Wagons for South Pelaw Junction

John Donnelly
Web Team

Wagons for South Pelaw Junction

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Whilst the layout itself remains a Templot plan, I've made a start on the wagon fleet for South Pelaw Junction. As the layout will be able to easily swallow a couple of hundred wagons, these are not going to be superdetailed, etched brass everything wagons, they are all RTR conversions or plastic kits. Tony Wright has a term, 'layout coaches', well these are 'layout wagons' that will look OK in 10-30 wagons trains running on a 30' long layout where individual details are lost in the overall picture. Neither are any of them sprung - they take the less than perfect pointwork on my 'plank' with no problems so I'm happy to leave them rigid for now...

First up is a Parkside Dundas Boplate E with Gibson wheels, Smiths 3 links and Lanarkshire Models buffers. It still needs decals added but I forgot before I did the weathering...

Next a couple of 16 tonners from the Bachmann model. Heavily weathered (as much to disguise the fact that the factory weathered all have identical 'rust' and running numbers) with oils which I find represents rust that has 'bubbled up' from under paintwork quicte well as it is easy to give it some texture: Wheels are again Gibsons and these two still wait the fitting of Smiths 3 links and weathering of the chassis:

And finally, for now, a couple of 21 tonners. First up is the new Hornby model. i understand from other forums that the configuration of this particular model with the axleboxes as supplied is very specific but again, in the overall scheme of things, I can live with ignoring this. Very heavily weathered based on a photo on Paul Bartletts site this one still needs the chassis to be weathered:

And an example of the Parkside Dundas kit (actually the very first kit built wagon I've done) with the weathering based on the second vehicle on the left in the photo below albeit I have no idea how such a weathering pattern would emerge...

It does, however, highlight one of the issues of using oils, the very long drying time which has allowed a fiar bit of dust to collect on the paint - to be fair this is not visible from 12 inches away so I may end up leaving it as it is...

John
Last edited by John Donnelly on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Wagons for South Pelaw Junction

Postby Mark Tatlow » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:25 pm

John Donnelly wrote: I have no idea how such a weathering pattern would emerge...

John

I would think a replacement panel has been welded in to repair some past problem with its predecessor and the work order did not say "paint"...........

These all look wonderfully grotty............ (said as praise, in case anyone from RMweb takes offence at an apparent slur!). You really can feel the work-aday feel of these; how many more do you need for South Pelaw!?!?!?!
Mark Tatlow

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:
John Donnelly wrote:how many more do you need for South Pelaw!?!?!?!

I dread to think, at least the Parkside kits go together easily in a day so a couple of months should see me good :D

John

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Very impressed by that weathering for '3 foot viewing' - could you be a bit more specific about how you applied the oils?
David L-T

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:16 pm

i use two colours, burnt sienna and burnt umber. The oil paint is just stippled on with a small brush mixing the 2 colours with a small amount of white spirit to dilute the oil, the burnt sienna is a lot more 'orange' to give the look of fresher rust. As the oil dries, the texture gets a bit more subtle. Once the oil has had a chance to dry after 3 or 4 days, I go back to add smaller streaks and a wash to finish off.

John
Last edited by John Donnelly on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Very interesting, John. I'm glad no brushes had to be scalped to produce the results!
David L-T

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Cheers David, it's a technique I've used in 1/35 scale for armour dioramas but wasn't sure how it would scale down to 1/76 but it has worked out OK albeit it's not something you'd want to try with your best brushes :?

None of the wagons are going to win any prizes but in a long rake I reckon I'll get away with it. Strangely though, I'm pretty much the opposite with locos which, if all goes to plan, will all be sprung with extra detail etc...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Going back to the 16 tonners, I am aware that it is unlikely that the TOPS panels would be rusty but, as the wagons all come with the same numbers and exactly the same weathering, I had to do something to make them individual and partly covering the numbers was one way to do it...

John

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:41 am

I too am very impressed by the rusting of the bodywork on the 16T minerals, typical of the state they got into by the mid- to late-1960s. So far as the chassis is concerned though I would question whether it is worth keeping the existing Bachmann chassis even for 'layout wagons'; Morton brake cross shafts and bottom doors were not regarded as compatible, so Dia 1/102 vehicles such as B25304 had either side brakes, not Morton. To add to the problem, it looks as though both wagons have the brake shoes the wrong way round; dropping the levers takes the brakes off.

Morton brake wagons only had two brake shoes, on the plain lever side. Facing that side, the end door was always on the right, until rebodying, when it became random. However, Dia 1/102 were not part of the 1970s rebodying programme, being withdrawn by the early 1970s, although they would have been partially replated in the early to mid-1960s. B25304 and its sister were part of a batch built in 1946/7 by Fairfield, so would probably have been subject to replating fairly early in the 1960s as the bodies had a lifespan of around 15 years.

It will not be very obvious in a passing train, but 1/102 minerals lacked the corner reinforcements on the body, as well as having different brakes, so Bachmann, despite the wide variety of prototypes to choose from, seem to have produced a version which never existed.

Noel
Regards
Noel

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks for the information Noel, certainly food for thought...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 pm

More weathering work on the 21 tonners some of which are still waiting for new wheelsets...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Three of the 21 tonners are all but finished, just a bit weathering to add to the underframes:

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:54 pm

A week off work has enabled me to crack on with the 21 tonners and I've now done 8 of them (a mix of Hornby, detailed Dapol and Parkside) which just need the under frames weathering to complete...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:53 pm

A new wagon for the fleet, a Cambrian SPA finished ex works as that it how they were when the appeared at Consett in 1980.

John

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:29 pm

those wagons are absolutely great, please whether the mini though, it grates to see a superbly made and weathered layout spoilt by shiny road vehicles

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks Phil,

Yes, the Mini does need weathering, it's not fixed as the little one likes to push it round the road...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Built a Parkside 13T Steel Open yesterday and it's ready for decals and weathering:

Does anyone know of a source of decals for the pre TOPS version of this wagon, I've tried Cambridge Custom Transfers and Railtec with no luck...

John

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Modelmaster does a set IIRC.

HTH

David

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks David, found them.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Can anyone tell me if these wagons had a wooden floor? The floor of the kit has planks moulded in to it but I don't know if they are steel or wood...

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Found a pic that shows a wooden floor.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/article ... side-wagon

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Floor has been painted and weathered...

John

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Neat.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks Andy. Forgot to say, the basic colours are Vallejo Deck Tan for the 'grey' planks and Vallejo Buff for the two newer ones. Weathering is simply multiple washes of a Mig Filter 'Brown for Dark Green'.

John

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:00 pm

Weathering of the under frames of the 21 tonners is under way using pastel chalks.

John

Return to “John Donnelly”