A new prevarication

jon price

A new prevarication

Postby jon price » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 pm

One project obviously isn't enough. Need a break from thinking about 1906 Connah's Quay. So this is a preliminary sketch for a building on the other project. Maybe smaller, maybe more portable, and more modern. But inevitably just as ludicrously complicated. Still P4, which might make it unique. We will see how it goes on.
station.jpg

hughesp87

Re: A new prevarication

Postby hughesp87 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:06 pm

Jon,

Not sure if this is supposed to be a guessing game, but that looks rather suspiciously French to me. Am I on the right lines?

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Well it wasn't intended to be a guessing game, more to show how I (hopefully) progress the project from the first sketches, but here is the motive power so far, a 3F 0-6-0T, and an English Electric/Hawthorne Leslie 350hp diesel-electric, and yes the building is French.
P3200023.JPG

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 pm

Representatives of both classes went to the WD in 1939/40. Several of both spent most of WW2 in France and some of these never came back.
Noel

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm

You have the project spot on. Early June or late May 1940 near Rouen is the project. Newly laid flat bottom rail sidings and tank ramps. Station uses already completed turnouts which were never used. I'm drawing heavily on unit diaries and WD railway manual, plus some film and photos. I'm hoping that it will be straightforward as the other project is more complex than I thought (though coming on gradually).

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:21 am

Sounds an interesting project Jon. I look forward to seeing your progress.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am

Ah, there is the thing. I posted this because it might encourage me to make some progress. We shall see. I'm waiting for a the war diaries of 150 and 161 Railway Construction Companies to arrive and this should mean that issues of terrain, and building type can be resolved. The station building will be the same outline, but the finish/decoration will vary depending on which line. W.T.Aves' book on WD and the BEF is fine on locos, but a bit sketchy on some other detail. An example is his statement that these companies were at "Elbeuf St. Aubin on the South bank of the Seine south of Rouen". Elbeuf Ville is on the south bank of the Seine, opposite Saint Aubin les Elbeuf on the north bank of the Seine. Both have railways which come south from Rouen. He says "Elbeuf" is the location of No3 Base Area Heavy Repair Shop. Saint Aubin in the most likely candidate, but we shall see. British soldiers were notorious for modifying or misunderstanding local place names In France (I carried out archaeologicalo excavations on a WW1 site on the Somme at Auchonvillers, which the soldiers knew as Ocean Villas) and in any case this will be to an extent representational rather than specifically accurate as a lot of information simply isn't there.

jon price

Postby jon price » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:25 pm

War diaries have clarified some things, whilst opening up new areas of incomprehension. Some units appear to be excavating gravel to use as ballast on newly laid track. Thought I would try out ballasting a bit of track. Gravel was probably full of finer material but I havn't worked that out yet. Sleepers and track not accurate or painted.
P4120059.JPG

The ballast would be newly laid. These are some samples from the vicinity (I think).
fresh ballast.jpg
fresh ballast.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 701 times
older ballast.jpg
trach arques.jpg
trach arques.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 701 times

Return to “jon price”