Johnson 1F

jon price

Johnson 1F

Postby jon price » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:15 am

Well. After a few years playing about with glue, and carefree solder melting with a blow-torch I decided to learn how to really do it, so I went to the Missenden Spring Weekend. It was absolutely excellent. I went from knowing nothing to building what passes for a reasonable attempt.

I started on the Craftsman Johnson 1F 0-6-0 open cab. It is square, and solid.The front buffer doesnt look square in the photo but this is just lens distortion. The kit is as supplied, with the addition of spectacle frames on the cab front, but I will be modifying the cab detail, and replacing some of the whitemetal boiler fittings with brass castings and turnings, and replacing the whitemetal buffers with sprung ones.

Arriving at this point in the construction is largely due to perseverence (the attitude, not the brand) and the extremely supportive assistance of other attendees. In particular, from the Scalefour community Paul Willis and Mark Tatlow provided advice, criticism, and spare equipment, and the all important holding, scrubbing and scraping things, and Allan Edgar provided some advice, a product sample and a good example.

I started with flat bits of etch on Friday night, and reached this point by late on Sunday afternoon. I can absolutely recommend Missenden to anyone who is, like I was, lacking in experience or confidence. Plus it is good fun, the beer is excellent, and the accommodation and food is of high quality. So since I've started making real models I thought I should start a Workbench thread to provide amusement and a warning to others of how not to do it. [attachment=0]P3110963.JPG[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jon price on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

John Fitton

Re: Jon Price

Postby John Fitton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:25 am

Looks excellent Jon! Well done.

JF

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Johnson 1F

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Jon,

It's great to see the progress that you've made. I didn't see the result of your weekend before you'd packed it away on Sunday. It looks really good.

It's amazing the difference that cleaning up after soldering makes. It shows the ability that you have to solder solidly and squarely.

I hope to see you at a future Missenden...
Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David B

Postby David B » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:02 pm

Jon,

Nice to meet you at Missenden and so pleased you got so much out of it. The loco is really coming along nicely, so please keep the momentum going.

I hope we will see you again at Missenden.

David

jon price

Postby jon price » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:56 pm

The superfluous and overlarge holes in the boiler, behind which I fixed plates, have now been filled with superfine Milliput, and once this is hard they will be rubbed down ready for the boiler fittings to be attached. The chassis provided in the kit makes up nicely solid and square, but it is designed for 00, and it doesnt exactly look like the actual chassis. So I've cut out some cosmetic frames from plasticard. A P4 chassis is 4mm wider than the 00, so I have a spacer, plus two layers which will simulate the firebox sitting behind the frames.

P3190965.JPG

But you didn't go to Missenden to learn how to cut plasticard I hear you cry. So I returned to two kits that I have had in bits for years, awaiting commitment and competence. And here they now are: both Alan Gibson, an LNWR 5'6" tank which has been tidied up

P3190967.JPG

and an LNWR Bissel tank which has been reassembled, and the splashers finally done properly. The wobbly handrail is a place holder until the painting stage, after which nickel silver wire will be put in as these handrails will be polished steel.

P3190968.JPG

In both cases soldering whitemetal to brass/nickel silver was succesfully achieved. More detail to be added next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

After an enforced delay whilst large bits of the house interior were rebuilt I have returned to the modelling. Today's comedy routine was the assembly and fitting of the footsteps. Experienced solderers will know that the trick is to work fast. Yes well. With two steps to be fastened at right angles to each of the four footstep support, and then those four supports soldered to the footplate there were twelve opportunities for desoldering the parts that had just been fixed on, and it could all just become a recursive loop. But in the end I had four step assemblies attached approximately in the correct position. For relaxation afterwards I unglued the tender of my DJH Claughton and reassembled it using solder, taking the opportunity to remedy the sides not being symetrical, which entailed rebending the corners. Easy in comparison and taking about the same time.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 pm

jon price wrote:After an enforced delay whilst large bits of the house interior were rebuilt I have returned to the modelling. ... But in the end I had four step assemblies attached approximately in the correct position. For relaxation afterwards I unglued the tender of my DJH Claughton and reassembled it using solder, taking the opportunity to remedy the sides not being symetrical, which entailed rebending the corners. Easy in comparison and taking about the same time.

Hi Jon,

That all looks very impressive. Nice and neat. Thinking back to how you were getting on when you arrived at Missenden, it's hard to believe that it was only a month ago or so...

Practice is indeed making perfect!.
Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “jon price”