Martin Finney 3232 class and Malcolm Mitchell 517

Craig Warton

Martin Finney 3232 class and Malcolm Mitchell 517

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:08 am

Like most of us, I have a few things "in progress", Some of them have been in progress for rather a long time, indeed too long. Then there is the un started pile to contend with. I have called a halt to purchasing and concentrated on getting things done - as I have mentioned elsewhere.

Only one outstanding order left, something I ordered and paid for 12 months ago. Keep getting told it will be sent soon... I guess it will eventually.

These two are ones that I started ages ago and just put aside when I started looking at other things.

The first is the Finney 3232. This is modelled after 3233 which was resident on the DNS in the mid 1920s. she was withdrawn in October 1925 so she was nearing the end of her life. She is fitted with a 2500 gallon tender, which has had a few rebuilds along the way. This took a bit of sorting out and I am grateful to Martin Finney for helping me out with finer details. Gaerbox is going to be a High Level and the motor is a Mashima.

The second loco is a Mitchell 517 and is in what is (to me) the classic 517 condition. Round top boiler, open cab and tall back bunker. I do dislike the Collet bunkers on these locos, totally destroys the proportions! This one will be modelled after the photo of 832 in locomotives illustrated many years ago. If the RCTS volume is correct she stayed in this condition until rebuilt at the end f 1925 and I am modelling 1923-1924. Probably a bit dubious on the DNS by this time, but I like the 517s and that is my excuse. Again, High level gear box and Mashima motor. Both have Ultrascale wheels.

Anyway, that is it at the moment. Hopefully, having them on here will shame me into finishing them!

Wagons are progressing, another update on them soon.

Regards,

Craigw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig Warton on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

DougN

Re: Martin Finney 3232 class and Malcolm Mitchell 517

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:51 am

Looking very nice there Craig. I glad there are other people out there that start a project then get way laid onto other things but eventually the kits get finished!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Doug, I have been quite a shocker for starting things and getting distracted/bored/procrastinating and it was only reaching the big 50 mark that made me wake up to the fact that you can only squander a certain amount of time. Last year in particular I was much more focussed and I still have the same drive. I actually have a further 5 wagons just about ready for painting, but I discovered I used the wrong side of a 9' RCH wagon brakegear on 2 of them and the brakes were wrong. So, rework time.
On the bright side, I am just about through my "in progress" wagons and then i need to get a few horse boxes and this pair finished.

Regards,

Craig

Postby 37431 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi Craig

Your 3232 and 517 are looking good so far, you just need to keep at it!

I think you speak for many of us about getting diverted to other things. Reaching milestone birthdays (I am a similar age to you) makes you take stock and realise there is only limited time for new projects and hence may focus the mind. But you have to keep things in balance and this is, after all a hobby and there are other life priorities that sometimes need more attention.....

I started building a Mitchell 517 some years ago but had issues with the pick ups so it has been consigned to the "too difficult" box for the time being. If I was starting on that again then I would have made it split frame / split axle, Like you, I have asked John James to build some engines for me and the standards he applies are definitely the way to go, The late (and great) Guy Williams seemed to be able to get wiper pick ups to work faultlessly but I'm afraid I have been unable make this system consistently work with the 517, Eventually will re-built it with a split frame / split axle pick up system. Tender locos are of course not a problem as I've used the American system to good effect. I'll post some photos of the 517 in due course, It was a lovely kit to build, my version is No 544 in similar condition to yours running in the late 1920s.

I have also been inspired by your various postings on wagon construction, my layout is based on a Tettenhall, a secondary GWR line that skirted around the Black Country (between Oxley and Kingswinford Jct) in the West Midlands. It was predominantly a freight line, so wagon building is a major occupation...... When there is sufficient progress to show, I hope to post some pictures of recent activity on the S4-forum.

All the best, Andrew Bannister

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:22 am

Your right Craig. Distractions do slow down getting things done. I am about 10 years younger so have a family who takes all my time. Don't ask about last weekend... saturday gone with shopping... which had to include finding dancing shoes for Ms DougN but none in her size... missed getting some things for work as the store had closed pushing things to Sunday morning... when the store was open but referred to another store but closed on sundays... there went 2 hours... the rest of the day went down hill... modelling appeared but things didn't work out...

Any how next weekend has some spare time... I hope.

I should take over the end of the dinner table again and get some things done! :twisted:
Doug

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Craig Warton wrote:I have been quite a shocker for starting things and getting distracted/bored/procrastinating

And so say all of us. That certainly applies to me (and probably to a large part of the rest of mankind!)

I am now at an age when I realise that time is not on my side, and so I am trying hard to speed up production, mainly by taking short cuts, compromising over standards and looking for the easiest and quickest way of doing things, even if the result falls well short of perfection. (Motto: "Good enough" IS good enough.) For example, I no longer bother to finish models on both sides, unless they are liable to get turned on the turntable. This was OK for Ray Earl, so it's good enough for me. Using re-gauged EM wheels without compensated suspension is all part of this philosophy.

When I wanted a 517 for the Burford Branch (the same configuration as Craig's - No.522 in my case), I paid Karl Crowther to build it for me. His struggles with the kit fully confirmed the correctness of my decision. Malcolm Mitchell produced a kit that makes into a very nice model, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

I am slowly assembling a a small fleet of rolling stock for the early 1920s, but in the meantime I am happy to use RTR conversions representing the BR era (c. 1957 - 1962) as an easy makeshift.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:37 pm

martin goodall wrote:I am now at an age when I realise that time is not on my side, and so I am trying hard to speed up production, mainly by taking short cuts, compromising over standards and looking for the easiest and quickest way of doing things, even if the result falls well short of perfection. (Motto: "Good enough" IS good enough.)

Well, I may be the forum baby at nearly 31 but I have almost the same view as you described there. I don't have good friends who are going to do any of my modelling for me, especially in P4 so literally everything has to be done solo. To that end certain compromises are the modelling friend. Getting things to various degrees of accuracy and perfection are chosen upon personal feel more than anything, so some things I'll put a lot of effort, time and energy into and in and other things I'll nock up something that to me is not brilliant but good enough.

Great for those who build layouts as a team but for me, nope. I can't see that happening with what I have planned and am working towards.
-

Re the brass loco's above. Looking really good so far. I always find this stage to be exciting when the kit starts to look like the model and isn't a blank canvas anymore.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm

DougN wrote:... there are other people out there that start a project then get way laid onto other things ....

*hollow laughter*
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Horsetan wrote:
DougN wrote:... there are other people out there that start a project then get way laid onto other things ....

*hollow laughter*

I have a self imposed rule I rarely break:

No more than 2 modelling desk projects on the go at a time. Layout building exempt.

Usually it ensures I complete things.

Kit maturing cabinet is still full though. ;)
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:35 am

Well Knuckles, as Horsetan knows me quite well. My day job is managing construction projects (usually 2 but there has been know up to 4) These are large apartment blocks, schools, hospitals etc usually up to about 10Mil (but this year it might increase :shock: ) . So my time off I really don't want to have a schedule running as it would become a day job. Do what I like when I like!

I don't list the modelling things I have underway as I would need to lists one for maintenance and one for new builds! I have a maturing draw and a cardboard box! I certainly don't need more to do but I know there will be! Then again I do have a OO layout to plonk and play... though last week end every thing went wrong, So more maintenance and repairs are required. I go through stages of kit building then nothing... but I expect the Mrs DougN will be saying to get on with it again as I need the relaxation at the moment!

Any how this is getting off the track of Craigs builds.... is there any more news?
Doug

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:00 am

News? Not so far Doug. I have spent this week working on wagons (yes again!). This is not some form of sadism, strictly that I am trying to be logical and finish things off beore I start something new. After the wagons will be the horse boxes and this two.

I look forward to seeing a few other items from other people too! After a lot of thinking about electronic communication, I have decided that I like the workbench approach on here. Andrew, I do look forward to seeing your 517, the one that was built for martin is just gorgeous. The comments you make about the 517 are very true Martin. I do not think it is hard, but it is complex and the clearances are very tight in some areas. You have to make certain of the version you want and take great care to use the right parts too. The instructions are wordy, but there were a few areas that had me stumped for a while - the fitting of the brake cylinder got me.

Any rambling is quite fine by me Doug and the others - it at least means people are looking at things. I put this thread up because it gives me a record of what they are like at the moment and also motivates me to get going with things.

There will be an update on wagons next week hopefully. If all goes well I will fire the iwatta up this weekend and that will be fourteen wagons finished. Getting very close to that twenty and then take a brake and onto other half done things.

What has been interesting is the number of us that have too many half done things :D

Regards to all and thankyou everyone for the comments.

Craig W

SHurst

Postby SHurst » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 am

I have a self imposed rule I rarely break:

Didn't Shaw say the there was only one Gloden Rule - there are no Golden Rules ? ;)
Nice models Criag. :thumb

Simon

Postby 37431 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Craig

Here are 2 views of my 517 - No 544 as running in the late 1920s. The body work finished and in grey primer, with chassis awaiting a rebuild to split frame / split axle and replacement of the originally installed Portescp 1219 motor with a Mashima and High Level gearbox. This was my first high definition kit and was very enjoyable to build. The fit of the parts was very precise but the main difficulty I encountered was working out which parts were needed for the particular variation I was building.

All the best

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Andrew, that is very nice indeed. That configuration and the open cab one I have modelled are (to me) the classic 517. I think the Collet bunker looks ungainly on them. I have a second 517 kit and that will be in the same style as yours. As you noted, the kit does go together very well. I have had no serious issues to date but sorting out exactly what parts go with what variation is quite a mind altering experience!

Simon, I agree that rules are made to be broken. I look at my pile of unstarted loco kits, then I pick up a David geen coach kit or another horse box kit or.. then I harden my resolve and say "finish what you have started"! So far it has worked.

My intention is to stick with this plan and as we all know, there is nothing quite like a good intention.

Craig W

Craig Warton

Re: Martin Finney 3232 class and Malcolm Mitchell 517, now with Dean Goods supplement.

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:35 am

I pulled out my Dean Goods yesterday for a bit of a look. The loco was built for me by John James several years ago and spends most of its time in the box. I had wanted to do a couple of things to it for a while and decided that i should make a start. I do not really have a concern about doing this and it helps make it my loco. It sounds funny perhaps, but I have a bulldog, 1854 and dean from John and I do not really have any emotional connection with them. sort of like expensive RTR perhaps! The Dean is numbered 2486 and was based on a photograph of said loco at Old Oak around 1921. This photo is in GWRJ number 13 and is a gorgeous side view. What attracted me to this loco is the fact it was a photo within my period of interest and it has that wonderful "clean but dirty" finish which is such a feature of locos in the 1920s.
The first thing I did was replace the number plates which were built up from a Finney set. I commissioned a set of custom plates from 247 and the turn around was surprisingly good. I say that because I have found his service a bit hit and miss and he can be a bit frustrating to deal with (if you cannot get to a show he is at)
I have now started weathering the running gear, with a build up of Metalcote Gunmetal, leather and orange stippled around the firebox and brake gear with gunmetal on the wheels that I lightly polished. The rods and wheel centres ave been stippled with some gloss varnish to simulate oil. The tender sides, cab sides and boiler have had a going over with cut and polish which has given the paint a depth that it was perviously lacking. I also found two of those wretched fibreglass brush bristles which resulted in a spot of paint touch up. I still have to do the other side, play with the airbrush, fit a cab tarp and paint a crew (Andrew Stadden) but I am happy with the progress so far.

Regards,

Craig W
Last edited by Craig Warton on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 am

Craig it looks like the weekend has been productive.

I have never had a locomotive built for me as I usually build them myself. I did manage to do some modelling which I might put onto a new topic. The Martin finney 4200gal tender for the V2 is comming along quite nicely.
Last edited by DougN on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:57 am

Doug, go for it and post it. I promise to look!

Regards,

Craig

Return to “Craig Warton”