A photo plank...

John Donnelly
Web Team

A photo plank...

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Both as somewhere to photograph rolling stock and as a quick/cheap way of learning how to use static grass, I've had a go at making a small photo plank. Quite a bit still to do but it is getting there...

and an overall shot:

Le Corbusier

Re: A photo plank...

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 am

nice idea John .... I suppose in a slightly more extended way I am doing the same with my length of test track ... but this is much more focussed :? Like the tree :thumb
Tim Lee

Dave Franks

Postby Dave Franks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:33 am

For me I like what you've done with the bufferstop too.....

If I could find the time I need the practice with the static grass, the group I'm part of but working on my own has just invested in a posh static grass applicator though I've yet to try it myself.

Cheers John.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 am

Thanks Tim,

I've deliberately kept this as simple as possible to avoid it taking time away from the main layout. Having already built a couple of, albeit small, P4 layouts, I've already done the test track thing.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 am

Dave Franks wrote:For me I like what you've done with the bufferstop too.....

If I could find the time I need the practice with the static grass, the group I'm part of but working on my own has just invested in a posh static grass applicator though I've yet to try it myself.

Cheers John.

Cheers Dave, the stop needs a bit more work but it seemed a shame not to highlight the detail you put in to the bolts. Fortunately, the South Pelaw guys have a good grass applicator so I've used that and found it's not just a case of filling it up and shaking...

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm

John Donnelly wrote:Having already built a couple of, albeit small, P4 layouts, I've already done the test track thing.

ah! .... well you see, I'm still very much starting out with all of this ... so the learning curve remains high on pretty much all I do :? ... hence trying to combine as many things as I can on the test track :thumb

......Still really like the photo plank idea though ;)
Tim Lee

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Le Corbusier wrote:ah! .... well you see, I'm still very much starting out with all of this ... so the learning curve remains high on pretty much all I do :? ... hence trying to combine as many things as I can on the test track :thumb

From now on, the layout itself will act as the test track, after all the rolling stock has to be able to run on it :mrgreen:

Le Corbusier wrote:......Still really like the photo plank idea though ;)

Figured I'd do it as the layout itself isn't likely to have any scenery for a long time yet...

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 pm

It looks good, & as you say swill serve a purpose. It may help water on playing with lighting too, the see what it looks like under different shades/colour temperatures.

Are the trees/shrubs home made, or commercial? Very well done, & matched to the rest, whichever.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:12 am

Thanks Pete - trees and bushes are Woodland Scenics straight out of the box.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 pm

More work on the buffer stop end of the plank today:

Return to “John Donnelly”