the others Cambrian; slate from other areas may be Silurian in origin.

Noel
Regards
Noel

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:14 pm

The colour of slate can very considerably depending on its source. I have some pieces of slate waste picked up in Snowdonia a few years ago: in today's overcast and wet conditions that from Cwm Croesor is a darkish grey, but the others, from locations above Bryngwyn, are either purple or darkish green. Geologically, the Cwm Croesor slate is Ordovician, the others Cambrian; slate from other areas may be Silurian in origin.
[/quote]

Having spent a very pleasant week in August poking around the industrial and mediaeval archaeology of North Wales, I can confirm this!

Indeed, I think that it was in Blaenau Ffestiniog that they have a memorial to all of the different slate mines in Wales, a piece of slate from each engraved with its name. The variety is astonishing.

I'll see if I can find a link...
Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Flymo748 wrote:I'll see if I can find a link...
Cheers
Flymo

It took some doing - even though I knew what I was looking for! Fortunately I have a reasonable length commute on the train home...

It's called "River of Slate" and hopefully this is a picture of it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/10787663116/

It really is wonderful to see, with the most amazing colours in the stone. Oh, and it's only a couple of hundred yards from the steam railway ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:05 am

My solution for "lead" flashing is to use kitchen foil which is then painted as needed. It is a bit fragile but can be used with care and has the advantage that it can be gently moulded over the tiles or slates as would happen on the real thing.

Terry Bendall

jasp

Postby jasp » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:25 am

Small xray films used by dentists, who do not have digital imaging, have a very thin lead foil which is significantly more robust than kitchen foil.
Unfortunately, where I work and all of my contacts use digital so I have no further access to the lead foil but ask your own dentist - a few bits would go a long way
Jim P

beachboy

Postby beachboy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

Jon,

If it helps, I generally apply as a rough guide :-

Old small cast tiled roofs, that tend to sag under the weight, over rotting timbers etc. were finished off with a thick mix of pug for the ridge & roof tiles.
Which from my experience crumbles in time, & need replacing ( often as part of the whole roof ). They still exist though.

I believe, lead was the choice for use with slates around chimneys, down flows between, and the joining of pitched roofs. Slate, being flat & non porous is not suitable for the pug to key onto. No Uni-bond then.
Used in Georgian architecture.
Lead also seen on bay fronts on shops etc., Out Houses etc. Edwardian era Railway new buildings.
Tied into the Chimney brick pointing. or rendering.
There are often views of building roofs in the Edwardian era showing both methods existing.
Of course there is always the dodgy repair etc. How that is encompassed under any given Building Regs. May not be part of
the average modelling concern.

I mentioned the foil, same as used on some wine bottles, or sealing very ( Industrial size ) Coffee tins ( like old wooden Ammo boxes ). As it behaves and can be used in the same way lead can be shaped. Just rough it with sandpaper for the primer/paint to key onto.

Paul & Noels comments on slate colour is interesting. I am curious as to what is in the slate that reacts to light.
There is a slate roofed house near me that changes its colour hue. Depending on the Suns intensity. Others just stay grey.

Steve.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:24 pm

"Small xray films used by dentists" Jim, would a layout using these glow in the dark?
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:My solution for "lead" flashing is to use kitchen foil which is then painted as needed. It is a bit fragile but can be used with care and has the advantage that it can be gently moulded over the tiles or slates as would happen on the real thing.

I'm not convinced that in this is a case using a prototipically textured material like real foil (lead or aluminium) produces any better result than paper, which is easier to trim to the right shape, will mould to shape as required and takes paint well.

While using a mortar based flashing round the base of a chimney certainly did happen, it wasn't what you would call a proper job as it is inclined to crack, but, if cheap and cheerful seems appropriate on your prototype...

Return to “jon price”