LNWR Bissel Tank

jon price

LNWR Bissel Tank

Postby jon price » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Whilst waiting for some bits to arrive I've continued with the upgrade on the Bissel Tank. Doing the brake rigging (as far as the pull rods, which can only go one once I have a running chassis). First time for a whole series of delicate soldering ops: multipart brake blocks; soldering wire to a brake block without the brake block desoldering etc. So at the moment the brakes are swinging freely, to be soldered into position once the wheels are on and working. It isnt too pretty at the moment as I have had to scrape off the paint to solder in the new components, including brackets for pickups.

P3200994.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: LNWR Bissel Tank

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 pm

jon price wrote: So at the moment the brakes are swinging freely, to be soldered into position once the wheels are on and working. It isnt too pretty at the moment as I have had to scrape off the paint to solder in the new components, including brackets for pickups.

P3200994.JPG

Nice progress that you're making Jon. You're coming on in leaps and bounds. That Missenden weekend seems to have really lifted you.

The Buckjumper chassis that I was working on whilst I was there is about to go into the same state as yours. In other words, a filthy black that will need scraping off whenever there need to be soldering... This is it with the hornguides and bearings all masked off.

Buckjumper chassis mask.JPG

From this, it's gone into the spray booth and had a good blast of black. It's the first time that I've used Games Workshop Chaos Black. It's sprayed out of a rattle can, and apparently goes on very well with no need for primer. I've warmed the can up before use, given it a good shake and blasted away.

I'll leave the chassis overnight in a warm place before examining it closely tomorrow to see how well I have done.

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

Re: LNWR Bissel Tank

Postby jon price » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks Flymo. Yes I'm really energised by Missenden. The difference between my chassis and yours is of course that yours is a split chassis with csb springing, whereas mine is a rigid chassis, but eventually I'll make the leap to sensible split chassis. I think I prefer the Comet style individually sprung hornblocks though.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Return to “jon price”