Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed projects!

Jeremy Good

Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed projects!

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Hello all,

The realisation that I have been a member of the Society for nearly 20 years and have yet to build a P4 layout has been causing some frustration over recent years and led to a number of projects that have been started but never finished. I have built locos and stock with various degrees of success and some can still be seen on St Merryn or occasionally deputising on Portchullin and therein lies the problem - quite simply there are too many things I'd like to model!

Just to prove that I have been able to complete some projects, the photos shows 57XX No 3635, a St Blazey based Pannier Tank, built from a Bachmann body, Comet chassis and assorted other bits and pieces - this did appear for a while on St Merryn until superseded by something more appropriate, a 45XX with a similar provenance!

DSC_4530.jpg

My main interest has been the railways of Devon and Cornwall (heretically not company specific!) but others have influenced along the way. There have been diversions into Great Eastern territory and the S&D as well as the far, far north of Scotland. As a result of frustrations with achieving what I want in a Cornish context in the space I have available I've taken the decision to suspend planning for that project and get cracking with a more manageable layout plan.

Influenced by an interest in Scotland's railways and as a result of operating Portchullin I have returned to an old favourite - the BLT - but not a Great Western one but a Highland version in BR days - the early 1970's to be precise. The plan revolves around the might have been line from Garve on the Kyle of Lochalsh to Lochinver. It won''t be big, it won't be overly ambitious but will (I hope) get built.

This OMWB thread will, hopefully, track some progress in getting that project built as well as finishing off some of the part built projects laying around the work bench some of which will run to Lochinver and others more of a West Country bias but at least I might make some progress if I'm being watched!

The current projects are involve Sulzer Type 2's one a Class 24/1 based on a Bachmann 24/0 with Brassmasters cabs, the other a Class 26 this time based on the Heljan model. Both have sprung chassis using the PenBits systems and both will appear shortly in photographic form.

The other, long running project, is the completion of a Ratio Bogie Van B which has been evolving for years - shown below.

DSC_4537.jpg

I hope some of this will be of interest and look forward to some comments as I progress.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jeremy Good on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed proje

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Excellent Jeremy, now that you have put this in the public domain I can press you to keep going on it............!!!!
Mark Tatlow

Jeremy Good

Re: Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed projects!

Postby Jeremy Good » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:27 pm

The 11 month hiatus on this thread is a further example of my propensity to procrastinate!

The Lochinver project progressed to the point of working out the likely traffic and train service and consequently the stock requirement all of which led to the realisation that it would be a bit of a squeeze in the space and on the boards I had built. The need for more space is likely to be resolved as a fortunate by-product of a house extension which should leave me with an amply sized, properly constructed loft room for my layout(s).

In the short term, now that the builders have started, I have had to downsize and will now lose my workbench. Not wanting to stop building the wagons and NPCS I have started I had been looking for solution so that I could still leave the live projects out to be worked on rather than having to tidy up each time I wanted to do some modelling. The solution came from Paul Willis' blog "Another Round" in the form of a Grainge & Hodder Work Tray.

So, today on my workbench is another workbench or, more accurately, Work Tray...

IMG_0444.JPG

This arrived this morning and comprises neatly laser cut, slot together parts of 5.5mm ply. It makes up into a work tray 590mm by 410mm which should give space for me to continue progressing some of those part built projects while I wait for the new dedicated railway space to become available. The Work Tray itself is available from Grainge & Hodder (http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk) for £25.00 plus delivery/postage.

Once the glue has dried and I've had the opportunity progress some of the wagons I'll report back on how well the Work Tray fulfils its purposes.

In the meantime, back to trying to understand DC II brake gear to go under a GWR Dia 013 Clay open - anyone got any photos of the underpinnings of one of these?

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Jeremy
I'll have a look at my records. All the 013s I have are fitted with the later conventional brake gear.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Following yesterday's query and the various responses on this thread and under the wagons section about GWR Dia 013 Clay opens, I think I've worked out how the DC2 brake gear worked and could be modelled. So attached are a couple of views of the progress so far.

The chassis is the Masokits DC3 cross cornered brakes sprung subframe. The modifications involve moving the the outside V hangers, cross shaft and brake levers to one end of the wagon and omission of the various underframe fittings to create a slightly simplified, but reasonably accurate (I hope) underframe. I've also added the tie bar between W-irons from 0.45mm brass wire. The body is an Ian Kirk kit.

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Also progressing is a later, independent brake gear version. This is an older Alan Gibson underframe, with additional Masokits outside V beneath a Bachmann body. Again some further details needed, including the wooden packing pieces behind the large V hanger.

IMG_0446.JPG

I'll try and post completed wagon photos in the next few days unless someone tells me I've got them horribly wrong...

Jeremy

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:14 am

Jeremy,

The O13 wagons are looking very nice indeed, well done. I built one a couple of years ago, which was a bodge and I am now going to use the Morgan design DC2 underframe. I have done a few of the Morgan underframes and they are pretty good. Might be worth a look.

Regards,

Craig Warton

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Craig

Thanks for your comments. I did think about the Morgan Design underframe as an alternative approach but having built most of the Masokits one before I realised it wasn't the right version of DC brakes I decided I'd adapt it rather than starting again. For my period (mid-1950's) I suspect that the DC2 versions of this wagon would have been in the minority. I'm planning on building 6 or 7 and so 1 with DC2 is probably enough. We'll see...

The photo of the other wagon (the Bachmann body) has been bugging me all day. It is clearly a chunkier moulding than the more delicate Ian Kirk kits but that still didn't explain the differences. It was only when I looked more closely at the photos and then compared it to the Ratio wagons in my work in progress box that I realised why. It is simply a reliveried BR Clay Open, not a GW 013! So either I need to build a new body for the chassis or I need to BR-ise the chassis with different W-irons and proper Morton brake gear. I'll try and work out what is easier.

Jeremy

Jeremy Good

Re: Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed projects! The Sprung Hymek

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 pm

As part of my drive to complete some of the kits I had started I had another look at the PenBits conversion for the Heljan Hymek that I began before Christmas.

This is possibly one of the easiest of the PenBits kits to do as there is little in the way of cosmetic detail to be added merely the mechanical bits. Ian does provide some etched parts to represent the brake gear that is missing from the Heljan bogie mouldings but, as Ian says in the instructions, it is barely visible. At least I know it is there (or most of it anyway!).

IMG_0515.JPG

I've also discovered the other disadvantage of chemically blackening the chassis as you go along - you can't see it clearly in the photos. Hopefully the view above illustrates the simplicity of the bogie design for this conversion. The completed (undetailed) loco is seen below.

IMG_0513.JPG

The cosmetics will be addressed when I get my workbench and painting area back in action but for now one sprung, operational Hymek. Next up the Class 37...

Jeremy Good

Re: Procrastination, prevarication and part progressed projects! Wheal Elizabeth's new home

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:14 pm

As many who know me, and one or two of those who follow this thread, will be aware I have been trying to build a China Clay branch based layout for quite some time but out of frustration in the planning phase had put the development of that layout on hold. Earlier this year the opportunity arose to acquire a ready built China Clay layout when Andrew Ullyott offered his excellent take on the concept, Wheal Elizabeth, for sale.

After some discussion I found myself the owner-in-waiting of the layout pending Andrew's final show with it at Nailsea over the last weekend. So after managing to contrive an excuse for a trip to Bristol for work yesterday the layout was packed into the back of my car and sped east along the M4 to East Surrey where it will now reside. Once the builders have finished extending to house and providing a railway cave I will be able to set it up and play trains again.

My plan is to bring some of my part finished projects to completion concentrating for the layout over the next few months. Initially I will be concentrating on my two main areas of interest, the mid to late 1950's and the mid to late 1970's. Once I am satisfied I have sufficient stock and have ironed out any problems that may arise during conversion to DCC (to allow for sound in the diesels) I expect that I will take the layout to a few shows. I doubt I'll be able to manage the 35 over 8 years that Andrew has done but you haven't seen the last of Wheal Elizabeth on the exhibition circuit.

Progress on stock building will appear here over the next few months and hopefully I'll have it fully up and running later in DCC form by the end of the year ready to go out on the road again in 2017.

Jeremy

Andrew Ullyott

Postby Andrew Ullyott » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm sure she'll be in safe hands!

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Jeremy Good wrote:....The other, long running project, is the completion of a Ratio Bogie Van B which has been evolving for years - shown below.

DSC_4537.jpg

Just spotted this. I think mine's been marinating for longer than yours. The one thing it lacks is weight.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Doesn't time fly!

Procrastination has continued but one or two things are now coming to the end of a very extended construction process. There are some more clay specific wagons that will appear on the wagon thread shortly but inspired by thoughts of some Bodmin & Wenford motive power and discussions about options for modelling a 1366 PT elsewhere I thought I'd finish off its older brother the 1361 ST.

The chassis has been complete for a while and has been used as a guinea pig while I try and work out the best way to build a 1366 tank. The basic superstructure has also been knocking around the workbench for some time but now has most of its fittings in situ. The provenance is one of the excellent Peter K kits acquired on the "Bring & Buy" back in Leatherhead days which came complete with Sharman Wheels. Propulsion is by a Mashima 1020 and a HighLevel gearbox (Slimliner + I think). The motor sits vertically in the firebox (just) with drive to the rear axle and good old fashioned compensation at the front end. Just waiting for a trip to the paint shop and suitable number plates before passing into service.

IMG_1732.jpg

More to follow in the next few days, hopefully, as I try and get some projects closer to completion.

steamraiser

Postby steamraiser » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:09 am

And the industrial diesel parked behind your 1361?

Gordon A

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:17 am

Gordon

It's a Judith Edge kit of a Thomas Hill Vanguard 0-6-0 which was intended as the works shunter for Wheal Elizabeth. Nearly done but construction came to a halt as I ran out of suitable handrail wire. It'll appear here once I have done the last set of handrails, added the buffers and connecting rods.

Jeremy

Return to “Jeremy Good”