Re: wagon building progress.

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:32 am

Alan Gibson does 10 spoke in three diameters including 3' - 11/2"

regards

Alan

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for that Alan. I should have looked of course, but now I have no excuse not to fit reasonably correct wheels.

Regards,

Craig

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Craig Warton wrote:Your friends are correct that the Toads do appear to have had a 10 spoke wheel - but also 3' 2" diameter too just to complicate things.

I am not sure if you can get a standard wagon wheel in 10 spoke form, so I shall have to live with the 8 spoke wheels. You are correct that I use Ultrascale wheels usually. I will just keep my fingers crossed that all will run ok. I suspect though that if I am reasonably careful with track laying things should be alright.

If you're being picky about the number of spokes, then Alan Gibson does a 3'2 10-spoke bogie wheel... Code 4838 in the pdf catalogue I use.

Of course, behind all those stepboards and w-irons, it may just be that the spokes are just a little _too_ difficult to count accurately in the gloom ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm

Craig,

Ultrascale also do a 3’1” 10 spoke wheel, the odd 1” is neither here nor there...

Philip

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Flymo748 wrote:If you're being picky about the number of spokes, then Alan Gibson does a 3'2 10-spoke bogie wheel... Code 4838 in the pdf catalogue I use.

But a bogie wheel is not the best option for this, the rim will be to heavy.
AG does do a 10 spoke wagon wheel,
4006, 3’1½”, 12mm, 10 spoke (plain) wheels

Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

The increase in the wheel diameter is presumably to give a greater tread/tyre depth, to allow more time in service before the wheelset has to be replaced, given that the rate of wear on brakevan wheels will be significantly greater than for virtually any other vehicle. I don't know what the minimum acceptable diameter was, but it seems a reasonable assumption that it would be less than the 3ft 1.5 ins of normal wagon wheels, so the 3ft 2in starting value would be significantly reduced whilst in service.
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I don't know what the minimum acceptable diameter was, but it seems a reasonable assumption that it would be less than the 3ft 1.5 ins of normal wagon wheels,

I have not seen evidence of the scrapping limit for wagon wheels but AFAIK the 3'1.5" dimension given on drawings is the new size not the minimum.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun May 27, 2018 8:16 am

Time really does get away doesn't it? It seems to be a very short time since I posted an update but I find with alarm that it was 6 weeks ago. the good news is that I have been plodding along with things. any progress is better than no progress. The cattle wagon and the Loriot are both "nearly there".
Just a few little details to go and then they will be under coated. I should have taken a photo or two but the little bits I have added do not look that different from the last photos.

I have been mindful of the fact there were other railways in the UK and I really should have a few more wagons from these other companies. Common user was reasonably widespread by the early 1920s. I have a little pile of Mousa Models kits to build and having done a D32 and a D1 it seemed logical to raid the pile again.

The wagons this time are 2 x LNWR D4 open wagons. The kits comprise of an etched under frame, one piece printed resin body and 3d printed detail parts. I really do like the concept behind these kits. It is an excellent approach and enables e to build some things far quicker than I would otherwise. That being said, 3d printing is still evolving and the detail on these is quite soft. They are acceptable layout wagons, but I would not consider them to be something you would let the camera linger on. Obviously the process has changed since the D32 was done and production output may have increased but it has come at a cost of general finesse. I will still keep buying them but I am very mindful of the limitations of the process. 3D printing has great potential - the detail parts and figures from Modelu are brilliant but I think other items (rolling stock) have a way to go before I will be genuinely happy with them. The wagons are shown built out of the box, by the 1920s they seem to have had a single door bang and spring so i will add them shortly. That is it for now, more to follow.
LNWR D4 wagons.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:03 am

It is with some considerable shame that I surface after nearly a year with out a post. I would love to report that it has been a productive year, but sadly no. My son was married in June 2018 and my Daughter was married in October 2018. So last year was a little bit crazy and I rather fell into a bit of a hole modelling wise.

I was lucky enough to obtain some of the new Brassmasters sprung wagon under frames last year. I must thank David B of this parish for assistance in obtaining, his generosity is something I cannot thank him enough for. The under frames are rather nice and do go together as one would expect from their origins. I only just realised as I was typing this that I should really have use Gloucester under frame for a Parkend wagon (oops). The only thing I have found with these is that refitting the spring carriers to a completed wagon body is the work of the devil. I nearly threw the wagon against the wall a few times. I now have 9 x PO wagons to finish painting. Hopefully that will take place this weekend followed by weathering. Then I can add them to the "done" pile. I will also paint a few GW wagons at the same time.

I have also tired of taking photos on a bit of plywood so I have been slowly build a small diorama to take photos on. It still has quite a way to go but even now the difference is quite dramatic. At least to me it is.

That is about it for the moment. The next update will be quicker. I promise!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Nice set of the FoD's finest there - instantly reminded me of trips to the pub/restaurant in Newnham where they used to have a rake of local wagons on the mantlepiece. It is many years since I built my last 4mm mineral - I've knocked out a few 7mm ones in the meantime - but with goodies like those underframes I'm very tempted to get back to some. You have to be very careful with the dio building, though - the dockside I began five years ago to photograph my own new builds is still dragging me away from 'proper' modelling. The trouble is, I forget it's not actually a layout, and whenever I look at it I spot another odd corner where more detail can be added. Best to keep it simple, and probably rural, as you seem to have done. That way you can avoid tasks like adding a (working) sack lift to a low-relief warehouse on the backscene ...
David L-T

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:02 am

So where has the year gone? In truth, 2019 was not the best year I have had. My In laws (who lived with us) both passed away and even when I had time the enthusiasm to model was a little lacking. Bits and pieces were done but it only the last few weeks that my modelling focus has kicked in again.

The weather here has not been great for painting of late so with my new found motivation I decided to do a few more wagons. This pair are Cooper craft O4 5 plank wagons. As usual, only the sides and ends are used, being combined with a Morgan Design underframe. The buffers and spring/axles are from the Mousa Models shapeways shop. I still have more to do but given the current situation, I will be spending more time at home so the return of my enthusiasm is a very welcome thing.

More will follow soon but I thought it was time to break the near 12 month drought!

Regards,

Craig Warton

IMG_E9331.JPG

DougN

Postby DougN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 am

No good about the inlaws Craig. but great to have you modelling again. My father died in January so I understand how distracted you can get. However I have found that doing a little modelling has helped as a form of cognitive behavior therapy. The wagons look great I look forward to seeing your production get back to your normal level ! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 am

Doug, my condolences on your Dad. It is a pretty crappy thing to go through. It happens to us all but is intensely personal too.
I do agree on the modelling being good therapy and it is. My other distraction has been getting involved in cat rescue activities. I never really cared much for cats until we got one. I then found that I get on really good with them. "We" now have 7 cats, all street cats or the offspring of them as I brought two pregnant mothers home. I now admin a Facebook cat rescue page and help a few rescue groups with activities. That was good therapy too (mostly)

This is one of my other things on the go. It is the Hornby Toad I showed previously that has been backdated to an AA15 by changing the footboard brackets. I have started lettering it with 25" lettering as suits my early 1920s timeframe. The Didcot allocation was a custom order from Railtec which was delivered with great speed. Still have to number it and do the other side. Due to this wretched Corona virus my work will be shutting down for 3 weeks over Easter and being basically confined to home I am planning on lots of modelling. Anyway, two updates in two days even if they are small ones.

Craig Warton
IMG_E9344.JPG

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Well it appears now that my work will not be shutting down at all. The office might close but I appear to have enough to keep me going through out with paper work and other things. Mores the pity. I was hoping to speand a day or 5 on my V2's. I guess I might just get things done on the weekend.

Great that you have found a cause that can keep you busy in the rescue cats.

I look forward to seeing more of your wagons soon.
Doug

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 am

My week of stay at home time has been reasonably productive. I have sorted a few things out and made good progress on the wagon front. Good progress is a relative thing, I am certainly not one of these people who churns things out at a lightning pace. I must admit though, that having seen the tribulations faced by people building iron ore hopper kits I am rather pleased with my lot.

Finally one of the O4 wagons is complete bar painting. I want to finish the other one and then I will be painting a few wagons in one session which should really improve the numbers in my completed wagon fleet. After getting back into things and making progress I must say that I am very glad my interest is in a secondary line. The time involved in these things does not bear thinking about.

Anyway, here is the first completed O4. I am pretty pleased with her, although one always aims to do better and quicker!

Apologies for the spate of mobile phone photos, I have been too lazy to drag my proper camera out

Regards,

Criag Warton

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:40 am

Very nice there Craig. I haven't got into wagon building though I will have too at some point. i find It's all the etched bits that make building the plastic bodies run so nicely. Which is the challange.
Doug

David B

Postby David B » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:48 am

DougN wrote:I haven't got into wagon building though I will have too at some point.

I don't seem to get out of it! I have built a few road vehicles but everything else seem to be wagons. One day, I might make my third loco, the last was built about three years ago.

A nice wagon, Craig. I have several of the Coopercraft 4 plank bodies to mount on Morgan DC1 underframes. They have been hanging around for months but I don't seem to be finding time for modelling at the moment even though I have been nowhere for the past three weeks (only another nine to go). It is perverse to be stuck at home yet too busy to get any modelling done!

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Doug and David,

I am still finishing off a few unfinished things (mostly wagons) that are not complete although I did lapse and start these two. Then I have a few horseboxes to finish off and the trivial little matter of a 517 and 3232 to get stuck into. I have two more weeks off work so I am hoping to make quite a bit more progress. We are staying home (as we are meant to) and apart from doing housework and watching the odd TV show I am trying to get modelling done. When the cats do not bug me too badly that is.

Doug, really impressed with you sticking at the V2 kits, I am sure that goods wagons will be a breeze when you get to them.

David, you will get a chance in the next nine weeks to get some wagons done... have faith!

Regards,

Craig

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am

Some more progress and i now have the two O4 wagons ready for painting. I have a couple more of the Parkside - Dundas tarp mechanisms to use and then I will be switching over to using the Southwark Bridge etch version from a set of GWR brake components they released. It does not seem to have made the transition to the Roxey page though I would assume it would be possible to obtain. The mechanism is such a distinctive feature of GWR open wagons and it is a pity that there are so few options for reproducing it. I now have 7 x GWR open wagons ready to paint, I think I might do a couple more 3 and 4 plank wagons to reach the dozen milestone and then let the airbrush loose.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:31 am

Nice work Craig...who's kits?

Mike

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am

Hi Mike,

The sides and ends are Coopercraft. I use the 1925 version of the O4 so I can avoid removing the terrible tarp rail that is moulded on the other version of the O4. I use the Morgan underframe because it has far more finesse than the rest of the CC kit.

Regards,

Craig

dclift

Postby dclift » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 am

Craig Warton wrote:I have a couple more of the Parkside - Dundas tarp mechanisms to use and then I will be switching over to using the Southwark Bridge etch version from a set of GWR brake components they released. It does not seem to have made the transition to the Roxey page though I would assume it would be possible to obtain. The mechanism is such a distinctive feature of GWR open wagons and it is a pity that there are so few options for reproducing it.

For several years I have searched in vain for G.W.R. tarp bar mechanisms after having exhausted my meagre supply of whitemetal fittings of unknown origin. Hubert Carr wrote some years ago that he was considering producing them. On my last two visits to Scaleforum, I asked him whether he still had plans to do so, but it seems unlikely. I can find no mention of them in the Parkside range apart from PC81 and PC28 which are complete wagon kits, the latter being B.R. As you say, the Southwark Bridge website makes no mention of them. Any suggestions as to whether, or where, they can be obtained would be very welcome.
David Clift.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:59 am

David,

I did have some white metal tarp rail bits but they were from an ABS accessory kit which I don’t think are available now. I have some of the Southwark Bridge also which I’ve fitted to a Coopercraft 4 plank open.

Dave

markdavy

Postby markdavy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:49 am

I can confirm that Hubert Carr is in the process of developing an etched Great Western tarpaulin bar bracket.

Justin Newett (Rumney Models) makes a tarpaulin bar bracket for LMS/BR corrugated end wagons (B.92), so at Scaleforum last year I asked him if he had any plans to produce a GWR version. He said no, but that Hubert Carr was developing one.

So I wandered over to the Model Railway Developments stand and had a long conversation with Hubert. He had overcome a significant design problem and hoped to release by the end of the year. I had a similar conversation with him at the Portsmouth exhibition in November, and gave him my contact details. I haven’t heard from him, so I guess the development is not yet complete. I was hoping to see him at the Corsham show, but the virus has intervened ...

Incidentally, Hubert sad that his MRD website had been high-jacked and was being held to ransom ! He also had problems accessing his paypal account. The November 2019 BRM contained an advert saying that a new MRD website was about to go live. The current website has a new look, but the tarpaulin bar bracket is not listed.

The MRD website says “We try to make everything easy to build, and always assume that you have two left hands and wear woolly gloves”. That’ll suit me !

Mark

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I was fortunate that I secured a number of sets of the Parkside mouldings before they were sold to Peco. At that time Parkside would sell you a specific sprue. The Southwark etch is another I acquired whilst SBM were active and the brake gear set was something that Ivan released that does not seem to be available from Roxey.

I am still waiting on some GWR coach buffers from MRD that I ordered and paid for in 2016. Despite a friend actually reminding the proprietor in 2017 they still have not shown up. I will look at any other path including doing my own or paying someone to do it before I ever click "add to cart" with MRD again.

I am building a batch of David Geen 3 plank GWR wagons at present - 5 of them in total. All will be rigid underframe because my efforts to fit springing to one did not end well. They are going together ok and photos will follow soon.

Regards,

Craig

Return to “Craig Warton”