A sprung Class 24 or an exercise in ignorance and persistence...

John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: A sprung Class 24 or an exercise in ignorance and persistence...

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Well I'm delighted to say that, having temporarily wired up the first of the bogies, the loco has had it's first live run on some track :thumb

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:33 pm

A short video of the 24s first run with the new bogies, just the left hand bogie is powered at the moment. It sounds a bit 'clicky' at the minute but has had no lubrication or any running in yet.

https://youtu.be/EPEkCyBANVI

John

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Looking good, John

John Donnelly wrote:It sounds a bit 'clicky' at the minute

Have you trimmed the pivot screw to length? You wouldn't be the first to have missed that instruction ;)

Cheers
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:11 pm

ianpenberth wrote:
Have you trimmed the pivot screw to length? You wouldn't be the first to have missed that instruction ;)

Oops :cry: :D

So, having sorted that out, I've reverted to the old test of placing some 1mm plasticard on one of the rails and I'm pleased to say that the loco glides over it with none of the other wheels losing contact with the rail head.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Nothing to show but I've now got the second bogie finished and wired with none of the tightness of the first bogie. Currently got it running on the rolling road.

John

ianpenberth

Postby ianpenberth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 pm

John Donnelly wrote:
ianpenberth wrote:

Oops :cry: :D

John

So, after the severalth time this happened, I finally got round to looking at the instructions to see if I should make this one more prominent. I searched high and low through the text and yes - it wasn't there at all :oops:

It was added to the Preparing the Locomotive section on 28th Dec, and migrated into the pdf version on 11th Jan ( :oops: again)

Cheers
Ian
PenBits Model Railways - Diesel bogie springing and detailing

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:24 pm

With regard to soldering nuts to sheet brass, I keep some chemically blackened screws in my BA boxes for the purpose. Solder is most reluctant to adhere to blackened metal, and this saves the sometimes messy result from using grease.
(A purists' purist)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 pm

ianpenberth wrote:
So, after the severalth time this happened, I finally got round to looking at the instructions to see if I should make this one more prominent. I searched high and low through the text and yes - it wasn't there at all :oops:

It was added to the Preparing the Locomotive section on 28th Dec, and migrated into the pdf version on 11th Jan ( :oops: again)

Cheers

Cheers Ian, I feel slightly less stupid now :D

John

Martin Kelly

Postby Martin Kelly » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Hello John, I read this thread with great interest because I'm looking at using the same Penbits sprung bogies kit.

I notice you used a set of the Ultrascale drop-in conversion wheels. So I assume you needed to remove the wheels from the axles in order to fit Bachmann bearings. How easy was it to remove the wheels without damaging them and did you use any special tools for the job like some sort of wheel pusher or gear pusher? Also, when you refitted the wheels, were they a simple tight friction fit or did you need to use anything to secure them in place like Loctite 603?

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:11 am

This is not a process to be hurried...Follow the excellent instructions.
The wheels come off the axles with a twist, no great effort. But the bosses on the backs of the wheels are too long, in order to accommodate the narrow 'OO' bogies. I found a washer that fits over the boss and covers all of the back of the wheel and placed that while sawing off the excess of the bosses, finishing with a fine file.
Even with the extra part of the boss missing, the wheels were a sufficiently tight fit to require no additional adhesive.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:43 pm

I did pretty much exactly what Ted has described, no special tools used at any point. I still have the chassis which does run but the introduction of the SLW 24 rather put paid to the project.

John

Martin Kelly

Postby Martin Kelly » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 pm

Ted, John, thank you both very much. That's really helpful information.

Martin Kelly

Postby Martin Kelly » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:04 pm

John Donnelly wrote:I still have the chassis which does run but the introduction of the SLW 24 rather put paid to the project.

Out of curiosity, did you consider seeing if the Penbits spring bogie could be adapted/fitted to the SLW 24?

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:54 pm

I didn’t, as much because I didn’t want to take a £300 loco apart to see if it would as anything else.

John

Jeremy Good

Postby Jeremy Good » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 pm

I previously discussed the SLW models with Ian and I seem to recall that the combination of the width of the gear tower and location of the bogie pivot meant that the current Class 24/25 kit wouldn’t fit an SLW one.

Whether he can be persuaded to produce one for the SLW loco is a different matter….

Jeremy

Return to “John Donnelly”