wagon building progress.

Craig Warton

wagon building progress.

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:10 am

Like a good number of folk I am easily distracted. Things were getting to the point that I was getting mighty peeved with the number of things that were "in progress" and decided that it was about time to knuckle down and actually finish things. I realised that I had a good number of wagon kits that were started, so they seemed a good place to start at. Rather than trying to build in batches to "simplify" painting, I have found that (for me) things work better in ones or twos. It might be something to do with the Lean manufacturing I play with in real life!

The first photo shows a few wagons that only need a little touching up the be called complete. Yes, I am in a state of shock to say that. Two are Coopercraft, one is a 07 7 plank wagon fitted with BB W-irons and masokits brake gear. The wagon is finished in the pre 1920 GWR wagon livery and carrying a load of sawn timber which is tarped. I am not at all certain of the relevance of the smiths Tarp to mid 1924 (my chosen modelling period) but I am not going to revisit this one. The next one will be better. The van is a V5, fitted with a Morgan Design DC1 underframe. Again, in pre 1920 livery. I do like the Morgan design underframes, they go together very nicely once you get your head around the rather wordy instructions. The final wagon is a bog standard Powsides wagon. I am interested in the D.N &S and G. Bryer Ash was a merchant who traded on the line and he did at one time purchase from the Forest of Dean Collieries. I used this as my excuse to indulge in a few different colliery wagons. Speech House wagons look lovely, but you can imagine my disgust to find out that they ceased trading before WW1!

The next 3 wagons are "in progress". The first two are Parkside GWR vans. The first is a V12 vacuum fitted with rebuilt ends whilst the second is a V16 with handbrake only. Both are Morgan underframes. The body is a very nice moulding indeed. I love the variations in brakegear and other detail bits. It keeps me distracted for hours. The final wagon is a David Geen loco coal wagon, yet again with Morgan underframe.

The final photo is another 3, also in progress. The first is a Powsides PO wagon. G Bryer Ash no less, with BB w-irons and brake gear from a variety of sources. This is currently being numbered to a suitably random number as the number on the kit was a 1923 RCH design wagon where as the kit certainly is not. The second is another PO wagon and again Forest of Dean! The final one is another Parkside van. This is a vacuum fitted V14 with the original style ends and the original type of rain strips.

Well, that is about it at the moment.. but I am working on things regularly now, not starting anything else and sticking it through!

completed.jpg

nearly done 2.jpg

nearly done.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Craig Warton on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noel

Re: wagon building progress.

Postby Noel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 am

Craig, I am not seeing your third photograph. Is it not in the post, or do I have a problem somewhere?

Noel
Regards
Noel

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 am

Noel,

It should be there now. For some reason I could not upload the third photo... grrr!

Regards,

Craig

BRUNEL

Postby BRUNEL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Craig,

These are lovely models. Keep up the good work! You've probably got loads of other kits stashed away - just like the rest of us!!

Brunel.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:08 am

Thanks for the kind words Brunel. i have just hit the 50 milestone and the last 12 months or so had me realising that time waits for no man! Not in a morbid sort of way, just in the way that I decided I had to actually finish a few things rather than jump from thing to thing like a butterfly as I have been very guilty of in the past. It is very nice to actually finish a few wagons off and have some more that are not all that far off completion.

I had a few locos built for me by John James - a Dean Goods, curved frame Bulldog and an 1854 Pannier so I have enough to keep occupied with now.

Currently painting interiors of the PO wagons, so a batch of them will be fully finished over the next few days and photos will follow.

A lot of kits? In my case that is somewhat of an understatement. suffice to say that I have enough to keep occupied for a long, long, long time.

Regards,

Craig W

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:32 am

After many disruptions I have finally started to get back into the swing of things.

A few more wagons are ready for painting and if I keep going like this I will actually have a train for my Dean Goods to haul!

These three are from the excellent Parkside- Dundas kit. The first two are both vacuum fitted V12 with offset V hangers, whilst the third one is a handbrake only V16. All are fitted with Morgan design under frames and the buffers are very nice castings from Lanarkshire models and supplies. I know they really should be sprung (shouldn't they?) but I cant really be bothered at the moment. The couplings are Exactoscale with Instanter links from Smiths. I actually started making my own as the earlier GWR ones are not actually a flat profile but I had difficulty getting a consistent shape and gave up in the end. They need weighting and then painting. I am modelling mid 1923 for no particular reason other than it is a bit different nowadays so they will be in a mix of liveries. I have commissioned some "ventilated Van" transfers rather than the later "ventilated" and also the earlier type of NCU plate buy will use what I can at the moment. I arranged these 12 months ago and they are still in progress.

V12-v16.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:46 am

I tried uploading this before and the whole message vanished into the ether. There were many swear words!

The second photo shows the V16 van and also a N6 coal wagon from the David Geen kit. This also uses a Morgan Design underframe, although I am not sure about the lever guard. It does not match photos of the lever guards on earlier stock that I can find. I had some etched a few years ago by PH designs however they are not fun to shape and soldering the ratchet in is a very interesting exercise indeed. So, I used the Morgan one this time around!

Again, needs weighting and then ready for painting.
v16-N6.jpg

The final photo is a further three wagons - a Geen three plank as well as two Coopercraft 4 plank wagons. I know there is much moaning about the availability of these kits, but when I only use the sides and ends of them I have to wonder if they are worth mourning.

Thats it for the moment, I shall get the finished ones painted, get cracking with these three and start some more. Provided my will power holds that is.

opens.jpg

Regards,

Craig w

iak

Postby iak » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:58 am

VERY TASTY! :thumb
Stick with it Craig, its worth it if these pictures mean 'owt.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:09 am

Time for an update on things me thinks.

The last few weeks have been rather painful, with my Father-in-law (who lives with us along with M-I-L) being seriously ill. Thus it has been rather hard to coincide motivation and time. Despite that, I finally finished off the 3 vans enough that I could put a coat of paint on them.Vallejo panzer grey, with a bit of white being used. The roofs are painted in Lifecolour roof grime. The one side that had had transfers applied uses Fox Transfers which are a delight to use. Livery on this one will be the 16" lettering introduced c1920 (I have seen dates from 1919-1922, when was i introduced?) I only had Methfix non common user transfers and they and Vallejo do not like each other, so a bit of black paint and some white dotting will suffice - especially after a bit of road grime.

That is about it really, now to finish the transfers and complete the weathering. 3 more nearly done.

Regards,

Craig W

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:12 pm

From the Vallejo Model Air range I use an equal mix of USAF dark grey and "NATO" black to make GWR grey. It comes out slightly darker than your Panzer grey; maybe I'll switch to your recipe.

Fox are certainly excellent transfers, but their GWR sheets have an awkward mix of legends. You're short of the common-user markings and I'm short of the "To Carry" marking for the earlier livery. And I have some 16" GW letters that I shan't ever use. Somewhere (can't find it at the mo), I've think I've got an supplementary sheet from Fox. If that has common-user markings on it do you want them?

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 am

Guy Rixon wrote:From the Vallejo Model Air range I use an equal mix of USAF dark grey and "NATO" black to make GWR grey. It comes out slightly darker than your Panzer grey; maybe I'll switch to your recipe.

Fox are certainly excellent transfers, but their GWR sheets have an awkward mix of legends. You're short of the common-user markings and I'm short of the "To Carry" marking for the earlier livery. And I have some 16" GW letters that I shan't ever use. Somewhere (can't find it at the mo), I've think I've got an supplementary sheet from Fox. If that has common-user markings on it do you want them?

I had a quick look this morning and I could not see an NCU transfer on the Fox sheet - which is a little frustrating. The ones on the HMRS sheets are the second type but nobody does a transfer of the first type at all. I provided info and paid a deposit to POWSIDES about 18 months ago now, sent an email about 6 months ago as a reminder ("oh I forgot") and am still waiting. Vallejo and Methfix do not mix, so I took the lazy way out. I have ordered a few sets of Pressfix from Peters Spares which I should have soon.... but only the second type(!) which came in around 1922-1923. I am modelling mid 1923 so I need the earlier one too. I use a mix of the 25 and 16" lettering though I suspect I need more of the 25" than the smaller stuff.

Regards,

Craig

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:00 am

The last couple of weeks have been interesting in an annoying sort of way. We have had a few rather warm days of late (45 degrees anyone?) which have not been at all helpful in motivating me to retire to the workbench. Add to that, I then decided to get a dose of something that knocked me out for a few days.

As I felt a little better yesterday, I started to do more transfer application on my three vans. Sometimes things go good and other ties they do not. I had one of the latter days yesterday with the "ventilated" marking which is applied to the four sides of the vans not fitting the parkside kit properly - too long for the panel. So, I had to cut the wording up and removed the I to make it fit. It is not obvious, though I do not like doing things like that. I received some Pressfix transfers earlier in the week from Peters spares so I now have the second type of NCU plate and will use that.

I was not inclined to do transfers today, so I pulled out something I made a very cursory start on a while back. The animal in question is a Southwark Bridge Models GWR P7 Ballast hopper. I have another 4 to do after this one...

How is it going? Challenging is the word I shall use. There is nothing wrong with the kit, it goes together very well indeed but it is very time consuming to construct. Because of the size of the hopper and the emphasis on fidelity there are areas - such as the W-Irons, that are positioned by witness marks. I spent an age getting this right and then had the delightful game of getting the right depth of bearings to use. The ones supplied splayed the irons hopelessly and I wound up using Markits bearings which seem to be deeper than most other makes. There is no way I could think of to do anything else. Anyway, at the end of the day I have it up to a rolling chassis stage. This is not yet available from Roxey so I am glad I indulged when I did. I also have four Toads to build as well.

That is about it for the moment, more to follow.

Craig W

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 am

Time for a small update on my meandering path.

The end of the year at work and the usual doses of reality interfered with things (as they do) but I have had some good modelling time the last few days and motivation has coincided as well.

The attached photo is of two of the vans shown above in a partly painted state.

Both are V12 vacuum fitted with one in the pre 1922 livery and one in the post 22 finish. I have noticed a bit of variation in the date the 16' lettering came in. Some say as early as 1919 but the Tourret tome says "around the grouping" so i will believe that as it means more in the older scheme for me - which I prefer.

Weathering is a mixture of Valejo Panzer Grey, dirt and leather as well as Wilder dark rainmark wash and a few applications of some Wilder powders.

I have made further progress on the SBM ballast hopper but I will photograph that when it looks a bit more complete. A final V16 is to follow (doing transfers) and then I will be back onto the 3 plank wagon and the two 4 plank wagons shown in another post.

After frustration with the "Ventilated"marking, I have now commissioned Fox Transfers to produce more compressed "Ventilated" markings, as well as "Ventilated Van" markings and the two types of NCU markings. I will get them sometime early in the new year and they may be available for others to purchase - if you are interested I would suggest asking them.

That will do for now, Merry Christmas to all.

Regards,

Craig W

iak

Postby iak » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:57 am

How very splendid Craig. :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:01 am

Craig as usual your wagons are looking very nice.

I'm passing through only for a few hours unfortunately in the next couple of weeks wish I could put a face to the name!

If your ever coming to Melbourne don't forget we have a standing invite to the finescale group meeting of any Australian members and of course to all in the Scalefourum soc!

Merry Christmas.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:35 am

Doug,

I am not that far off the freeway in Campbelltown, so if you feel like a quick drive by at all (we can give you a good cup of coffee!) then let me know.

Thanks for the comments about the wagons, I am actually making something approaching progress now and am not that far off having 20 wagons completed now which feels like a milestone to me!

Not sure if I will go onto coaches after that, or finish a few other things. Time will tell.

I have had a curved frame Bulldog, Dean Goods and 1854 pannier built for me by John James so I am trying to be rational and get some stock built before I dive back into locos.

Regards,

Craig W

Craig Warton

Wagon building progress-12 months on.

Postby Craig Warton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 am

It has been nearly 12 months since I started this thread, so what have I achieved? Not as much as I should have, but far better that I had done previously! In total, 9 wagons finished with another 5 I will finish by the end of the week. There is a further 4 that are not too far behind that either, so I am getting close now to my goal of 20 wagons. It is a very unbalanced 20 wagons and I really do need to build a few foreign wagons as well as a few more opens. But, it all takes time. I just keep plugging away. Thoughts are now turning to a couple of coaches too. Not sure what they will be yet.

The first two photos are of some of the wagons, the final one is my Dean Goods (Finney kit, built by John James) at the head of all (!) 9 of them.

Not much, but it is a start.

Regards to all, and good to see several other people joining in the wagon building "frenzy"

Craig Warton

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Looking great indeed. I've become a fan of wagon building myself. I guess it is because they are quicker projects to do and so you feel more accomplished more often, or is that just me?

I've done a few with Mr Bedford's spring units and like them very much, and done a few compo' ones but I am yet to solder up a full sprung under frame kit. My next wagon project me thinks.

Your iron riveted wagon on the right looks like something more rare on model railways. Liking them very much, especially that one.

Do you find it easy to know what under frame kits to buy for what wagons? It was an issue I had before but is currently unresolved for me.
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” Thomas Paine

https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.com/
Mostly 3D Printed Loco kits etc.

SCC Price list (7/4/22)
https://www.sparkshotcustomcreations.co ... e77d42.pdf

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:41 pm

Knuckles,

The notion of quicker never seems to work with me. I genuinely like goods wagons, especially the relatively ordinary and mundane stuff. With the space I have available I will be able to manage about 16 wagons plus brake and loco which will do for the secondary line I am interested in.

Under frames and brake gear is easier with GWR wagons because I usually use the Morgan Design ones. For private owner wagons I use Bill Bedford W-irons and a variety of brake gear. In truth I have not found one yet that combines accuracy and ease of assembly.

The rivetted wagon is a N6 loco coal wagon. I could not find small enough lettering for the loco marking so I left it off - no lettering looks better than poorly hand painted, especially for something not as obvious. This is a David Geen white metal kit. I have a few other kits he has done - Y2 fruit van, X4 and X5 Mica, 3 plank wagon and outside frame covered van to name a few.

As mentioned, I need to build a few wagons from other lines, so that will be new territory as far as brakegear goes!

Regards,

Craig W

Bulwell Hall

Postby Bulwell Hall » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Very nice set of wagons Craig - and a very nice 1920s Dean Goods also. They make a lovely train! What is the secondary GWR line that you are interested in by the way?

Keep up the good work.

Gerry

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:01 am

Gerry,

Thanks for the kind words.

This may sound slightly familiar to you, but I am very interested in the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line. The period around 1923-1924 is the period I am modelling at which time the DNS was home to things like Dean goods, 3232, Stellas and Dukes. Suffice to say that I have examples of all to build after I finish a few more wagons.

But, I am not telling you anything you do not know about the DNS already!

Regards

Craig

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi Craig,

Like the train of wagons! Good plan with the wagons from other companies. There is probably someone out there who could tell us what the average proportions would have been.

Colin Parks

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks for the compliment Colin, all flattery gratefully received!

The issue of wagons from other companies is very interesting indeed, with my thoughts not being helped by a lack of photographs from the DNS around 1923-1924.

I already have wagon books for LMS, MR and LSWR as well as the GWR but obviously need a few more yet. Nevertheless, the non common user scheme seems to have been a WW1 idea and looks initially to have been primarily non fitted stock - the GWR seems to have taken great efforts to ensure its fitted stock was marked NCU. The LSWR does not seem to have had any ordinary fitted vans at all - so maybe the GWR had a higher % fitted than other companies at the time. I have a few of the Martin Finney LSWR vans to build and I think I need to get a few ordinary opens of varying types - it is a great shame the Slaters range of MR kits has vanished!

Any further explanation of the stock in the NCU scheme in the 1920s would be much appreciated by me at least.

Regards,

Craig

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:19 am

Colin Parks wrote:Hi Craig,

Like the train of wagons! Good plan with the wagons from other companies. There is probably someone out there who could tell us what the average proportions would have been.

Colin Parks

Hi Colin,

I have seen the results of a pre-Grouping wagon survey that has exactly this sort of information. Annoyingly, I can't think for the life of me where it was!

It may have been Bob Essery's excellent book on railway operations, so I'll have a look tonight when I'm back from work. I have a feeling that it was a survey done somewhere like Gloucester, so there was a preponderance of GWR wagons, but also some well-travelled ones, such as GER and NB.

I'll see what I can dig out, and post the results. It will be a useful reference point to have on the Forum.
Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:52 am

To compliment what Flymo is digging out, I've recently seen a summary of when the various stages of the common user schemes were introduced, and if I can track it down I'll throw that into the mix. But non-common user wagons could still, of course, travel to 'foreign' lines, they just had to be sent home empty when their fee-earning trip was over. Since their loaded presence over a particular route would have been driven by a specific traffic, if that was satisfying a regular demand others of the same ilk could be expected to repeatedly appear. Similarly, since returns were meant to be by the shortest route, empties from the same working should have popped up regularly as they made their way back for handover. I personally take this as licence to run just about any goods stock I take a fancy to building, as long as I ensure there's a general predominance of my home company's livery - but I doubt the DNS was ever stuffed with HR or G&SWR stock (wait while someone proves exactly the opposite ...).
David L-T

Return to “Craig Warton”