A little diversion...

John Donnelly
Web Team

A little diversion...

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

As is often the case, my attention has wandered and this beauty has found itself back on the workbench. I purchased it partially completed some four years ago and mention of the loco on RMWeb prompted me to dig it out again. Roof has just been bent to shape ready for soldering, pantograph (which is fully sprung) supports need to be added to the roof once it is in place...

Bogies (Black Beetle) are actually EM but I'm going to build it as is as I'll likely never have the appropriate layout to run it on but it's a nice bit of history from my local area.

pete55

Re: A little diversion...

Postby pete55 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Nice loco John.....not a bad gauge either!

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:59 pm

If I can get it converted to DCC, I’ll bring it for a run on SPJ :)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:24 am

Power bogie under construction, Black Beetle Bogie, with etched brass outer frame and then resin axle boxes and pickup shoes over that:

I suspect the the frame is currently set a little too low so may need to be raised a mm or two...

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:29 am

Progress as of close of play last night, cab roof is just placed on for now.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Just noticed I've managed to get the 3rd rail collectors on upside down... :x

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:54 am

Shoebeams have been corrected, roof is on, underframe detail underway and brakes added to one of the bogies:

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 am

Bogie wiring, buffer beam detailing and guard irons added:

kelly

Postby kelly » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 am

Lovely model. The Judith Edge range has a number of great items, I've a few to make myself, one of which is an overhead loco from the Harton system, No. 2.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

kelly wrote:Lovely model. The Judith Edge range has a number of great items, I've a few to make myself, one of which is an overhead loco from the Harton system, No. 2.

Thanks Kelly.

Finished the brake gear on the second bogie tonight, here's the current state of play:

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 am

Another diversion, this time in to the world of Arduino to control a stepper motor for a turntable. Not too difficult although I am a software developer by profession and the language used to program the Arduino is almost identical to 'C', a language I'm very familiar with.

It will likely need to be tweaked once installed on the layout but, so far, I've programmed the following:

Button 1 - turn 180 degrees clockwise.
Button 2 - turn 180 degrees anti clockwise.
Button 3 - 'nudge' clockwise.
Button 4 - 'nudge' anti-clockwise.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Having done no railway modelling in the house for months I figured it was time to try and get back in to the swing of things and I've dug out the ES1 Electric from the shelf of shame tonight.

Detailing the chassis:

and, whilst there are still a couple of small parts to add, I couldn't resist a coat of primer on the body (the body bolts to the chassis so they can be painted separately) The primer has shown that I didn't make a particularly good job of laminating the pantograph support beams so they may need to be revisited...

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:33 pm

Hi John,
So what primer did you go for in the end?
Steve

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 pm

Halfords acrylic from a spray can.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 am

Post-1952 condition, judging by the buffers? Are you going to paint it green? I have the one I did for my dad in black a few years ago - trying to talk myself out of repainting it green...

There's some nicely observed detail on your model - I see you changed the angle of whatever that thing above the shoe beam is, as per late condition.

A piece of constructive criticism: Mike's castings for the axleboxes are prone to air bubbles, which manifest themselves as little baubles, particularly within the "fins" of the axleboxes - you have one or two of these baubles visible. They can be flicked off easily with something pointed.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:47 pm

I’d love to do the green but I fear the lining would defeat me so it’s going to be black. Resin will be cleaned up a little more, there is a bit missing from one of the shoe beams that needs to be sorted out before the primer goes on the chassis.

Still need to put the lamp irons on as well.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Daddyman wrote:There's some nicely observed detail on your model - I see you changed the angle of whatever that thing above the shoe beam is, as per late condition.

That is a fuse holder with a ceramic arc chute, to guide the molten bits of fuse, should it fail, to places of less inconvenience.
They occur on Southern Railway and London Underground stock too.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:05 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:
Daddyman wrote:There's some nicely observed detail on your model - I see you changed the angle of whatever that thing above the shoe beam is, as per late condition.

That is a fuse holder with a ceramic arc chute, to guide the molten bits of fuse, should it fail, to places of less inconvenience.
They occur on Southern Railway and London Underground stock too.

Ted.

Interesting, thanks. A different design on the locos up to 1952, seemingly.

John Donnelly wrote:I’d love to do the green but I fear the lining would defeat me so it’s going to be black. Resin will be cleaned up a little more, there is a bit missing from one of the shoe beams that needs to be sorted out before the primer goes on the chassis.

The BR version of NER green is not that hard, as all the lines are straight, so can be done with transfers. But mine has curly bonnet handrails, collector shoes on the ends of the beams and W/house hoses and I'd have to remove/change all that if I wanted to put it into green...

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:00 pm

Daddyman wrote: The BR version of NER green is not that hard, as all the lines are straight, so can be done with transfers.

HMRS do the transfers - or at least they did. I built one of these about 10 years ago, just for fun, but it needs painting.

Terry Bendall

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:31 pm

Looks like you're doomed, John.

DaveB

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:54 pm

davebradwell wrote:Looks like you're doomed, John.

You may be right, on a trip to the Borders EM group Workshopwise today, the most asked question was 'are you going to paint it green' :mrgreen:

Triode

Postby Triode » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:32 pm

On the subject if lining, could it be possible to make templates in the shape of each pattern from card, temporarily fix them to the model and draw round them with a pen or something dipped in paint?

I'm planning (perhaps naively) do do this on a repaint of the hornby 48DS.

I'd imagine it would be harder for double lining or for a model that won't be liberally weathered to cover up mistakes!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:58 pm

Triode wrote:On the subject if lining, could it be possible to make templates in the shape of each pattern from card, temporarily fix them to the model and draw round them with a pen or something dipped in paint?

Most definitely. It's a well-established technique. You'll find it described on p.65 of Ian Rathbone's "A Modellers Handbook of Painting and Lining".

The only real "gotcha" is that if you run the lining pen/brush hard up against the edge of the template, the paint will tend to run under the template's edge through capillary action. In any sort of lining, whether straight or curved, you really want to hold the "paint depositing device" at a slight angle so that it is a fraction of a millimetre away from the template. It's a bit of a knack, but comes with practice.

The discussion of what is a suitable "paint depositing device" is one that different people hold strong views on ;-)

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks for the comments. The loco is currently in it's box awaiting some attention as I managed to drop it a couple of weeks ago and one of the bogies exploded in a shower of etched brass, resin and plastic...

Triode

Postby Triode » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear that John. Sounds like it won't be an easy repair.

Return to “John Donnelly”